Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

NOLA info needed

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2015, 09:23 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,605 Posts
Default NOLA info needed

Looks like we may be headed for New Orleans in July.
Any suggestions about the safest places(s) to stay an also the best Cajun and Seafood eating spots would be appreciated.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...ch-q-eats.html

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/gener...rleans-la.html

I only visited NOLA a couple of times when my daughter lived there. I thought the FrenchQuarter was very safe. Tons of cops and tourists. Just use some common sense. Lots of good restaurants, awesome music for little or no cover.

If you like good cocktail in an intimate bar, try this:
http://www.yelp.com/biz/bar-tonique-new-orleans

We enjoyed soul food at
http://www.yelp.com/biz/the-praline-...-new-orleans-2

Both places are outside the Quarter a little. Try not to look touristy. Keep your badass face on.

Old 06-17-2015, 09:43 PM
Deucedog
Stellar HDF Member
Received 260 Likes on 135 Posts

NOLA in July? LOL I hope you like hot and humid.

Old 06-17-2015, 11:27 PM
Fireax
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Riverboat Natchez dinner cruise for Dixieland Jazz and Sunset on the Big River, Mulats for French Dancing and Cajun food an music near the River Walk, their Blackened Alligator is good, Cajun Pride Swamp Tour in LaPlace for 'Gators and typical cypress / tupelo gum swamp, Oak Alley and Laura Plantation Tours for Colonial compared to Creole plantations, both close to Reserve, Don's Country Store in Reserve for Boudan, smoked sausage, and Andouille, Frenchman's Street for contemporary music, Middendorf's in Manchac for crawfish, catfish, crabs, and sunset over Lake Maurepas, Sunday Jazz Brunch at Court of Two Sisters in the quarter. Gallatoir's. Commander's Palace. Tin Lizzie's Landing in Springfield for a ride along the Tickfaw and Blood Rivers, lunch and / or supper in the cypress swamp, Swamp Pop music, ..... How long did you say you could stay? Ought to cover everything in a couple weeks. Notice I did NOT mention Bourbon Street. Lousy with panhandlers, predators, tourist traps, and the smell of vomit.

Old 06-18-2015, 11:12 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,495 Likes on 1,605 Posts

Originally Posted by Fireax
Riverboat Natchez dinner cruise for Dixieland Jazz and Sunset on the Big River, Mulats for French Dancing and Cajun food an music near the River Walk, their Blackened Alligator is good, Cajun Pride Swamp Tour in LaPlace for 'Gators and typical cypress / tupelo gum swamp, Oak Alley and Laura Plantation Tours for Colonial compared to Creole plantations, both close to Reserve, Don's Country Store in Reserve for Boudan, smoked sausage, and Andouille, Frenchman's Street for contemporary music, Middendorf's in Manchac for crawfish, catfish, crabs, and sunset over Lake Maurepas, Sunday Jazz Brunch at Court of Two Sisters in the quarter. Gallatoir's. Commander's Palace. Tin Lizzie's Landing in Springfield for a ride along the Tickfaw and Blood Rivers, lunch and / or supper in the cypress swamp, Swamp Pop music, ..... How long did you say you could stay? Ought to cover everything in a couple weeks. Notice I did NOT mention Bourbon Street. Lousy with panhandlers, predators, tourist traps, and the smell of vomit.

WOW and thanks!!

It's just a scenic detour as we're on our way to the Dallas, TX area and thought since we were so close we may as well go there.
We'll probably spend two nights there before heading west.
The Blackened Alligator and seafood sounds delicious.

Old 06-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Grandslam
Road Master
Received 309 Likes on 198 Posts

We enjoy eating here: http://www.oceanagrill.com/

And for a bar with good music: The Famous Door.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:21 PM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you want good, real Cajun cooking get as far away from New Orleans as you can.

Old 06-21-2015, 06:31 PM
DMWyant
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mespero's and commander's palace are both awesome if they are still standing

Old 06-21-2015, 09:43 PM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

We had good luck at the Maison Dupuis hotel. Great motorcycle parking and stumbling distance from Bourbon.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:08 AM
drstat
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Nola

Easiest hotel to stay at in the French Quarter, The Royal Sonesta. They have a parking garage right under the Hotel! Plus, added bonus, Desire Oyster house is connected to the Hotel, both face Bourbon street. There you will find some of the finest eats, try the shrimp and grits my favorite! Irvin Mayfields Jazz Play house is within the hotel as well. Good landing spot. I'm a local, every other Monday I hit the Sonesta for the Jazz, Gerald French's Tuxedo Jazz band, don't miss them! Also, damn good eats and very interesting as well is the New Orleans School of Cooking. Google them and check them out, you won't be disappointed! Any questions just hit me up!
Jason.

Quick Reply: NOLA info needed