Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

3rd Gear problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 10:05 PM
Cossack_Rafe
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 3rd Gear problem

i have an 07 electra glide i was riding today in 3rd gear only when under exceleration i noticed what seemed like it was missing but after a couple of times it occurred to me that it was possibly a tooth off of 3rd gear causing this i havent had any problems in any of the other gears what are the odds of this being the problem and why only 3rd gear i would have expected this on first before i would have 3rd

Old 12-03-2012, 08:05 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

If you truly believe it is missing a tooth you better get it apart before you are missing a lot of teeth. Are you sure your clutch isn't dragging?

Old 12-03-2012, 02:24 PM
Cossack_Rafe
2nd Gear

not sure about the clutch dragging i haven't notice this prob in any other gear seems to me that it would occur through out all gears my question i guess now would be where to get parts if this is the case from what i have seen it looks to be a fairly easy job to reair i will also need a manual or parts brake down of the transmission not sure about where i could dload this

Old 12-03-2012, 03:02 PM
JohnnyC
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

What are your driving habits? Are you a wheelie popping, tire smooking, gear jammer? Or an Easy Does It rider?

Missing tranny tooth, maybe. Shaft bearing going in tranny, possibly. It's not unheard of.

Just for the heck of it, drain the tranny and look closely at the magnet on the plug, and sift through the oil looking for debris.

Old 12-03-2012, 03:22 PM
Cossack_Rafe
2nd Gear

i am used to riding a night train finding out the ultra is just not as durable as the evo night train with a 5 speed so yes to you question i am probably harder on the ultra than she deserves i will be checking the fluid for parts debree have never toredown the trans before looks like i will be buy a manual so i can see the breakdown is there a place on line i can get the breakdown of the transmission next question who would be the most economical for part thanks for all help