Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

2100 miles West to East in mid-April?

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2015, 08:52 AM
Mr.Bluster
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2100 miles West to East in mid-April?

Contemplating Sonoma, California, to the Midwest in mid-April. Sone 2100 miles. Riding solo on a 96 ci Softail Fatboy Lo. Only a dumb phone and printed maps, no GPS. Combination of Interstate and state highways. Avoiding major metro areas. Will book flea-bait motels. No hurry to get there. Relative newbee. Riding only since August 2013.

Happened across this great site:
http://www.motorcycle.com/features/5...s-america.html

Think I can do it? Or even should? Your experiences?

Old 01-20-2015, 10:07 AM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Mid April is a bit early but if that's when you have the time, that's when you go. Try heading to the east side of Sacramento and pick up Rt. 50. You will be forced to take some interstate (I-70) in Utah. Anyway, you can take 50 all the way to Ocean City Maryland. So ride as far as you want.

Just use the bypass routes around the major cities and you will have a blast.

Oh, get an electric vest or jacket liner and heated grips. You will need them.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:17 AM
longrideshields-2
Premium Sponsor
Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

So we are looking to sponsor a few riders who are traveling the farthest and most importantly the best possible route to Daytona Bike Week. We are looking for riders that are making stops at some amazing places, bars, destinations, attractions, etc.

We will provide you with a full LRS ( www.longrideshields.com ) sponosrship, go pros, and any else that may be needed.

The point of this is for us to create a Video blog / stor about the road to Daytona Bike week..

If you have any other questions please contact us at anytime

Kristian Walters
Kristian@qualityplastics.com

www.longrideshields.com

Old 01-20-2015, 04:56 PM
Michael Psycle
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,969 Likes on 1,414 Posts

Colorado could be a problem in mid April. In mid May, 2011 I did a cross country ride. My return was suppose to be through Colorado. But there was a winter storm that just sat over Colorado for an entire week, closing the Interstate periodically because of blowing snow and ice. We had to head south to New Mexico and Arizona to get back to California.

Old 01-20-2015, 06:11 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

[QUOTE=Think I can do it? Or even should? Your experiences?[/QUOTE]

Can you?
How determined are you? If you are determined enough, you can do it on a Vespa.

Should you do it?
Your parents and wife aren't on here. Only you can answer that. If you have only ridden 9 months by the time you start the trip, your inexperience is your greatest risk factor.

My experiences? Mostly good. The bad just adds to the adventure and my memories.

How are you getting the bike to Sonoma?

Last edited by Jonesee; 01-20-2015 at 06:18 PM.
Old 01-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

In April, I would think the further east you get, the wetter it's likely to be. May or June might be more pleasant, if that's possible at all.

Old 01-20-2015, 09:31 PM
nevada72
Banned
Received 25,622 Likes on 12,010 Posts

I've gone spring skiing in April in the Rockies. Chances are, you'll be fine. but things change in a hurry at elevation so prepare for a layover.

Old 01-20-2015, 11:32 PM
Colorido
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Mid-April is still ski season in the high-country of Colorado. I've skied closing day in 2 feet of fresh before and we even had an "extended season" just last year due to all of the late snow. Point is, you're likely to hit a good bit of winter storms from Nevada all the way to the great plains east of the Rockies that time of year.

If you have to go at that time and have an open schedule, I would ride down to the Mojave and pick up Rte 66 and follow it to the Mid-west. You'll miss all of the most likely snow/ice/winter storms areas until you get to the midwest.

If the weather looks good though, the guy that suggested Hwy 50 is spot on. 50 through Nevada is one of the most beautiful and isolated stretches of road in America.

Old 01-21-2015, 07:55 AM
switchglide12
Intermediate
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can you do it? Yes you can as long as you can read a map you can travel coast to coast and then some. I did x-country trip in early 90's no GPS just map of every state that I was traveling thru. I left day after tax day on April 16 from NY took all the Southern route on May 11 I was in San Francisco having good time. As long as you stay on southern states you will be fine. Make sure you have waterproof jacket pants glove and boots on. Spring you will get hit with nasty rain.

Old 01-21-2015, 06:29 PM
Hraefn
Road Master
Received 52 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Colorido
...Hwy 50 is spot on. 50 through Nevada is one of the most beautiful and isolated stretches of road in America.
+1 on the recommendation for U.S. 50...beautiful road. Another great road in Nevada is U.S. 6, which is actually significantly "lonelier" than 50. It's a great experience, but be very careful about gas/water.

Quick Reply: 2100 miles West to East in mid-April?