Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

What do you suggest for electronic ignition for `77 FLH?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2006, 07:02 AM
staged67gspwr
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default What do you suggest for electronic ignition for `77 FLH?

Hi,i`m looking to get rid of the ol points on my `77 FLH and convert to electronic ignition,what do you guys suggest i get,any help and info appreciated.

Thanks

Old 07-27-2006, 12:56 PM
FREEBIRDFXRS
Advanced
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What do you suggest for electronic ignition for `77 FLH?

the crane cams hi-4 single fire works great,get it in the kit form,comes with every thing ya need to install except the pickup rotor, the kit has wires,ignition, coil,+all hardware,these ignitions are fully adjustible with a revlimiter to,bring it up to top dead center on # 1 compression stroke turn the ignition till the red lite comes on and your set, you can adjust the timming curve buy a trim pot on it, works nice! the pickup rotor ya need is a 84 to 99 oem style part # 32402-83 this part is cheep, the kit is pricey but worth every penny nice upgrade!
freebird

Old 07-28-2006, 04:39 AM
staged67gspwr
Tourer

Cool i thank you for the suggestion,i`m gonna look into it,thanks alot.

Old 08-25-2006, 12:33 AM
SirEagle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I like the dyna power simple to install, no moving parts,,,,,and it needs nothing but the stock advance unit

Old 08-25-2006, 07:33 AM
staged67gspwr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: SirEagle

I like the dyna power simple to install, no moving parts,,,,,and it needs nothing but the stock advance unit

Is there a part # or a specific name for this dyna part i can look up please?

Thanks
George

Old 09-01-2006, 11:35 PM
JAMES2
Road Master
Received 43 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm hav'n trouble with my points too! I'm going with the Crane HI-4 also but the dual fire mod. Jerih cycle has it online for $159.95 and the coil is about $70. Good luck with what ever you choose.

[IMG]local://upfiles/17396/5834250937D445DAA55CBD45CFCF052D.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-09-2006, 11:05 AM
staged67gspwr
Tourer

I wind up getting the Dyna S ignition and coil,it seems to be easier to install and has non of the options alot of the other ignitions have that i hate to fool with so it seemed to fit the bill,another question was i assume i need to re-time the bike after i switch over to the electronic ignition?any tips on timing her?

Thanks

Old 09-11-2006, 12:14 AM
SirEagle
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you can mark the inside of your timing cover,,,then match the timing plates,,that wont get it perfect but it will get it pretty close

Old 09-11-2006, 01:08 AM
springer_
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: staged67gspwr

I wind up getting the Dyna S ignition and coil,it seems to be easier to install and has non of the options alot of the other ignitions have that i hate to fool with so it seemed to fit the bill,another question was i assume i need to re-time the bike after i switch over to the electronic ignition?any tips on timing her?

Thanks
Have you installed it yet? Is it still in the box and can it be returned?

Not to pick on your ignition choice but I would recommend ANY other ignition than the Dyna "S".

This opinion is not based on simply not liking the Dyna "S" but rather from knowing the complete technical workings of the Dyna "S". I designed an electronic ignition back in the early 90's and thoroughly examined many different ignition systems, the Dyna "S" being one of them. It was/is the worst one I tested. If you would like a complete explanation of why, I would be happy to post it at your request.

Old 09-11-2006, 09:44 AM
staged67gspwr
Tourer

ORIGINAL: springer_

ORIGINAL: staged67gspwr

Thanks
Have you installed it yet? Is it still in the box and can it be returned?

Not to pick on your ignition choice but I would recommend ANY other ignition than the Dyna "S".

This opinion is not based on simply not liking the Dyna "S" but rather from knowing the complete technical workings of the Dyna "S". I designed an electronic ignition back in the early 90's and thoroughly examined many different ignition systems, the Dyna "S" being one of them. It was/is the worst one I tested. If you would like a complete explanation of why, I would be happy to post it at your request.

No i`ve not installed it yet its still in the box,where can i get intouch with you to fill me in on why its no good?i can return it its no problem,i just got it cause it seemed less of a headache to fool with than other ignitions.

Thanks

Quick Reply: What do you suggest for electronic ignition for `77 FLH?