Sponsored by:

Fuelpak 3 with dealer download stage 1

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 05:59 PM
geopac
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Fuelpak 3 with dealer download stage 1

When I bought my SGS I had the dealer install 4" Rineharts, PM air cleaner and a decatted header. Are there still any advantages to going with the FP3 and their maps or am going to get roughly the same thing? Hoping to get the bike running cooler and better throttle response not to mention decreasing or eliminating the popping on decel. I know some of these things have been talked about to death but I can't seem to find a thread that addresses the dealer stage 1 scenario.

Old 09-29-2016, 06:18 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

The dealer download is like a wet kiss from your grandma. It's not worth the time or effort, and it just leaves you empty inside.

Get the FP3. Pretend like you've never downloaded anything. Install the appropriate map. Enjoy the cooler, smoother ride.

GM

Old 09-29-2016, 06:18 PM
hamah
Road Warrior
Received 369 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by geopac
When I bought my SGS I had the dealer install 4" Rineharts, PM air cleaner and a decatted header. Are there still any advantages to going with the FP3 and their maps or am going to get roughly the same thing? Hoping to get the bike running cooler and better throttle response not to mention decreasing or eliminating the popping on decel. I know some of these things have been talked about to death but I can't seem to find a thread that addresses the dealer stage 1 scenario.
For the reasons you give (running richer/cooler, getting rid of decel pop, better throttle response) I think an after market tune is a good idea. This even though you are really only stage 1 and the stock map should be able to adjust to accommodate it.

A couple of points. I de-cated a stock header, used a stock AC, and put on V&H Monster Rounds with a FP3 on my '15 Ltd. I found that it didn't run a ton cooler, I did get nominally better throttle response and better seat-of-the-pants dyno results (for TQ), pretty much no (ok, maybe a little bit) decel popping. The downside is that the hotter the engine is running the more "stuttering" I get at idle (seems like the bike is almost about to stall and then the idle picks up a tad). I have absolutely no problem while under ANY throttle so it's fine as it never does stall and runs smooth when underway. I think this might be due to o2 sensor cross-talk (the stock header was designed to run with a cat). I continue to troubleshoot this issue and V&H support has been really great to work with. Would I do this all over again? I think so as the pros outweigh the cons but don't expect complete night and day differences.

Old 09-29-2016, 07:50 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 428 Likes on 286 Posts

I wouldn't waste my money on the dealer down load a FP3 is the way to go , a complete stg 1 will cool it down my wifes leg was getting roasted until the stg 1 was done no problems now

Old 09-29-2016, 08:04 PM
geopac
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rereading my post I forgot to mention that I did already get the dealer download when I bought the bike. Therefore is the FP3 still going to do anything for me is what I am asking?

Old 09-29-2016, 08:11 PM
GroovusMagnus
Road Captain
Received 197 Likes on 95 Posts

Rereading my post I forgot to mention that I did already get the dealer download when I bought the bike. Therefore is the FP3 still going to do anything for me is what I am asking?
Yes.

Buy it.

GM

Old 09-29-2016, 08:29 PM
talkingrock
Road Warrior
Received 428 Likes on 286 Posts

yes it will store the map if you ever need to reinstall it

Old 09-29-2016, 09:19 PM
DelRider
Cruiser
Received 33 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by hamah
... The downside is that the hotter the engine is running the more "stuttering" I get at idle (seems like the bike is almost about to stall and then the idle picks up a tad). I have absolutely no problem while under ANY throttle so it's fine as it never does stall and runs smooth when underway......
Two things .... I find it hard to believe that your engine is running -hotter- than stock. The changes you made and richer AFR should have the opposite effect..AND..what you describe sounds exactly like the ETIMS kicking in at idle. Perfectly normal and you can disable it in settings. Before you go getting all exotic with the O2 sensors (is the ECM even in closed loop operation and using O2 sensor input at idle?), did you check to make sure that ETIMS is disabled? Or leave it on if you want. It is doing its job, but if the sensation bothers you can turn it off.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:46 PM
hbsoldier3
Elite HDF Member

Received 796 Likes on 623 Posts

Yes, I did what you did ,stage 1 dealer download, then went with FP3 you will not be disappointed.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:55 PM
Blue Tick
Road Master
Received 54 Likes on 40 Posts

I went with an FP3 as well and so far very pleased. I've still been dealing with a bit of decel pop and from time to time on hard acceleration. V&H thinks there's some O2 crosstalk and have customized my map. So far, the couple calls in to them have been great.

Quick Reply: Fuelpak 3 with dealer download stage 1