Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

help with Cincinnati area

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 07:00 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
Default help with Cincinnati area

going to be traveling THOUGH Cincinnati in june with a fairly large group and looking for the best route to skip the traffic and metro area. We need to get to 52 along the river.

any good hotels in the area of 52\275? thinking we might shoot for Maysville KY for hotels that night. I dont see alot hotels in the area of 52\275 and I prefer to be clear of the city so we can have a good start in am with no traffic

looks like route 1 might be the best plan to skip town and enjoy the road??

Last edited by scumBAGGER; 04-17-2015 at 07:41 AM.
Old 04-17-2015, 07:47 AM
dibe
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

What time of day are you planning on passing through? I live in Cleveland and have been through Cinci many times. The traffic has never really been that bad. Sure it is a little more congested but nothing crazy and I have never been stuck in a traffic jam passing through.

I don't think you'll run into any issues with the route you posted. You are pretty well south of downtown.

Can't help ya with the hotels.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:13 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by dibe
What time of day are you planning on passing through? I live in Cleveland and have been through Cinci many times. The traffic has never really been that bad. Sure it is a little more congested but nothing crazy and I have never been stuck in a traffic jam passing through.

I don't think you'll run into any issues with the route you posted. You are pretty well south of downtown.

Can't help ya with the hotels.
I have just the opposite experience with Cinci-tucky - ALWAYS hit bad traffic, weekend, weekday doesnt seem to matter.

I avoid the area as much as possible. If you going to hit it during peak time, I would just stay near the airport & then get out of town early the next day.

Old 04-17-2015, 08:39 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

hope to make it somewhere from noon to 2pm will be leaving either Peoria or Champagne

on a friday!!!

thanks for the help

Old 04-17-2015, 09:00 AM
Gunrunner72
Road Master
Received 368 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
I have just the opposite experience with Cinci-tucky - ALWAYS hit bad traffic, weekend, weekday doesnt seem to matter.

I avoid the area as much as possible. If you going to hit it during peak time, I would just stay near the airport & then get out of town early the next day.
Same here, traffic always sucks in Cincy unless it's between 9pm and 6am.

Maysville would be a good choice. Lots of history along the riverfront there.

Old 04-19-2015, 07:12 PM
mnbnd
Road Captain
Received 341 Likes on 178 Posts

Grew up in Cincy - live a couple hours north now but get down there a bit to see family. I'm no expert (and have just recently gotten into touiring) but if I was "going to be traveling THOUGH Cincinnati and looking for the best route to skip the traffic and metro area" I'd travel 275 rather than 50. Early afternoon on 275 should be pretty smooth - 71 and 75 on the other hand could be real problematic, 50's got a lot on traffic lights and goes through town, all the towns - at least the parts I've been on.

As for Maysville, we've done a couple rides there and in the area recently and its' a nice, scenic area with several lodging and food choices. We've stayed at the Hampton Inn and have been very pleased each time - the managers/clerks always have us park under the canopy so they can 'keep an eye' on the bikes - never any problems. The place is up-to-date, clean and the workers are friendly. There's a mexican restaurant sharing the parking lot which we always walk to for a couple cocktails and dinner - again, friendly folks - foods not bad. There's a real cool looking hotel in downtown Maysville -looks expensive so we've never stayed there but really don't know the rates or what it's like inside.

Again, no expert but let me know if you have any questions.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:12 PM
Tyree
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Definitely avoid I-75 and I-71 through the city. Maysville is a good choice for an overnight. The route you have to 52 avoids a lot of congestion. Another option to consider is to pickup the AA Highway aka Rt 9 in Wilder, KY to Maysville.

Old 04-19-2015, 10:55 PM
Osage66
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in Maysville so I might be able to help a little. I think you have the best route picked out for bypassing most of the Cincy traffic. I275 isn't too bad until you hit the I71-75 interchange. Traffic could get a little thicker from the interchange to the river but you should still make good time. The AA Highway will get you to Maysville faster but not much to see IMHO. I like your route on US 52 to just past Higginsport, then cross the Ohio River on the Agusta ferry (I think it's still $2 a bike). Pick up KY 8 along the river and it's about twelve miles to Maysville. The hotel downtown is the French Quarter Inn. Not sure about rates but I think it compares to a Hampton. A lot a bikers pick the French Quarter since it is walking distance to Chandler's Restaurant if you're ready for steak and O'Rouark's Pub for beer and pub grub. Hampton Inn is nice too and right next to Tumbleweed.

Old 04-20-2015, 11:52 AM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You didn't say where you were headed from Cincy, but might I suggest a run through Portsmouth, OH and take a stroll along the Mural Wall on Front St. I think that it is worth a look. Keep an eye out for the cat. When you get through walking along the wall, look for a place called the Scioto Ribber at 1026 Gallia St. You can get filled up there.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:34 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your route is fine. I live in Southern Indiana and have taken the southern route around Cincy several times. If you take 52 south be sure to stop at Grants birthplace just something to see. The ferry to Augusta is OK but my wife was afraid to descend from the road down the hill to the ferry off 52. She finally did and things were fine.

Quick Reply: help with Cincinnati area