Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Advise on a Cross Country Trip ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 10:21 PM
timbakersr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any Advise on a Cross Country Trip ...

I'm thinking of taking a cross country trip on my 2008 FLHTC in the next few weeks. Is this the right time of year? Or was it better a month ago. I want to go from Ga to Ca and back I have alotted about 4 weeks to do this. I know I should plan on at least 100 dollars per day cost and I do plan on camping every night I can.
Has anyone done this at this time of year? Should I take the southern route or northern route. I don't need to go see everything on the way. I just want to wing it and meet people and just ride everyday and see what I see.
If anyone has done this adventure and has a bit of advise on something that is realy important I'd appreciate your imput.
Thanks in advance. Tim

Old 09-23-2008, 10:30 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

All I can say is if you're thinking about taking the Northern route, you better bring your warm gear, electric if you have it, and your Rain gear as well. A month ago would have been much better. But it's still gorgeous during the day. Nights get pretty crisp, and it doesn't really warm up comfortably until around 11:00. I personally like riding in the cool, crisp weather. Just be aware of it. That's the story from Western Montana....

Old 09-23-2008, 10:48 PM
SikRyd
Tourer

I would have taken the trip prior to school starting back up. Less traffic, more bikers along the route to meet up with, better weather, longer daylight hours, and less people at campgrounds to bs with...ect.
Advantages would be less people travelling, hence better hotel rates, emptier campgrounds, start of fall crisp weather, possibly some color changes on foliage, and more possibility of having a crazy campground adventure with a h@#$#y chick since there is less competition (well I couldn't think of any other advantages!)
Have fun - either way cruisin' across country is an absolute blast. I cannnnnnnnnn't wait till I do it again! I love riding with no destination and ending up wherever, staying wherever, doing whatever, as long as I am riding and healthy!!!

Old 09-23-2008, 11:04 PM
timbakersr
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Sikryd2
I would have taken the trip prior to school starting back up. Less traffic, more bikers along the route to meet up with, better weather, longer daylight hours, and less people at campgrounds to bs with...ect.
Advantages would be less people travelling, hence better hotel rates, emptier campgrounds, start of fall crisp weather, possibly some color changes on foliage, and more possibility of having a crazy campground adventure with a h@#$#y chick since there is less competition (well I couldn't think of any other advantages!)
Have fun - either way cruisin' across country is an absolute blast. I cannnnnnnnnn't wait till I do it again! I love riding with no destination and ending up wherever, staying wherever, doing whatever, as long as I am riding and healthy!!!
Great Reply! I'm very incouraged.

Old 09-23-2008, 11:21 PM
Mighty MO
Tourer

The best advice I can give is pack that bike and get the heck on the road. It would be a crime to have the opportunity and the desire to make a trip of this magnitude, and waste it for fear of not doing it right. Swing by Wal-Mart if you forgot anything or a bike shop if you need something for the scoot. Keep us posted and send pics.

Old 09-24-2008, 05:42 AM
KraZeeInOhio
Advanced

I did a similar trip last October. Columbus, OH to San Diego for 3-1/2 weeks. Take your cold weather gear, the high desert gets cold in the evenings, night and early morning. It was great time of the year to do this trip, less tourists/traffic and I plan on doing it again next year.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:17 AM
Jinks
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Take the southern route. Last time we did a coast to coast we did it in August & took US-50 on the way west. One morning in either Colorado or Nevada we damn near froze the first two hours. Stopped for breakfast, & it was a pleasant morning ride after that. Stopped for lunch, & you could cook burgers on the gas tank when we came back out! This time of year you'll have better weather the further south you go.

Old 09-24-2008, 06:41 AM
sooie
Tourer

this time of year you realy need to watch for DEER

Old 09-24-2008, 07:04 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Even with the southern route you will have some high mountain passes, so as others have said, take your cold weather gear. Here in Wyoming we are down into the low 40s and even 30s over night now and from this time on there is always a chance of snow. If you have one, take a weather band radio along and adjust your route if needed.

Enjoy the trip and take lots of pictures, you're going to have a blast....so far I've only been able to dream of a trip like that.

Old 09-24-2008, 07:19 AM
Magos
Tourer

A few buddies and I just got back from a 5,100 mile trip from Michigan to Southern CA and back. We did it in 7 days, 7.5 hours. It was a BLAST but I would have made sure to have the following:

WATERPROOF BOOTS and GLOVES. The rain gear did help, but not for the hands and feet. We had plenty of water, tools, etc. We had packed everything else needed which I would suggest you include "Under Armor" brand thermal underwear and lots of gold bond powder for the lower regions. You'll need that. The rest is basic stuff in my opinion.

Good luck and take lots of pics!!

Quick Reply: Any Advise on a Cross Country Trip ...