Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

1977 FX Barn Find Project!

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:05 PM
ihv800
Intermediate
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
That's about Rube Goldberg looking setup for the shifter side, 1st for me and I've seen some odd stuff over the years. For practicality and I'm going out on a limb here I'll say safety's sake find something else don't temp fate with that mess. Plus you'll find that will make you reach to shift , it's too far forward unless you've got a 36" inseam.
Yeah, they are certainly different... The machining work on them is something to see, I love stuff like that. I think they may be one off, if so someone has a lot of time in them. You very well may be correct in those observations, though. The shift pegs and linkage arm are all infinitely adjustable in relation to each other, but the reach still might be a concern. I may try to modify them if nothing else for the excuse of playing on the mill and lathe, though it might be a waste of time and I'll be looking for my third set of controls. Lesson learned, you're better off paying for a decent set of midrange controls from a well known manufacturer than trying to make ebay unknowns work! Guess I know for next time.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:23 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,922 Likes on 17,475 Posts

Don't feel bad you should see the crates of odds & ends I've accumulated over years doing just what you are. It'll work itself out , always does with a little patience and ingenuity on these old ones.

Old 01-03-2017, 06:31 PM
E-Cigrettman
Advanced
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ihv800 can you please post a picture of the shifter side of those controls straight on and not from the top angle ? Also have you completely disassembled the shifter side ?

Last edited by E-Cigrettman; 01-03-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 01-03-2017, 07:39 PM
ihv800
Intermediate

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Don't feel bad you should see the crates of odds & ends I've accumulated over years doing just what you are. It'll work itself out , always does with a little patience and ingenuity on these old ones.
Old stuff has a way of generating accumulation, haha! I'm worse than most when it comes to stuff like this, I always have the mindset of buying cheap and putting time into something to make it work. Sometimes that's great, others not so much. Either way, I enjoy piddling, and like you say; things work out.

Originally Posted by E-Cigrettman
ihv800 can you please post a picture of the shifter side of those controls straight on and not from the top angle ? Also have you completely disassembled the shifter side ?
I don't have a straight side picture at the moment, and I have disassembled them (which took some pondering...). Give me a couple days and I will stick them back together and snap a picture.

Old 01-13-2017, 07:18 PM
ihv800
Intermediate

Originally Posted by E-Cigrettman
Here's some pictures, hope these are what you were looking for.

Old 02-12-2017, 11:42 AM
ihv800
Intermediate

Got my forward controls mostly figured out and setup where I'm happy with them! I've finally been able to ride it around a little. Did some adjusting to the points (dwell/timing). It starts much easier now and runs great around the yard. There's plenty of leaks that need addressing, so I cleaned it up real good to help chase some of those. Doesn't look too bad when all the grease it off her! Shortly after it chucked the primary belt, I figured it wouldn't take long. It was pretty oil soaked and I would guess was in there since at least '93. So, it seems I'm much more seriously looking for an OEM electric start chain primary than I was a few days ago. I think that's a better option than spending the money on a belt. I have most all the other electric start pieces anyway.

Now, for a question. The kicker hasn't gave me problems, and everything seemed to function properly. After riding it around some it developed a click in the transmission, it seems the kickers ratchet isn't fully disengaging anymore. After the belt let go it was easy to spin the transmission and hear it click away. If you push the kicker down halfway the click gets much more pronounced, then will go away with the pedal at the bottom of its stroke. I've not tore into it yet, but does anyone have any advice on what might be going on?

Name:  IMG_1495_zpsb2n1qghj.jpg
Views: 243
Size:  296.3 KB

Name:  IMG_1498_zpstyexthzh.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  296.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1499_zpsrqlaqjvw.jpg
Views: 253
Size:  337.5 KB

And a couple of the forwards.
Name:  IMG_1496_zpsxhslq20s.jpg
Views: 224