Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

East TN/West NC Smoky Mountain Ride

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 10:35 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Default East TN/West NC Smoky Mountain Ride

Last Thursday, I took the day off of work and my wife and I went on a 200+ mile ride through the Smoky Mountains of East TN and West NC. It was a beautiful day and a beautiful ride! Following are some pics.

This is the 217-mile Route that we took from our home in West Knoxville, through Maryville TN to Townsend TN, over the Foothills Parkway, to the Smoky Mountain H-D Dragon Outpost (B on map),through the Tail of the Dragon towards Robinsville NC, over the Cherohala Skyway through the Nantahala and Cherokee Forrests, to Tellico Plains, TN (E on map), and back home (G on map). With lunch, fuel, and sight-seeing stops this trip was exactly 8 hours.

At the south entrance to the Foothills Parkway in east TN. My ride is a 2010 FLHP and my wife's is a 2005 Honda Rebel 250. It was a LONG ride for her on that small bike.

My wife and I on the Foothills Parkway. Photo taken by a good samaratin that was not very skilled at properly framing the bikes into the photo.

Photo from scenic overlook on the Foothills Parkway looking northwest towards the Alcoa/Maryville TN area.

Smoky Mountain Harley-Davidson's Dragon Outpost at the northwest end of the Tail of the Dragon (US 129).

Photo Op at the Smoky Mountain H-D Dragon Outpost.

Scenic outlook on the northwest end of the Tail of the Dragon (US 129).

Calderwood Dam - taken from scenic outlook on the northwest end of the Tail of the Dragon (US 129).

A closer look at Calderwood Dam - taken from scenic outlook on the northwest end of the Tail of the Dragon (US 129).

Me on my 2010 Harley-Davidson Road King Police on the Tail of the Dragon (US 129). Photo by Moonshinephotos.com.

My wife riding her 2005 Honda 250 Rebel on the Tail of the Dragon (US 129). Photo by Moonshinephotos.com.

Scenic Overlook on the "high side" of the Fontana Dam in NC.

View of Fonatana Lake from the Scenic Overlook on the "high side" of the Fontana Dam in NC.

View of Fontana Lake taken from the "high side" of the Fontana Dam in NC.

Me just hangin' around at the damn dam (Fontana).

View of Fontana Dam from the roof of the Vistor's Center.

View of the "low side" of the Fonatan Dam area taken from the roof of the Vistor's Center.

View of Fontana Dam taken from the "low side".

The steel horses at Fonatana Dam in NC.

View taken from scenic overlook at the highest point (5200 feet elevation) on the East end of the Cherohala Skyway in NC.

This was the last photo that we had time to take. Time was sneaking up on us and we needed to get moving, so no more photo stops. But the 42-mile Chrohala Skyway was the best part of the ride - what a road! I will have to do a better job leaving time for photos the next time I ride the Cherohala. I am expecting a couple more photos from Killboy.com on the Dragon, but they have not arrived yet. I will add them once I have those photos. But what a great ride this was!

The day after we made this circuit, a motorcyclist was killed on the Tail of The Dragon. That is the 3rd cyclist death on that piece of road for 2012. Be safe out there!
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2012/se...-another-life/

Last edited by LeadSSled; 10-01-2012 at 11:24 AM. Reason: Add knoxnews article
Old 10-01-2012, 10:59 AM
Stag556
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome pics! I just got back from that exact place. I wish I were that close to that spot like you are. It took me two days of riding to get there.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:02 AM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Stag556
Awesome pics! I just got back from that exact place. I wish I were that close to that spot like you are. It took me two days of riding to get there.
Thanks! Yes, I am very fortunate. I can be to the Foothills Parkway or the TN end of The Dragon in an hour. The TN end of the Cherohala Shyway is just 50 miles from my front door too. We have some awesome riding roads in this neck of the woods.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:24 AM
bbeavers
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a beautiful place to ride. When we got back my son done a painting of the calderwood dam. Almost the same view as you pic.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:39 AM
Harley Guy
Road Captain

Great pics - thanks.

Brings back memories - we make an annual Smokie Mountain trip "for the roads and views" in YOUR part of the great USA.

Ride on.

Old 10-01-2012, 07:31 PM
woosh
Outstanding HDF Member

Great Pics..

Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM
LeadSSled
Road Captain

The Killboy photos finally arrived. Here are the last four pics from the ride.

Me leading my wife on the Tail of the Dragon (US 129). Photo by Killboy.com.

Me on 2010 FLHP on the Tail of the Dragon (US 129). Photo by Killboy.com.

My wife on her 2005 Honda Rebel 250 on the Tail of the Dragon (US 129). Photo by Killboy.com.

My wife again on her Rebel on the Tail of the Dragon (US 129). Photo by Killboy.com.

That is all I've got for this ride. I hope that you enjoy the pics. If you've never ridden this part of the country, I highly recommend you adding that to your bucket list.

Old 10-02-2012, 10:46 AM
smokehiker
Road Captain

If you've never ridden this part of the country, I highly recommend you adding that to your bucket list.[/quote]

+1

Old 10-02-2012, 02:14 PM
Chaz in TN
Road Captain

Those are some excellent shots! Thanks for sharing with us!

Old 10-02-2012, 06:58 PM
Ultraroofer
Intermediate

OP great ride and pics. Hope to make it to that area soon.

Quick Reply: East TN/West NC Smoky Mountain Ride