Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

5 speed clutch adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2015, 06:43 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default 5 speed clutch adjustment

just finished cleaning up some minor wiring issues with the turn signals (and added a Badlands module). I can't get the clutch to stay adjusted. Sitting cold, adjust the pushrod per the book, and all is good. Plenty of pull on the handle. I go ride it and I lose handle resistance within a couple of blocks. I head back home and repeat the rod adjustment. regained the handle and all seems good again. I go for another ride and same issue; lose the handle resistance within less than a mile. Bike is an 80 FLT factory 5 speed. New cable, clutch discs look in great shape. What am I missing in my adjustments?

Old 02-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

I have always tried to get the clutch actuator "fingers" at the best angle. then Adjust the cable to that clutch arm position.
The actuator is just like the 4-speed, Inside.
The trick is to have the angle just right, so the throw is optimum.
Also...Be careful that the actuator Fingers [against the throw-out bearing] are Not Contacting the Mainshaft....you can break the fingers...
If ya need to...Open the right side up and look at it....All will be revealed.

Edit; I just got to thinking about it...and I think that if you remove the adjusting screw from the Pressure plate [clutch side of course] you can push the pushrod in with yer finger against the throw-out bearing and arm ...this will give you a feel for where the arm needs to be at the begining of the "stroke". Adjust the screw for this arm position to start...

Damn...I ain't no good at explanations am I!!!!

Last edited by Racepres; 02-21-2015 at 02:18 PM.
Old 02-22-2015, 09:43 AM
megawatt
Road Warrior
Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts

Your throwout bearing may be the problem. If it is failing, you don't want that metal in your transmission oil.
I agree with the first reply, pull the right side cover and look for the problem there.
Of course, the clutch cable could be failing. Check for broken strands at the hand lever and inside the right side cover while you are in there.

Last edited by megawatt; 02-22-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 02-22-2015, 12:11 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Note; My youngest had a similar problem...But, The P.O. had misadjusted the clutch, and the Fingers were pressing against the mainshaft...Broke the Fingers. But, Of Course..Not all at once...so, we thought the cable was stretching....

Old 02-22-2015, 02:09 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

I originally replaced the cable because I thought it was stretched. with the pushrod lock nut and cable both snug, I can't figure out where the handle slack keeps coming from . I'll pull the side cover next and see what the throw out bearing looks like. Appreciate the suggestions.

Old 02-22-2015, 02:39 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member

Remember that the clutch on a "T" or Shovel FXR, are really just 4-Speed stuff...Reasonably priced, and easy to replace.
Simple job to pull the pressure plate and check the fibers/steels also.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:36 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

Well, took off the side cover and my throw out bearing is totally trashed.

5 speed clutch adjustment-shovel-tob-1.jpg

5 speed clutch adjustment-shovel-tob-2.jpg

Now to see tomorrow if my indy has anything at his shop; if not, then off to eBay I suppose. Gotta do a good flush job, too...there's alot of filings inside the side cover, so the rest of the case is likely full of the same trash.

Old 02-24-2015, 08:47 PM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

What's the "big umbrella looking" part used for in this eBay kit...say's it's supposed to fit my bike, but my book only shows a roller bearing between 2 thrust washers.

5 speed clutch adjustment-tob-kit.jpg

Old 02-25-2015, 12:30 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by SeaZund
What's the "big umbrella looking" part used for in this eBay kit...say's it's supposed to fit my bike, but my book only shows a roller bearing between 2 thrust washers.

Attachment 419590
that's for a 4 speed, not 5 speed

Old 02-25-2015, 02:22 AM
SeaZund
Road Warrior

it appears like there's a choice in bearings, too; either one with 9 rollers or one with 12. Mine was so damaged I couldn't tell, but I think the original had 9. It took a bit of effort to get the side cover off, I wonder if this is the first time it's been opened up.

Quick Reply: 5 speed clutch adjustment