Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Cross Country 2015

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2015, 12:29 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by billnourse
If you do this route you are going to get a bunch of 10,000+ ft. passes and only miss Monarch. Molas Pass, Coal Bank Pass, Red Mountain Pass on the MDH. Between Durango and Monte Vista you are going to go over Wolf Creek Pass. This would b a great route. MDH is a bit challenging. Just take it easy and don't over ride your comfort level. Wolf Creek is an easier pass with mostly easy sweepers and mostly 3 or 4 lane. If you have done Going to the Sun and Sitegraves you probably won't have an issue with this route. Sitegraves is damn narrow and crooked, just not as high and the last time I was over it there was sand everywhere.

After you leave Salida going to Canyon City you will go by Royal Gorge. This is worth a stop and a ride across the suspension bridge. If you happen to do all this, you are probably going to have your fears in check or be a bowl of jelly.

Hope this helps.

Bill
Thanks Bill. This does help quite a bit. I'll opt for the "fears in check" vs "bowl of jelly"!

Old 01-21-2015, 02:49 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

50 is a nice road to travel across country on. You'll enjoy Nevada once you're 75 miles into it. Since you'll already be out there it'd be a shame not to take an extra few days to enjoy at least a little bit of Colorado though. It offers some of the most scenic riding in the country.

Three side rides off 50 I would recommend are:

Eastern Utah take 191 down to 128 (can continue to Moab for lodging, food, etc also ride through Arches Nat Park) but take 128 up to Cisco and back on 50/70.

From Grand Junction take 6 just past Rifle to Silt and turn right. Follow that to Collbran, Grand Mesa, Cedaredge, and back to 50.

550 (Million Dollar Highway) south to Durango, 160 east to South Fork, then 149 up through Lake City and back to 50 is a great ride. However if heights really will bother you it probably will be best to skip 550 because there are a few places where the drop off is pretty close to the road edge. 149 would be fine though.

I would skirt around St Louis then back on 50. In WV there's a little stretch of congestion from Clarksburg through Bridgeport after that it gets nice to the VA line.

You're going to have a blast!

Old 01-21-2015, 08:44 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Ridewva
50 is a nice road to travel across country on. You'll enjoy Nevada once you're 75 miles into it. Since you'll already be out there it'd be a shame not to take an extra few days to enjoy at least a little bit of Colorado though. It offers some of the most scenic riding in the country.

Three side rides off 50 I would recommend are:

Eastern Utah take 191 down to 128 (can continue to Moab for lodging, food, etc also ride through Arches Nat Park) but take 128 up to Cisco and back on 50/70.

From Grand Junction take 6 just past Rifle to Silt and turn right. Follow that to Collbran, Grand Mesa, Cedaredge, and back to 50.

550 (Million Dollar Highway) south to Durango, 160 east to South Fork, then 149 up through Lake City and back to 50 is a great ride. However if heights really will bother you it probably will be best to skip 550 because there are a few places where the drop off is pretty close to the road edge. 149 would be fine though.

I would skirt around St Louis then back on 50. In WV there's a little stretch of congestion from Clarksburg through Bridgeport after that it gets nice to the VA line.

You're going to have a blast!
I really appreciate this input from you guys. I just looked at these roads/POI on the map and they look great. I'm curious what highway 130 and 65 are like on heaing towards Delta? Again, great recommendations! Thank you.

Old 01-21-2015, 09:22 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 344 Likes on 197 Posts

Looking at the map now Dave forget what I wrote continuing to Rifle. it would be better to get off 6 on to 65 through Mesa, staying on 65 winding up to Grand Mesa. There are countless beautiful lakes up there, then wind down to Ceraredge to Delta.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:28 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
I really appreciate this input from you guys. I just looked at these roads/POI on the map and they look great. I'm curious what highway 130 and 65 are like on heaing towards Delta? Again, great recommendations! Thank you.
65 from Grand Junction to Delta is a great ride. I would definitely recommend it, and it is not too challenging. And if you do this, take 92 through Crawford to get back to 50, then you can do 550 to Durango if you still want MDH. If you haven't gotten your fill of beauty by now, then take Ridwva's route from South Fork to Gunnison after you go over Wolf Creek from Durango to South Fork.

PM me if you want a phone # for more info.

Bill

Old 01-31-2015, 09:54 PM
MCway
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did that in 2008. Ship my Ultra from Philadelphia to Dudley Perkins HD in San Francisco. When I flew in I took the shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn. From there is was a short walk to the dealer to get my bike. I took 17 days to ride back. Seen lots great sights. I did it in early June too. If you are going to pass through Yellowstone (which I recommend) be sure you have warm riding gear. Yellowstone Lake was still frozen solid and Bear tooth Pass was closed due to an avalanche. I filled a small vile of Pacific Ocean water and rode to the Jersey shore to dump it in the Atlanic, so it was a true coast to coast ride. Have fun and slow down to take it all in.

Old 02-04-2015, 10:46 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I went to that section of 50 called Monarch pass or something in late Aug in a freakin storm. It was a down pore and nowhere to hide. Good ride though. Check the weather.

Old 02-04-2015, 07:53 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by MCway
I did that in 2008. Ship my Ultra from Philadelphia to Dudley Perkins HD in San Francisco. When I flew in I took the shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn. From there is was a short walk to the dealer to get my bike. I took 17 days to ride back. Seen lots great sights. I did it in early June too. If you are going to pass through Yellowstone (which I recommend) be sure you have warm riding gear. Yellowstone Lake was still frozen solid and Bear tooth Pass was closed due to an avalanche. I filled a small vile of Pacific Ocean water and rode to the Jersey shore to dump it in the Atlanic, so it was a true coast to coast ride. Have fun and slow down to take it all in.
I'm shipping to Dudley Perkins as well. Thanks for the lea on taking the shuttle to the Hilton Garden Inn. I won't be going far enough north to hit yellowstone. I did that in 2013. For my cross country trips, I start them literally at a local beach on the Atlantic and touch the water and collect sand from the Pacific. Can't wait for June!