Shovelhead A place to talk about Shovelheads.

anyone still run the stock primary chain oiler?

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2014, 04:43 PM
kino44
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
Default anyone still run the stock primary chain oiler?

I have a 1984 FLT EVO shovel bottom end with a dry clutch and primary oiler im new to this set up, I hear good and bad things.some say isolate the primary keeps clutch debris out of oil use about 6 to 8 oz of fluid check it often others say they have ran stock primary oiler for years with no issues.I would think it cant be to bad of a design Harley used it for years.I know JAP bikes share the same primary and engine oil. would like to hear from those who still run stock setup

Old 07-09-2014, 06:55 PM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,490 Likes on 5,462 Posts

I will never run one...I just tore down an 83 with less than 13k original miles...when I dissembled the primary one of the little screws that hold the plastic clip over the stator wires was missing...didn't think much of it at the time...when I dissembled the motor I found out where it went...if the primary had been separate it would have just laid in the bottom of the primary case with no problem...but it got sucked back through the motor with these results.

Old 07-10-2014, 04:57 AM
kino44
Tourer
Default primary oiler

OUCH! ok guess I will isolate it seems like most do.I just brought this bike and its in rough shape it is still hooked up to the oiler nobody isolated it.I haven't pulled the primary yet but did the top everything looks good so far.I hear I need different clutch plates and not to use the stock if I isolate it? a wet and dry type? would you know of any brands of wet dry plates I need to get?

Old 07-10-2014, 07:51 AM
V_twins
Road Captain
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts

even with oil in the primary, clutch is dry type
I've run both systems, no issues with either
I was told by and old school shovelhead expert mechanic that keeping the oiler is better though

Old 07-10-2014, 11:54 AM
FilthyLucre
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 30 Posts

Your bike your choice. I run the stock oil system and have for 41 years with no issues. Change your oil often. The stock system keeps your primary chain well oiled and the chain will last and last. I routinely remove the cover and clean the gunk that collects at the baffles ridges formed by the cover screw channels. That what they were designed for. Clean the magnetic drain plug and the sump where it sits. The oil has to rise above the level of the sump to get pulled back so the heavy stuff will settle.

If you isolate the primary make sure you check the oil level religiously. Running it low for only a few miles will ruin both the chain and adjuster pad.

Old 07-10-2014, 02:45 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default oiller

Originally Posted by V_twins
even with oil in the primary, clutch is dry type
I've run both systems, no issues with either
I was told by and old school shovelhead expert mechanic that keeping the oiler is better though

Yea I hear that to many have for years with no issues

Old 07-10-2014, 02:48 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default oiler

Originally Posted by FilthyLucre
Your bike your choice. I run the stock oil system and have for 41 years with no issues. Change your oil often. The stock system keeps your primary chain well oiled and the chain will last and last. I routinely remove the cover and clean the gunk that collects at the baffles ridges formed by the cover screw channels. That what they were designed for. Clean the magnetic drain plug and the sump where it sits. The oil has to rise above the level of the sump to get pulled back so the heavy stuff will settle.

If you isolate the primary make sure you check the oil level religiously. Running it low for only a few miles will ruin both the chain and adjuster pad.

Think Im going to have to agree I heard of guys gernading their clutches and primaries running with sealed they forget to check their oil level Im gona leave it alone where is this magnetic plug you speak of? I also may try to design one somewhere to collect the tiny shavings

Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
YeOldeStonecat
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,304 Likes on 1,546 Posts

If ya keep it as is....change oil/filter more often, and clean the primary area every now 'n then...she'll be fine.

If you don't feel like changing your oil/filter often....isolate it.
Sometimes the steps are a pain....I snapped off the brass fitting on my oil feed in the back of my inner primary when I was removing it..when I isolated mine. Was to put in a NPT plug. Prior owner musta locktited it. So I just put a few dabs of freaking red silicon goop in that hole...can't see it. Dang cheap fix. Threading the NTP plug into the feed behind the oil pump is a fun trick that'll challenge your dexterity and patience.....took me about 3 beers (I drink wicked quick though)

Old 07-10-2014, 03:05 PM
kino44
Tourer
Default oiler

This system has been used for years what since the 60,s? have you ever heard of anyone blowing their bikes up from this? I haven't unless it was due to neglect or lack of routine maintenance.I hear the deal with isolating the primary is for longer engine life.I have heard of guys getting 100,000 miles and more with the stock setup hell if I can get 100,000 or more id be happy thats about the common life of a motorcycle anyway.I know JAP bikes share the same oil with primary with no issues.

I am **** about my bikes on my sporty I changed the oil ridiculously at 2,000 I am constantly doing checks and maintenance,cleaning and tightening,adjusting lubing they wont do it for ya I believe in routine constant maintenance.things can start going wrong from just one trip.people just ride their bikes and expect them to hold up don't work that way so,I feel I should be fine running the oiler

Old 07-10-2014, 03:08 PM
kino44
Tourer

Originally Posted by YeOldeStonecat
If ya keep it as is....change oil/filter more often, and clean the primary area every now 'n then...she'll be fine.

If you don't feel like changing your oil/filter often....isolate it.
Sometimes the steps are a pain....I snapped off the brass fitting on my oil feed in the back of my inner primary when I was removing it..when I isolated mine. Was to put in a NPT plug. Prior owner musta locktited it. So I just put a few dabs of freaking red silicon goop in that hole...can't see it. Dang cheap fix. Threading the NTP plug into the feed behind the oil pump is a fun trick that'll challenge your dexterity and patience.....took me about 3 beers (I drink wicked quick though)

LOL on the 3 beers

Quick Reply: anyone still run the stock primary chain oiler?