Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

new 18" ape's and cable now clutch don't engage

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 08:13 AM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new 18" ape's and cable now clutch don't engage

got new 18" ape's and cable's installed, all light's,blinker's work but the clutch will not , i installed the cable like it said in the manual.i have the bottom part of disc with the tang in the slot of the cover then the 3 ***** in the groove's and then the top of the disc with the cable installed. when you pull the lever you can see the disc move up and down as it turn's, then with the cover on you can see the clutch move in and out as you pull the lever. with the bike in gear and you pull on clutch lever bike will not move i have not start the bike yet i don't want to start it and pull in the clutch and put it in gear and go thru the wall of my shop,,, any help will be nice,,,,thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 12:20 PM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

The plates may just be sticky rock the bike back and forth with the clutch lever pulled in it may break free. Did you adjust the clutch at the clutch and then the cable? If you have a way of measuring it, measure how much throw you are getting( how much the pressure plate moves out when the lever is pulled in) optimum would be .090. Also when making a clutch adjustment run the adjuster screw all the way in before you make the adjustment to be sure the the ramps are fully bottomed out. Did you put some axle grease in each of the ball bearing pockets of the ramps before you put the ***** in place to make sure they did not move during reassembly?

Old 03-13-2013, 06:36 PM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate

hey mark, thanks for your reply, i did not rock the bike yet i will try that also. i been workin on this thing sense my 1st post today taking the cover off and on checking the ***** (and i did not use any grease) i will when i go back in my shop tonight. just about everything you say i did it or i will do it tonight i wll us the grease and also i will be measuring the thow also,you can watch it move up as you pull the lever now and it moves up about and inch it looks like,,,,thanks,,,,i will be back,,,,,keith

Old 03-13-2013, 10:06 PM
ajayrk
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I think the lever is too low, it shifted while the cable had slack in it. Remove the filler plug and use a screw driver to pull up on the lever. Be sure to allow slak in the cable to allow it to move up. Then rest all the adjustments starting with the one under the derby cover.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:53 AM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate

thanks AJ i will try that this morning i played with it last night be kept falling a sleep in my shop but hope to get it going today, (what a waste new fatboy 18" apes and can't ride because i change the clutch cable),,,,thank's,,,keith

Old 03-14-2013, 05:07 PM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate

well still the same dam thing ,i did everything took the cover off the trans again for the 9th time removed the snap ring and check the ball's were in the right place and put a lil grease on them so they will not move out the slot's when i put it back together. i look at the cable and made sure nothing hit anything when it moved installed cover took out dip stick and made sure that the arm was all the way back and the cable was all the way out. but with all that done still the same damm thing, you can see the clutch move in and out when you pull the lever i tryed everything clutch ajust all the way in with slack in the cable, clutch all the way out with no slack and every other way i even rock the bike from side to side and tap on the clutch just in case the plate's were stuck together but still with the bike in gear and you pull on the clutch it will not move it will not roll when you pull the clutch,,,man i need some HELP,,,,,,keith

Last edited by my dixie wreck; 03-14-2013 at 05:10 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 06:21 PM
ajayrk
Road Master

1988 has the tapered shaft clutch hub and it is very sesative to clutch stackup height. I have seen broken friction disk in that model cause problems.

Was the clutch working before the changes?
Have you adjusted the screw in the center of the clutch to get the proper clerance?
Have you taken off the primary cover and inspected the clutch pack?
Does the spring have a crack in it.
Does you clutch pack measure .885 - .900?
Does the arm all the way back mean that it is up all the way?

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...-80805-H030051

http://www.shopronniesharleydavidson...-80915-H030059

Attached Thumbnails new 18" ape's and cable now clutch don't engage-clutch.jpg   new 18" ape's and cable now clutch don't engage-trans.jpg  

Last edited by ajayrk; 03-14-2013 at 06:26 PM.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:12 PM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate

it's a 03 fatboy, the clutch was working before i change the cable and yes i adjusted the screw in the center of the clutch, i have not remove the primany and have not check for a crack in the spring and did not measure the clutch-pak yet. the arm is all the way up under the cover i guess i will have to pull the primary tomorrow. i don't have a manual for my 03 fatboy but have one for my fxstc 1987 to 1999 are the clutch's about the same i just put a rivera primo belt-drive on my 1988 stc, should the 03 fatboy clutch be the same as the 1988 stc. what trying to say is if i put a pro-clutch on my 88 stc i should be able to find out what's wrong with the 03 fatboy clutch,,i thing i did remember that when i was takeing off the cable and when i was leting slack off the clutch i herd a snap in the clutch i was thinking that it was the spring's and maybe the plate's,,,,time to go and lay in the gap till tomorrow,,,,,later,,,,keith

Old 03-15-2013, 04:40 PM
ajayrk
Road Master

'03 clutch is a little different and the stack up height is different. The '03 does not require any special tools too remove the spring and clutch pack. Remove the primary and use a 10mm socket to remove the 6 screws that hold the spring retainer in place.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:49 PM
my dixie wreck
Intermediate

well just to see what would happen, what i did was started it up pull in the clutch and put it in 1st gear and it did not take off and go thur the shop wall, i let out on the clutch and it took off the clutch plate's must have been stuck together. so now i'm hanging on the ape's and having alot of fun. and i want to thank every one for giving up your time and help, it still is nice to know that someone will stop what they doing to help someone ,,,thank's,,,my dixie wreck

Quick Reply: new 18" ape's and cable now clutch don't engage