Primary/Transmission/Driveline/Clutch Find answers to general powertrain, primary and transmission. Have clutch issues and need suggestions? Post them here.

Hydraulics???

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 07:42 PM
fireguync
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hydraulics???

I have a 97 FLHRI. When i hold the clutch handle in my clutch pressure bleeds down. I know in auto this mean clutch hydraulics. I cannot find any information on my clutch system to let me know if this is the case. Can someone help please.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:40 PM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,570 Likes on 2,888 Posts

Originally Posted by fireguync
I have a 97 FLHRI. When i hold the clutch handle in my clutch pressure bleeds down. I know in auto this mean clutch hydraulics. I cannot find any information on my clutch system to let me know if this is the case. Can someone help please.
Sounds like it is bleeding pressure off in the master cylinder.

Old 04-02-2014, 05:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,852 Likes on 2,419 Posts

When new your bike had a cable-operated clutch, so if it has a hydraulic one that has been added. Your diagnosis is sound, but post photos of your clutch lever, so we can help more.

Old 04-02-2014, 11:39 AM
corliss@bakerdrivetrain.com
Banned
Received 1,856 Likes on 1,287 Posts

Want some rare, honest, heart felt advice. Go back to a cable clutch, hydraulics suck.

Old 04-10-2014, 07:41 PM
fireguync
6th Gear

It has a cable..I just replaced that 2 seasons ago.. I have never had just cable always had hydraulic.. That is why I used the description I did..

Old 04-11-2014, 08:08 AM
Banned

A mechanical cable clutch has no fluid or hydraulic action. The first place I would check for a problem would be the clutch actuator cover. This is the cover on the right side of the bike where your cable goes in. Couple things to look for, make sure the cable is securely attached and not fraying at the end. Second the cable is attached to a coupling which in turn is attached to your inner ramp. Below the inner ramp are 3 ball bearings and the outer ramp. This ball and ramp assembly is held in by a retaining ring. Make sure all these components are in place. If the snap ring is in place remove it and lift up the inner ramp. There will be pockets wear the three ***** ride in the ramps, make sure the 3 ***** are in their respective pockets. If they are not put a dab of axle or similar grease in each pocket and inspect and replace the ***** into the pockets and reassemble. Once you get that far report back and I'll explain clutch adjustment.

Old 09-11-2014, 05:10 PM
CGlider
Stage IV
Angry Hydraulic Clutch Woes

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
Want some rare, honest, heart felt advice. Go back to a cable clutch, hydraulics suck.
Is there any way to retro a cable clutch on a 2014 Electra Glide Police? I hate the factory hydraulic clutch. Every motor officer I know who has one hates it also. There is no friction zone. It's either engaged or not engaged. Engagement occurs far from the grip so the fingers have little control.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by CGlider
Is there any way to retro a cable clutch on a 2014 Electra Glide Police? I hate the factory hydraulic clutch. Every motor officer I know who has one hates it also. There is no friction zone. It's either engaged or not engaged. Engagement occurs far from the grip so the fingers have little control.
I see no reason why not, just get a 2013 mechanical side cover(clutch actuator cover the one on the right side), a ball and ramp assembly for the cover, new cable, clutch push rod, right side throw out rod and bearing assembly, adjuster screw and release plate. You will need a snap ring for the ball and ramp assembly as well. I know it seems like a lot but it can be done just a lot of small parts to gather.

Old 09-12-2014, 10:44 AM
CGlider
Stage IV
Wink

Originally Posted by Mark@ Baker Drivetrain
I see no reason why not, just get a 2013 mechanical side cover(clutch actuator cover the one on the right side), a ball and ramp assembly for the cover, new cable, clutch push rod, right side throw out rod and bearing assembly, adjuster screw and release plate. You will need a snap ring for the ball and ramp assembly as well. I know it seems like a lot but it can be done just a lot of small parts to gather.
Thanks Mark, that will get me started.