Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Avoid Rt 2 North Dakota this summer??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2014, 04:48 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
Default Avoid Rt 2 North Dakota this summer??

I'm doing a cross country ride from OR to MA and was planning to take Rt 2 across all of ND. I've heard a lot of negatives(on this and other forums) about the problems associated with the oil boom in ND, including high-volume truck traffic, lodging, getting pelted with rocks from trucks, etc. I'm now considering bypassing this Rt altogether in ND. Currently, I was going to exit Glacier NP, pick up Rt 89 S and connect with Rt 200 for a bit, then pick up Rt 13 N to Rt 2 E for the duration(ND, MN, MI).
Should I consider staying on Rt 200 through ND and pick up Rt 2 in Benmidji MN? Is Rt 200 affected by the oil boom to the same extent that Rt 2? I was really hoping to use secondary highways to the greatest possible extent, but should I also consider Rt 94 through ND? I am making a mountain out of a mole hill here? I understand that Rt 2 through ND is only about 350 miles and that could easily be covered in a day under normal circumstances. However, from what I read, the circumstances on RT 2 ND do not appear to be normal. I would appreciate any help in guidance here. Thanks.
Dave

Old 04-24-2014, 08:51 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

I am planning on route 2 through North Dakota east to west the 2nd week of July see route 2 across the top of United States on my post but may reconsider

Old 04-24-2014, 09:34 AM
mervt198
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes lots of traffic, and they're all texting or talking on cells

Old 04-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,931 Likes on 2,569 Posts

Went thru there last year. Definitely more people and traffic then the rest of Route 2. But the rest of Route 2 you may not see another vehicle for ten minutes in either direction. I am from NY, I noticed an increase in traffic but not to the point that I needed to reroute my trip around it. In fact it was interesting to see a real boom town in action. Figure one hour in and one hour out of Williston it will be noticeable, then business as usual.

Old 04-24-2014, 10:27 AM
HFS
Club Member
Received 307 Likes on 194 Posts

I went through there last year - August. I was on Highway 85 Going North. I hit road construction the last 50 miles of ND. Not fun. I was hoping to do an unnofficial "Iron Butt" but the washboard and loose gravel wore me out. I made it 1230 / 1600 Km. [Canadian...]

As Architect said, it's not worth re-routing for.

I work in the oil and gas industry. People are stupid busy, and on cel phones, texting etc. If you can hit the area ~10:00 am you'd be fine. Morning is always a rush and traffic begins at 05:00. There is a mini rush around lunch as well. Finally there is always a rush to get home.

People in the oil patch will look at your motorcycle with envy. Wonder why they're working 16 hours a day 7 days a week. You'll help put a smile on their face...

Shale gas and fracking smells like money - and farts.

You'll love the "Going to the Sun Road." You're riding it in the better direction IMO [West to East].

Consider highway 20 in WA state from Burlington to Omak. Great Ride!, unless you're not going that far north. I actually prefer I-90 over Hwy 2 in the Cascade Mountain area, as I always hit the crawl on the west side of the mountains.

Ride Safe.

Old 04-24-2014, 09:27 PM
Steve255
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Here is my post from the "Hiway 2 across the USA "thread

As far as ND, I think you are good. I rode from Williston to Grand Forks and it's a divided hiway the whole way. Yes there was some traffic in Williston due to the "oil boom", but nothing as bad as a Friday afternoon in the Seattle area and even so it will only last for a few miles.

HERE IS MY Hiway 2 POST: Also what happens to these old threads? Lots of good info lost.

Last summer I rode from Seattle to Drummond Island MI in the Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan and back. On the way eastbound I took I-90 to Missoula MT then rode Hiway 200 from Missoula MT to Sidney MT, then Hiway 2 into Michigan. It was absolutely spectacular! The ride from Missoula to Great Falls was one of the best motorcycle roads of my entire ride. Almost no traffic, sweeping vistas, the continental divide; they don’t call it “Big Sky Country” for nothing. I spent the night in Great Falls, woke up the next morning early and rode out eastbound on Hiway 200. It was a Sunday so there was no traffic, and I mean NO TRAFFIC! I called in advance to make sure there were gas stations open along the route. The towns are about 100-130 miles apart with nothing but wide open country and beautiful scenery in-between. I stopped for gas in Lewiston, Jordan and Sidney. There is also gas in Circle MT. I rode to Sidney then cut north and joined US 2 outside of Williston ND (where the oil boom is in full force). When I gas-ed up in Williston I talked to a guy on a Gold Wing who just rode through northern MT on US 2. He said there was lots of chip sealing going on and it was a boring ride. I know I made the right call taking 200 through the middle of the state with beautiful scenery and NO traffic. One of my best days ever on a bike. I ended up staying in Minot ND that night. The next morning I rode US2 through Duluth and stayed in Ashland WI on Lake Superior. The segment of US2 through ND is all divided Hiway, then into Minnesota and Wisconsin it meanderers through small towns. The approach into Duluth, coming around a curve right into a view overlooking the city was stunning! I stayed in a hotel in Ashland WI that night. That evening after dinner, I drank a cold beer with a glass of bourbon and smoked a fine cigar while watching a thunderstorm roll in across Lake Superior. The next morning I rode across the UP to Drummond Island MI. I stopped at Pictured Rocks National Seashore outside of Munising then ate at Clyde’s drive-in , in St. Ignace by the Mackinaw Bridge. I ordered the Big “C” Cheeseburger, highly recommended! Then I rode east on M-134 to Drummond Island in the eastern UP. Nice ride but watch for critters! Let me know if you need any more info?

Old 04-24-2014, 09:27 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Thanks for the responses here. I'm feeling better now with my current route. Gotta get back to my Bruins game now...

Old 04-25-2014, 12:26 PM
fireman64
Road Warrior
Received 1,583 Likes on 329 Posts

Hwy 2 is a good route, but starting at Minot,ND west is where the traffic picks up cause of the oil traffic. You can drop South to I 94 west if you have to.
Good luck. on your trip.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:32 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by FLHXHS

You'll love the "Going to the Sun Road." You're riding it in the better direction IMO [West to East].

Consider highway 20 in WA state from Burlington to Omak. Great Ride!, unless you're not going that far north.
I'm definitely looking forward to Going to the Sun Road. Unfortunately, I'm not headed far enough north to do Burlington to Omak via Rt 20, but I checked it out on a map and I'll bet it's great.

Old 04-25-2014, 04:40 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master

Originally Posted by Steve255
As far as ND, I think you are good. I rode from Williston to Grand Forks and it's a divided hiway the whole way. Yes there was some traffic in Williston due to the "oil boom", but nothing as bad as a Friday afternoon in the Seattle area and even so it will only last for a few miles.

HERE IS MY Hiway 2 POST: Also what happens to these old threads? Lots of good info lost.

Last summer I rode from Seattle to Drummond Island MI in the Upper Peninsula (UP) of Michigan and back. On the way eastbound I took I-90 to Missoula MT then rode Hiway 200 from Missoula MT to Sidney MT, then Hiway 2 into Michigan. It was absolutely spectacular! The ride from Missoula to Great Falls was one of the best motorcycle roads of my entire ride. Almost no traffic, sweeping vistas, the continental divide; they don’t call it “Big Sky Country” for nothing. I spent the night in Great Falls, woke up the next morning early and rode out eastbound on Hiway 200. It was a Sunday so there was no traffic, and I mean NO TRAFFIC! I called in advance to make sure there were gas stations open along the route. The towns are about 100-130 miles apart with nothing but wide open country and beautiful scenery in-between. I stopped for gas in Lewiston, Jordan and Sidney. There is also gas in Circle MT. I rode to Sidney then cut north and joined US 2 outside of Williston ND (where the oil boom is in full force). When I gas-ed up in Williston I talked to a guy on a Gold Wing who just rode through northern MT on US 2. He said there was lots of chip sealing going on and it was a boring ride. I know I made the right call taking 200 through the middle of the state with beautiful scenery and NO traffic. One of my best days ever on a bike. I ended up staying in Minot ND that night. The next morning I rode US2 through Duluth and stayed in Ashland WI on Lake Superior. The segment of US2 through ND is all divided Hiway, then into Minnesota and Wisconsin it meanderers through small towns. The approach into Duluth, coming around a curve right into a view overlooking the city was stunning! I stayed in a hotel in Ashland WI that night. That evening after dinner, I drank a cold beer with a glass of bourbon and smoked a fine cigar while watching a thunderstorm roll in across Lake Superior. The next morning I rode across the UP to Drummond Island MI. I stopped at Pictured Rocks National Seashore outside of Munising then ate at Clyde’s drive-in , in St. Ignace by the Mackinaw Bridge. I ordered the Big “C” Cheeseburger, highly recommended! Then I rode east on M-134 to Drummond Island in the eastern UP. Nice ride but watch for critters! Let me know if you need any more info?
Great info! You've got me psyched about RT 200! However, in order to incorporate Going to the Sun Road, I'll have to pick up Rt 200 off RT 89(versus Missoula), then take it to Sidney. I'm going to print this post out and take it with me on the trip. Thank you!