Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Reverse shift (Aka GP shift)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2013, 03:44 AM
Kazu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reverse shift (Aka GP shift)

Hello everyone.

I pick up my 2014 HD Fat boy Lo in a few months. Already paid for, I just brought it through the Military new car sales. So just waiting for the 2014 models to "ship".

Wondering if anyone has seen/does reverse shifting? All my bikes I've owned for 7 years have been sport bikes, and I've always converted them to GP shift pattern. Since I'll still own my fleet of bikes, plus my new pride and joy (HD) I want to keep up with tradition and muscle memory and change it into GP shift as well. Normally this is a really easy process, but since I've never messed with a HD, just wanting to know if it's same process of just fliping up the connector so it's reverse, or if HD has something special that prevents that?

Old 03-01-2013, 04:54 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

The touring models all come with GP shifters. Its called a heel/toe shifter

Honestly, you can do anything if you have money, but to what gain? (For those that wonder why) The idea behind race bike shifting is that you can upshift on corner exits without having your toe under the shifter (and possibly dragging) and you can upshift while still hanging off (transitioning actually) because all you have to do tap the shifter down. You could do it if you have enough money but it would involve some footpeg relocation that would drag even sooner the stock setup.

Last edited by Campy Roadie; 03-01-2013 at 04:57 AM.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:13 AM
Kazu
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Guess I'll hire out a fabrication for the part. Yes, a sport bike that's all true. But I've built up 7 years of muscle memory, and reflexes. Up shifting and down shifting during a emergency is second nature after spending countless hours practicing with a buddy..lol he led, I trailed. Randomly he would brake, I'd decel and stop as quickly as possible..lol We played that game for weeks..lol

But thanks! I"ll get that dealt with when I arrive. Not gonna change habits I've spent years perfecting..lol Just needed to know if it was possible, and the requirements..lol

Old 03-01-2013, 06:23 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,063 Likes on 2,501 Posts

As someone who'd ridden bikes with this shifting set up I'd like to see what you come up with. I'm always interested in seeing modifications; whether I'd do them to my bike or not. Some of the best ideas I ever saw came from this board.

I wasn't kidding about the heel/toe thing though. Granted, both upshift and downshifts would be stomps. Is that a possibility?

Old 03-02-2013, 12:24 PM
tripn88
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not sure bout yours but all I would have to do on my sporty is change the shifter arm from facing down to facing up and make a new linkage.

Old 03-02-2013, 12:44 PM
Scaredofrain
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think that seven years of "muscle memory" is a bit of balony. I mean, come on, what is seven years? There's no advatage that I can see in reverse gearshift. I think you just want us all to know that you have more than one bike and a brand new "allready paid for" HD too.
I for one am not impressed.