Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Helmet Review - Nolan N42

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2007, 04:05 AM
GermanyBert
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Helmet Review - Nolan N42

I picked up a new helmet at a motorcycle show in Sinsheim Germany last weekend.

I got the Nolan N42.

I have been looking for a 3/4 helmet or as it is called in Europe a Jet helmet that I could use when I ride my Road Glide. I wanted a quality helmet that would provide maximum protection and still let me hear the music from my HD Advanced Music System which I plug my Creative ZEN M player into.

I was using my my cheapo HD half helmet since I could not hear my MP3 player with my Schuberth C2 full face helmet. A full face is also a bit overkill for a touring bike with a big 'ol fairing and windshield on the front. I will still be using the Schuberth C2 for riding the Sportster.

Initially I was looking at an HJC AC-3 because of the price and recommendations from others who have one. But this helmet does not come with a visor or some the other features of the Nolan N42.

HJC AC-3

There are quite a few features that I like on the Nolan N42:
[ul][*]Vision Protection System (VPS) - Flip up sun screen[*]Quick adjustable chin strap - VERY NICE![*]Flip up main visor[*]Vent that can be easily opened or closed on top[*]Removeable/Washable inner shell

So the Nolan N42 won out over the HJC.

While riding, the helmet is very quiet and blocks a lot of the wind noise while still letting me have that "In The Wind" feeling.

Things I don't like.[*]When raising the visor to the full up postion the helmet tends to roll back onto the lower part of the neck.[*]When riding at a speed of around 40 MPH the visor will come down if it is in the up postion. I don't know if I would call this a bad thing or not since I usually pull it down at higher speeds anyway.[*]The word Nolan is under the clear coat so it can not be removed. I like to remove all markings from my helmets so I can customise them myself.

I would highly recommend this helmet to anyone looking for a quality 3/4 helmet and would rate it an 8 out of 10.

Here are the specs..

Full size image of the specs can be viewed here: http://v2-forum.com/photopost/data/500/N42.jpg

Here are photos of the helmet.

Here is a front view with the visor in multiple positions...plus my ugly mug as a bonus.

Side view with visor in multiple postions.
[/ul]

Back view....yeah yeah...I know...I need to shave my neck!

Inside View.

Quick adjustable chin strap.

Top Vent in open position.

Old 02-25-2007, 10:33 PM
Toytech
Tourer
Default RE: Helmet Review - Nolan N42

I also have this helmet and a N100. Like all the features of both. The only negative on the N42 is lack of good air through the vent and with the vent open the roaring noise. Hard to go wrong with the Nolan helmets.

Joe

Old 02-26-2007, 02:28 PM
nb472
Road Captain
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

nice review!

Old 11-24-2007, 12:14 PM
Jet x 4
Tourer

OL and I also have these helmets and we are fairly satisfied with them.