Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1986 fourspeed

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2016, 06:41 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 115 Posts
Default 1986 fourspeed

I have a question from my85-86.service manual. Tranny section the tolerance for the bushing to main shaft says(loose) . Does that mean that's where it should be BEFORE I press it into the main drive gear? Assuming it may change after I press it in...

I may be digging in there soon and want to make sure I can do this.

Old 06-15-2016, 08:35 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 48,022 Likes on 17,513 Posts

Bushings are usually tight after being pressed in and have to be either honed or reamed to size. Some aftermarket bushings are a bit oversized and once pressed are very close to right you just have to check. Look for wear on the mainshaft also if it's grooved any it's replacement time or the new bush won't last.

Old 06-16-2016, 05:15 AM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

That still doesn't really answer my question though, sizing it before or after its pressed in?
They use the term (loose) next to the spec, that almost tells me to hone it ,press it in, good to go.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:57 AM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,056 Likes on 1,511 Posts

Size after it is pressed in....
Twizted is trying to tell you it won't work to size then install

Old 06-16-2016, 03:26 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Racepres
Size after it is pressed in....
Twizted is trying to tell you it won't work to size then install
Yeah, I get that... the manual should not put the word "loose" spec there, it adds confusement.

But it would be easier to hone or lathe not in the drive gear...

Old 06-16-2016, 05:52 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,567 Likes on 2,891 Posts

harley has used that term loosely - its a machinist term meaning sized to the correct and fit up lose to the touch, with no binding at all any place in the circle as you turn it

we hone to fit them and you can easy do to much if not careful

its loose not movement in the two pieces

Old 06-16-2016, 06:56 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
harley has used that term loosely - its a machinist term meaning sized to the correct and fit up lose to the touch, with no binding at all any place in the circle as you turn it

we hone to fit them and you can easy do to much if not careful

its loose not movement in the two pieces
Thanks John, a friend would be doing the hone in his shop,he's a machinist and can do it.
Just thinking if I want to tackle the job myself or take you up on your previous offer. The spacer with o- ring was a good mod but obviously the bushing is worn because it's leaking pretty bad, an some movement in the pulley, not a lot but some. Bearing may be replaced also.

Old 06-16-2016, 08:15 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

4 bearings are in that trans = the main ball right side - hi gear / 4th gear left side same one in the case timkin type - and the 2 inside of the counter shaft - should be on the list as they were last replaced together - as twist said the area covered by the bushing is suspect for wear, as the bushing material is tougher then the steel on the mainshaft, and once is bites in as the bushing wears it wears a ditch in the main shaft - it ends up the area on the shaft that the bushing rides, becomes smaller then the area the primary bearing rides, so you cant get it on its location in spec it will always be loose the kind that leaks oil by loose

Old 06-16-2016, 08:40 PM
glidein wide
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by johnjzjz
4 bearings are in that trans = the main ball right side - hi gear / 4th gear left side same one in the case timkin type - and the 2 inside of the counter shaft - should be on the list as they were last replaced together - as twist said the area covered by the bushing is suspect for wear, as the bushing material is tougher then the steel on the mainshaft, and once is bites in as the bushing wears it wears a ditch in the main shaft - it ends up the area on the shaft that the bushing rides, becomes smaller then the area the primary bearing rides, so you cant get it on its location in spec it will always be loose the kind that leaks oil by loose
Yeah, was already thinking I may be buying a new main shaft also, maybe you could work out an estimate if you are interested, and you could PM me about it, you said you have a partner I think in Connecticut I could drop tranny off to? Based on what you expect that it's going to need, I know you don't know until you dig in. Shifts great, no noise, 45k miles
Just looking to do what should be done to it.PM me if interested and we'll talk...
Thanks

Old 06-16-2016, 08:53 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

he is riding to rhienbeck if he was caging then he would get it from you, take off friday leave CT at 7 am go over the top no traffic that way and bring it with you i can put it in the mail a week later back to you / spend the day if you want

Quick Reply: 1986 fourspeed