Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

78 shovelhead primary help

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 PM
pjb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 434 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Roughly yes . Your best bet is to drain the oil bag and the open the primary then yank all the lines off everything , clean house . Also at this point it would be a good idea to thoroughly clean your oil tank out there's going to be some heavy hard sludge caked on the inside bottom of it and the inside of your primary . A pain I know but you'll much happier believe me .

Now the fun part , turn off the the metering screws on the oil pump that went to the rear chain & the primary and block off off both those 1/8" barbs . Next the big long fitting with the 2 ports that fits into the crankcase behind the oil pump itself , either cap both those ports or remove it and use an 1/8" pipe plug . ( bit tough if still in the frame you can't see in there but can be done) . Plug the bottom return port and the center feed from the inside of the case , you can leave this one open but if you ride in rain much or keep a clean scoot water can get in as well oil mist out so heads up . The small 1/8" feed line I leave on and just make a U in it to act as a trap and you have a breather tube this way . When done seal it all up and use HD primary oil or ATF up the bottom of the clutch basket with the bike standing upright and your go to go . Check the chain regular and change it every 3 to 5 k your choice .

The inside top fitting on the oil pump is the feed from the bottom of the oil tank , the outside is the return to top of the tank into the filter ,The barb on the case just above the oil pump is the breather return to top of the tank to that 3/4" turret fitting there .

On the back of the crankcase just under the motor mount is the crankcase breather port , you can run a line back and put a filter on it or route it over onto your chain for a little lube . Messy but works well .

Thats the proper way to do the conversion , just watch the lines on the pump and don't get them crossed your good to go .
The inside top fitting on the oil pump is the feed from the bottom of the oil tank , the outside is the return to top of the tank into the filter ,The barb on the case just above the oil pump is the breather return to top of the tank to that 3/4" turret fitting there .

Isn't that part wrong? Seems to me it's the opposite - feed on the outside, return on the inside.