Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Making a Shovelhead Bagger

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:29 PM
shovelhead FXEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Making a Shovelhead Bagger

I'm wanting to make a bagger out of my 81 4-speed. Does anybody make brackets that will work for newer Harley hard bags on Shovelhead rear fender and struts? Will the new newer bags work on older FL supports?

Old 10-30-2012, 10:33 AM
mrfuji
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default making a shovedhead bagger

hi. not sure what body type you have .head said fx.in 81 they had fews bagger flt.flh and some fxr .call dyna now.rear end do not change much.check on those.mrfuji

Old 11-03-2012, 03:16 PM
U-234
Road Warrior
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have leather Road King bags on my 80 using modified Shovel brackets. I put the same bags on my Project Dyna using the earlier (both loops of the bracket stay behind the bag) Shovel bag brackets. The older brackets required a tube to be hose clamped to the bottom runner because the newer style bags stick out farther from the sides of the bike. To use Dresser hard bags the Shovel mounting studs would need to be cut off and attachments points made for the new style fasteners. I used the stock mounting studs and drilled holes in the heavy plastic used as the inside part of the bag.

Attached Thumbnails Making a Shovelhead Bagger-100_1670.jpg   Making a Shovelhead Bagger-100_1678.jpg   Making a Shovelhead Bagger-dcp_0630.jpg   Making a Shovelhead Bagger-100_1088.jpg  
Old 11-03-2012, 05:58 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,920 Likes on 17,474 Posts

Originally Posted by U-234
I have leather Road King bags on my 80 using modified Shovel brackets. I put the same bags on my Project Dyna using the earlier (both loops of the bracket stay behind the bag) Shovel bag brackets. The older brackets required a tube to be hose clamped to the bottom runner because the newer style bags stick out farther from the sides of the bike. To use Dresser hard bags the Shovel mounting studs would need to be cut off and attachments points made for the new style fasteners. I used the stock mounting studs and drilled holes in the heavy plastic used as the inside part of the bag.
Nicely done I snagged a brand new set of late hard back leather bags I'm planning on adapting to the shovel , your's gives me a nice starting point .

Old 11-03-2012, 10:05 PM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Looking at those pics, the only "issue" I see installing newer style hard saddlebags is that they will sit way too high with the oem shovel brackets being the newer bigger.
Smaller shovel bags already seat too high IMO.
That's good info anyway

Old 11-03-2012, 10:49 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by V_twins
Looking at those pics, the only "issue" I see installing newer style hard saddlebags is that they will sit way too high with the oem shovel brackets being the newer bigger.
Smaller shovel bags already seat too high IMO.
That's good info anyway
Keep in mind not everybody is into all that slammed low bullshit ,some of us actually ride these things in more than straight lines .

Last edited by TwiZted Biker; 11-04-2012 at 10:27 AM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:47 AM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 47,790 Likes on 18,560 Posts

"U234" ... You've done a great looking mod with the saddlebag mounts ... and as "TwiZted" said, not everyone is looking to lay the scooter down on the ground so it looks cool on bike night but you can't get it in or out of the driveways and you have to get off the damn thing and walk it to go around a corner .... Functionality is important Brother ... Nice Work !

Old 11-04-2012, 09:49 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Keep in mind not everybody is into all that slammed low bullshit ,some of us actually these things in more than straight lines .
I just talk about the position of the saddlebags, not the overall height of the bike.
Shovel saddlebags sit pretty high and they leave a big gap between them and the exhaust.
They are shorter than newer ones, so they look fine on shovels.

If you use moders hard sadllebags with the shovel mounts, being them taller, they would really look high!

overallvery low baggers (or bikes) that drag everywhere and can't turn make no sense to me

Old 11-04-2012, 12:29 PM
shovelhead FXEF
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by U-234

Thanks for the pics. That is some good input. My bagger project has begun. I'll post some pics as I go along. Currently I'm using a mid- 90's fat boy front end, modern bags and shovel era FL rear fender. Trying to figure out wheels. Front one is easy, appears shovel wheels are hard to come by.

Old 11-04-2012, 01:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member

Originally Posted by shovelhead FXEF
Thanks for the pics. That is some good input. My bagger project has begun. I'll post some pics as I go along. Currently I'm using a mid- 90's fat boy front end, modern bags and shovel era FL rear fender. Trying to figure out wheels. Front one is easy, appears shovel wheels are hard to come by.
Anything with 3/4" bearings will work except for a few of the really weird enclosed chain & FLT wheels which had funny offsets most anything from 1999 back can be made to fit including the newer brake systems , been there done that to lots of shovels already . You can buy new wheels to fit under $200 anywhere too .

Quick Reply: Making a Shovelhead Bagger