Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

dual plug coils ??

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2013, 08:57 AM
Nightstar57
Stage IV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default dual plug coils ??

I have a 66 shovel engine with dual plug heads.. i also have a mallory electronic "distributor" and a set of dyna 3-ohm green coils.Mallory suggests using 2-4 ohm coils...no more than 5 ohm total..so if i tie the 2 coils together do i get 6-ohms of resistance ??? the coils came off of a dual-plug shovel so would anyone know if i could safely use them or do i need to buy a new set ??? I also have the original "circuit breaker" distributor...would these coils work with that ??? if not than exactly what are these coils for ??? Thanks..

Old 01-31-2013, 09:20 PM
extech
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I'm reading this correctly.... Mallory is referring to 3 ohms per coil not total, the green coils should work fine with the Mallory distributor but not the stock breaker point one.

The following users liked this post:
TooBlue (05-17-2020)
Old 02-01-2013, 07:00 PM
TwiZted Biker
Club Member
Received 47,925 Likes on 17,478 Posts

Hit Dyna's web site they have free wiring diagrams showing the different coil setups and configuration with explanations .

PS stock points need 5 ohms coils .

Old 02-12-2013, 04:09 PM
stroker93
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No doesn't work like that,,,A 3 ohm coil is used for a fully electronic ignition,(dyna 2000,,twin tech,,compu fire) A ignition similar to a dyna S or vulcan still has an advance weight system,,they want 5 ohms same as points..You can run 5 ohm with that timer for street use,,,3 ohm for race...The 3 ohm coils will heat up when running for a long distance ...When wiring coils for single fire dual plug,,you have to consider wiring in parallel or series,,,I'm not sure if that timer can do single fire,,,The Vulcan unit can fire single or dual,,3 or 5 ohm..
Dave

Old 05-17-2020, 01:16 PM
TooBlue
Stage III

Hi TwiZted Biker,
I am hoping you can share some of your expertise please.
I have a Shovelhead dual plug dual coil dual fire. I am looking for a simple wiring diagram.
It is a custom chopper that only has headlight, tail light, brake light, ignition.
I have headlight, tail light, brake light working, power to the coil just not sure the wiring of the coils. Not where wire from the points connects, but have power to the points. Maybe that isn't very clear, but I am stuck and would appreciate any advice.
Thank you!!!!
TooBlue

Old 05-17-2020, 01:30 PM
TooBlue
Stage III
Default Looking for Help

Originally Posted by TwiZted Biker
Hit Dyna's web site they have free wiring diagrams showing the different coil setups and configuration with explanations .

PS stock points need 5 ohms coils .
Hi TwiZted Biker,
I have a Shovelhead dual plug dual coil dual fire. I am looking for a simple wiring diagram.
It is a custom chopper that only has headlight, tail light, brake light, ignition.
I have headlight, tail light, brake light working, power to the coil just not sure the wiring of the coils. Not where wire from the points connects, but have power to the points. Maybe that isn't very clear, but I am stuck and would appreciate any advice.
Thank you!!!!
TooBlue

Old 05-17-2020, 02:04 PM
Racepres
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,054 Likes on 1,510 Posts

Originally Posted by TooBlue
Hi TwiZted Biker,
Thank you!!!!
TooBlue
I know you did not ask me but... easy ****...
Two 3 ohm coils wired in Parallel will give something less than 3 ohms total... while 2, ea. 3ohm coils wired in series will result in 6 ohms... just right for the typical Dyna-S type ignition... so... wire two of the dual tower 3 ohm coils in series..
that is 12v on one coil and triggers to the other one... coils tied together in to out...

Stiggy (05-17-2020)
Old 05-17-2020, 03:34 PM
TooBlue
Stage III

Originally Posted by Racepres
I know you did not ask me but... easy ****...
Two 3 ohm coils wired in Parallel will give something less than 3 ohms total... while 2, ea. 3ohm coils wired in series will result in 6 ohms... just right for the typical Dyna-S type ignition... so... wire two of the dual tower 3 ohm coils in series..
that is 12v on one coil and triggers to the other one... coils tied together in to out...

Thank you! Everything was running perfectly before I took it apart for this rebuild. I have points. The two coils are wired in series. I have 12V at the points but no spark at the points. It could be a condenser problem was another thought...

Old 05-17-2020, 04:40 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

a ground issue can cause no arc in the points

try rotating the engine till the points are for sure closed - then ground a test light and the point end open the points only using the arm of the point contact - see if it lights it should

Racepres (05-18-2020)