Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1983 FXDG Paint Code

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 12:12 PM
shovhd
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 1983 FXDG Paint Code

Hey all...anyone know the paint code for this bike? I was told Dark Maroon #96803-GC, but I can't seem to find any ref on it.

Stock Pic

Mine

Thx

Old 02-11-2016, 08:04 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,233 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by shovhd
I was told Dark Maroon #96803-GC, but I can't seem to find any ref on it.
98603-GC...bet these guys could mix you some.

http://www.colormaniapaint.com/originalcolors.html

Last edited by Tom84FXST; 02-11-2016 at 08:12 PM.
The following users liked this post:
troy montoya (01-31-2018)
Old 02-11-2016, 09:56 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Thx man...2 numbers wrong makes all the difference.

Old 02-17-2016, 04:28 PM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

I doubt you'll get far with just the HD paint code of that vintage. I've got a can of the original paint, it's acrylic lacquer. The modern PPG code is 901826, maroon metallic. The pearl in this paint gives it a neat look that doesn't show up in photos. Good luck.

Old 02-18-2016, 09:46 AM
shovhd
Cruiser

Originally Posted by mrlexus
I doubt you'll get far with just the HD paint code of that vintage. I've got a can of the original paint, it's acrylic lacquer. The modern PPG code is 901826, maroon metallic. The pearl in this paint gives it a neat look that doesn't show up in photos. Good luck.
Thx mrlexus…..is the new paint close? I'vr been scouring the internet looking for some original oem paint. Im not a paint guy..just want this bike back as close to stock as possible. Thx for your help.

Last edited by shovhd; 02-18-2016 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-18-2016, 10:47 AM
mrlexus
Road Captain
Received 160 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by shovhd
Thx mrlexus…..is the new paint close? I'vr been scouring the internet looking for some original oem paint. Im not a paint guy..just want this bike back as close to stock as possible. Thx for your help.

Below is a spray out of the PPG against an original piece. From my research, the FXDG paint was specially done with PPG from the factory, that is why the code exists in the first place. My paint guy, who is very particular, thought there may have been some gold pearl in the original that is not in the PPG code, but it's almost impossible to tell. He used different lights and a light gun to try and find differences and confirm the color. You would not be able to tell the paints apart (PPG code from original) if a stock bike and a repainted one were right next to each other.

HOWEVER....... We wanted it 100% accurate, so my guy did a spray out with the lacquer paint and sent it off to PPG for them to match it in the lab. I don't have that code back yet. I am assuming all they will be doing is adding a tiny amount of gold pearl. It depends on how into perfection you are I guess.

I don't think I would use the lacquer paint even if you found some, we did not; and like I said, I have a can.

I would also add that the color gun does not work with this color....

Last edited by mrlexus; 02-18-2016 at 04:24 PM.
Old 02-19-2016, 05:48 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

Once again, thx. I plan on riding the bike this summer and then a complete tear down next winter. That ppg code will come in handy if you don't mind sharing. Do you have any pics of yours? How close to stock is it? I still need to find stock exhaust, air cleaner, timing cover, speedo, fender medallion, gas tank decal and outer primary. Probably a few other odds and ends as well.

Old 01-31-2018, 07:41 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Received 626 Likes on 339 Posts

hello, thanks for sharing this link for the paint code, will defiantly use this site in the future. How did your restoration turn out ? i am currently building a replica/tribute FXDG out of my 83 FXWG, you can check out my posts under " Classic " refurbish thread FXDG....thanks again for sharing , Troy

Old 02-16-2018, 05:00 PM
shovhd
Cruiser

hey how's it going? Sorry I been off site for a while. The resto was on hold for a while, but is starting full bore now. I am in the middle of tearing it down. Still trying to source a few parts, but getting there. I looked at your thread and it looks like you are moving right along. I'll keep in touch and we can exchange info.

Old 02-17-2018, 03:01 AM
troy montoya
Road Master

Received 626 Likes on 339 Posts

Hi shovhd , Nice to hear from you thanks for your reply , Do you still have both FXDG's ? i am curious where did you find them ? and how long have you owned them ? i think that these bikes are the best looking shovel head's harley ever made , you are very lucky to have 2 !! in my other thread you can see that i was able to find a set of original exhaust headers, as soon as i have my motor back i will mock up the exhaust and then send them out to be ceramic coated... i still have a little more work to do once the motor is completed. My tanks are painted and with help from mrlexus i was able to have the tank decals re-produced from discontinued decals out of Florida, the decals are now for sale for 29.95 for a pair in case you might need them. My bike parts are already painted, but *** you've seen in my other thread that its not quite the same as the original color, did you ever get a re-ply from mrlexus as to the new PPG Paint code? , well good luck with your restoration, and yes lets keep in touch

Quick Reply: 1983 FXDG Paint Code