Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

adventures in leak chasing

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2014, 01:21 AM
RollieB
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adventures in leak chasing

My new to me 02 ultra was leaking pretty bad on the left side so I started pulling it all apart to change all usual suspect seals.I went to my local dealer for all the stuff I needed to do the job and the final drive locking tool was on the list.Parts girl told me locking tool was $240 and would take six weeks to get here!I asked if they would rent me one for an hour or two and was told they had alot of engine jobs on the go and couldn't spare it...maybe she meant transmission jobs I dunno.Anyhow,I grabbed a dozen beer on the way home and, when I got there,i got out my calipers,straight edge and compass.I measured up the pulley and made up a template.I dug around for a chunk of scrap,transfered my templates over,cut em out and built my own.All it cost me was some time and a hangover.I'm kinda glad they didn't help me out this time.

Attached Thumbnails adventures in leak chasing-fdlt.jpg  
Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 AM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Thumbs up Tool makers rule!!!

Tool making is what made us human! Nice job, I love handmade tools. Needed that deep well socket for the sprocket nut on my 4 spd. That monster socket was running $100+ from online vendors.
I already had a 1.25" combo wrench I first tried on that nut with no luck. Cut the box end off, welded it to a piece of pipe, then bought a 3/4 drive socket that fit inside the other end of the pipe. Tapped it in and welded it, then ground the box end flat so it would grab all of the nut. $15 for the combo wrench, $9.50 for the socket, 0 for the pipe I had laying around, so for $24.50 I had a bullet proof tool. Have used it several times with air impact and it has worked flawlessly.

Old 03-17-2014, 11:51 AM
djl
HDF Community Team

Received 2,031 Likes on 1,499 Posts

Originally Posted by RollieB
Parts girl told me locking tool was $240 and would take six weeks to get here!I asked if they would rent me one for an hour or two and was told they had alot of engine jobs on the go and couldn't spare it...maybe she meant transmission jobs I dunno.Anyhow,I grabbed a dozen beer on the way home and, when I got there,i got out my calipers,straight edge and compass.I measured up the pulley and made up a template.I dug around for a chunk of scrap,transfered my templates over,cut em out and built my own.
First, you can buy that tool from George's Garage for about $90. However, what I want to know is now that you have made the tool, what would you think a reasonable price would be to make another one for sale? Just curious.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:15 PM
DeJavu
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Wink One off is one off!

Originally Posted by djl
First, you can buy that tool from George's Garage for about $90. However, what I want to know is now that you have made the tool, what would you think a reasonable price would be to make another one for sale? Just curious.
Probably $85 plus shipping, my time is my time, my time would become your time $. I'm sure George's would be prettier.LOL!

Old 03-17-2014, 01:08 PM
RollieB
Cruiser

Ya djl you're right. I've seen them as low as $40 online. The problem for me is being north of the border and the shipping kills the deal. It still would be nowhere near the $240 they want for the bar and shield logo but time was a factor in this case. Couldn't wait anymore cuz the snow is finally going away!
I don't think I could compete with the online prices lol. Also,as you can see I drew a harley logo on it so that ups the price too.

Old 03-17-2014, 01:12 PM
RollieB
Cruiser

Oh and dejavu is right,pretty it ain't!

Old 03-17-2014, 01:32 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Oops, double post.

Last edited by djl; 03-17-2014 at 01:36 PM.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:33 PM
djl
HDF Community Team

Originally Posted by DeJavu
Probably $85 plus shipping, my time is my time, my time would become your time $. I'm sure George's would be prettier.LOL!
Understood, just curious what you thought a reasonable price would be having made the trans pulley socket; George sells that one for $82.50. You're right, George's tool would undoubtedly be a better looking tool.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:35 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Most the time a gloved hand holding the pulley and a good impact will spin that nut off with out a locking tool. if it doesn't a little heat added will do the trick. The problem with heat is you destroy the main drive gear seal which is not a big deal for me but for the garage guy it can be a PITA. Good job on the homemade tools.

Old 03-18-2014, 10:37 AM
RollieB
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Most the time a gloved hand holding the pulley and a good impact will spin that nut off with out a locking tool. if it doesn't a little heat added will do the trick. The problem with heat is you destroy the main drive gear seal which is not a big deal for me but for the garage guy it can be a PITA. Good job on the homemade tools.
Once I get a decent size compressor that will be the way I do it.thanks for the suggestion. You're definitely right about the main drive gear seal being a pita. I pretty much mangled mine getting it out of there. Is there a good way of getting it out without pulling the main shaft?