Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

Oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 12:17 PM
84 FLTC
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil issue

Here is what I got....its an 82FLTC, 5 speed tranny electric start, and the primary is chain.

The motor was pulled and the pistons and top end rebuilt/replaced. New alternator installed during reassembly. The primary chain oiler and return were welded closed. Primary was filled till it just touched the clutch hub as some suggest with ford ATF fluid.(opinions very on this I know).

Now the issues.....Derby cover leaked like crazy as if it was under a lot of pressure....didnt take long before the ATF fluid no longer smelled like ATF and turned black like oil.(oil leaking into primary from crank?) New seals so not sure about this.

In addition to the oil problem I am guessing I used one to many spacers when installing the alternator/compensator sprocket due to the fact that the compensator wore a hole in the primary cover in short order. My manual does not give a good illustration of the assembly of this. Of course the compensator is destroyed and needs replaced now.

So the two questions I pose to you all is.
1. What could cause oil to migrate to my primary? Could the oil lines be routed off the oil pump wrong causing an over pressure in the crank case causing it to push past the brand new seals and also pressurizing my primary? Or is it possible i have no migration and the color and smell change was due to the grinding of the compensator against the primary cover? Thoughts?
2. Any info on proper installation from the alternator back would be awsome...here was the configuration at failure.
Stator...2 washers...magnet...huge washer that came with the alternator...compensator sprocket assembly.

Thanks for any help. This was 3 month worth of building with 15 min of riding before teardown of primary. Just alittle irritated.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:27 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,234 Likes on 5,406 Posts

Originally Posted by 84 FLTC
Any info on proper installation from the alternator back would be awsome...here was the configuration at failure.
Stator...2 washers...magnet...huge washer that came with the alternator...compensator sprocket assembly.

Any pics of what you are using? You said you replaced the "alternator"...rotor? stator ? both? with what? Any parts from 70-99 can be used IF you use the correct combination of parts..but if you start switching things alignment can get screwed up in a hurry. They changed rotors(older ones had made on spacers) compensators and shaft extensions. the quickest way to tell if you are in the ballpark is to use a square and measure from the gasket surface to the chain...easy to throw it off a 1/4 inch or more with mismatched parts..this may help:
http://www.youtube.com/user/VTwinOnline/videos

Old 05-06-2013, 06:32 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,536 Likes on 2,872 Posts

to add to that - if you seperated the primary you will need to vent it as the oil when heated will expand and the air in the primary will also expand soooooo you need a vent - jz

Old 05-06-2013, 06:34 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,551 Likes on 3,058 Posts

I'm surprised that the misaligned chain wasn't making some racket the moment you started it riding it.

And I believe that a leaky crank seal will typically pull oil from the primary into the crankcase, not the other way around.

Old 05-07-2013, 10:59 AM
84 FLTC
Intermediate

Overview of V-Factor Charging System for Big Twin
  • These systems are the perfect choice when building a bike from scratch or when upgrading your weaker charging system
  • The alternator rotors feature fully encased sets of magnets that have no way of working loose like the OEM rotors are know to do
  • Instead of having just six long magnets like OEM rotors, these rotors have 12 short magnets to match the number of laminated windings found on the stators
  • 32 amp system
  • All systems include a chrome plated regulator/rectifier

Included Items:
    (1) Stator
    (1) Rotor
    (1) Regulator
    (4) Wire Ties
    (4) #10-24 x 1 in. Socket Head Bolts
    (1) 1 1/8 in. x 3 1/8 in. Flat Washer
    (1) 1 1/8 in. x 1 3/4 in. Flat Washer

FEATURES: Standard spline rotor with two rotor spacers

Specs

TypeCharging SystemUnitsEachWeight8.8 lbs

from Dennis Kirk

Old 05-07-2013, 11:03 AM
84 FLTC
Intermediate

That is the new charging system I installed......Still have no Idea why the ATF turned black and lost its horrible smell....

Old 05-07-2013, 07:43 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the Clutch was slipping - will heat the oil to a burned goo if you let it -

Old 05-08-2013, 09:00 AM
84 FLTC
Intermediate

I would buy that...Especially since I was generating a considerable amount of heat as the compensator was grinding a hole in my primary cover!

But no one can tell me proper installation from the alternator back?...here was the configuration at failure.
Stator...2 washers...rotor...huge washer that came with the alternator...compensator sprocket assembly. I am thinking there should of only been 1 washer between the stator and rotor.....

Old 05-08-2013, 07:00 PM
johnjzjz
Seasoned HDF Member

the spacing washers are for the correct location and alignment of the primary chain -- today i did one with one on the inside and 4 on the out side and when we checked it it was straight soooo none of what some think matters, as to the number and location its a you need to check it and the book has the how to do it -- jz

Old 05-09-2013, 03:40 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,551 Likes on 3,058 Posts

My excellent aftermarket charging system has been in my bike for the last 70,000 miles without a problem, except for the installation. ( Compufire 3 Phase.)

The washers and the instructions to install the narrower, vented rotor were simply wrong, stretching the chain outward from the motor relative to the clutch basket. Compufire sent me some various large flat washers for free and by simply measuring the distance from the chain to the primary from front to the back I got the chain aligned properly. ( It's the original chain too for the last 127,000 miles.)

So in your case, do what ya' gotta' do to make it right.

Quick Reply: Oil issue