Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Great Michigan trip,thank you members!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2014, 06:17 PM
mccstevie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Great Michigan trip,thank you members!

Just returned from my first trip to Michigan and wanted to thank the forum for all the great advice. I put on 2350 miles in seven days and saw the west coast of Michigan from Manistee to Sault Ste.Marie and the southern shore of Lake Superior over to Houghton. I also found a great motorcycle road in Wisconsin, WI-55 from Three Lakes to Shawano and another in Ohio, OH-39 from East Liverpool to Loudonville. The suggested routes in Michigan did not disappoint. Some of the roads in Michigan reminded me of my trip out west because they were so long and straight as an arrow but the sights and the roads in between were well worth the trip. Michigan was in a bit of a cold snap but the bike ran great in the cooler temps and I believe the lack of ethanol in the fuel had a lot to do with it. Most of the time gas was cheaper than here in Pa. and most everyone I met were very friendly. I did have some long 350 mile days and had to rush through some areas to get to my next destination but that was poor planning on my part. I regret not giving myself more time to see the Soo Locks and take a boat tour of the Pictured Rocks area. There were also a lot of great little towns along MI-22 and US-31 that I would have liked to spend some time in. MI-119 and H58 were great roads, loved the Legs Inn and the Tunnel of Trees. I also got to see the Harley Museum in Milwaukee and took the Lake Express Ferry over to Muskegon. The museum was great but didn't give myself enough time there either. The ferry was good for saving time but took almost an hour longer than promised and had to push again to get to my next destination. All in all, it was a great trip and I would definitely recommend it and go back again.

Old 07-16-2014, 10:59 AM
rodnock
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were in Houghton and didn't make the ride up to Copper Harbor and back down the west side of the Keeweenau Peninsula. you missed the best scenic ride in the UP. Plan to add it into your trip next time. Also add in going into Wisconsin to Bayfield. The Apostle Islands are amazingly beautiful.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:14 PM
WIHD55
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We must have waved at each other. Just circled Lake Michigan. Agreed, the Tunnel was awesome. But you should have taken the 7 mile circuit in the Sleeping Bear National Park. It was even better.

But the ride was worth it, wasn't it?

Old 07-18-2014, 01:09 AM
mccstevie
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did make the trip to Copper Harbor and felt it was the highlight of my trip. Went in on 41 and out on 22. Also made the trip up to the top of Brockway Mtn which was the best view of all. Also saw a grey wolf crossing the road on the way up 41. I saw a lot of bikes during the trip and waved to all of them,most waved back. I know I missed a lot but I will go back again.

Old 07-18-2014, 03:14 AM
Ron750
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 16,515 Likes on 6,271 Posts

Next time you are in Wisconsin, make sure you stop at Mickey Lus, in Marinette,on Highway 41. I ate there tonight. Like a trip back to 1963. Charcoal grilled burgers, Malts.

Tomorrow I am taking 35 to 2 to the Mackinac bridge. Repeating a trip we took last year to my BIL, in Hale, MI.

There are tons of nice roads in WI, and MI. Tonight I took Hwy 66E out of Stevens Point, to Hwy49N. Beautiful farms, woods. Even Hwy 29 was scenic, even though it is 4 lane. Stopped at Docs, outside Shawano, but didn't have much time, because we wanted to get to Marinette before dark. Will definitely stop at that quirky place again.

Come back again. Midwest has the best people in the world. Work hard, play hard.

Old 07-18-2014, 06:28 AM
KJB
Tourer
Received 73 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Ron750
Stopped at Docs, outside Shawano, but didn't have much time, because we wanted to get to Marinette before dark. Will definitely stop at that quirky place again.
Doc's Harley is an experience everyone should have at some point. Here is the link.

http://docshd.com/

Old 07-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Bigblueh20
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mccstevie sounds like a great trip. One I would definitely consider doing. Can you provide some additional info regarding places to stay, eat, sites to see, preferred roads. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2014, 08:37 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,791 Likes on 18,561 Posts

Glad you enjoyed the Great Lakes State Trip. I've lived here my whole life ( almost 65 trips around the sun ) and I can always find a new place to ride.