Audio Systems Find answers to all of your stereo, speaker and other audio technology questions here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Puzzeld

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2016, 03:53 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain
Received 34 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Puzzeld

Ok couple questions..

IF my head unit has front and rear channel hpf then would I want full pass on amp/both channels and control through deck. OR??????

If I have rear channel split with y" to 1st amp running hpf and second amp bridged running full pass and I am adjusting head unit hpf am I defeating purpose. Should two amps hooked to same channel be one or the other not opposite ???

am I correct that when amp is on full pass then crossover on amp is non functioning.

Any help understanding this would be great.

Old 12-01-2016, 04:06 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

Received 464 Likes on 305 Posts

Originally Posted by FLYINGBROKE
IF my head unit has front and rear channel hpf then would I want full pass on amp/both channels and control through deck. OR??????
most of the time your better to use the head unit because you can set the HPF and the slope. Most amps won't let you set the slope and the crossover isn't precise (unless you use something like an SMD CC-1)

If I have rear channel split with y" to 1st amp running hpf and second amp bridged running full pass and I am adjusting head unit hpf am I defeating purpose. Should two amps hooked to same channel be one or the other not opposite ???
if you use a "y" both amps are getting the same signal. If you set the HPF on the head unit then you want to have the amp on full pass. If it were me, I'd use the amps to set the HPF when using a "y" and not the head unit.

am I correct that when amp is on full pass then crossover on amp is non functioning.
correct

Old 12-01-2016, 05:24 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain

Thanks bunker, so I will have one channel on amp full and one on hpf and set one channel with head unit and one channel using two separate amps,

when amp is on hpf and I mess with hpf on head unit for that channel dose it change anything. Is there a setting head unit should be on for the channel i am running and controlling with amp.

Old 12-01-2016, 06:10 PM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

when amp is on hpf and I mess with hpf on head unit for that channel dose it change anything. Is there a setting head unit should be on for the channel i am running and controlling with amp.
there's a thread about that exact topic somewhere on here, basically don't do that

settings are for front and rear so whatever you have going to front either adjust in the head unit with the amp on fp or don't set the head unit and set the hpf on the amp.

Same for the rear, HPF works for front and rear (on most head units, some share a HPF front AND rear, my sony did that but the kenwood 998 is separate)

Old 12-01-2016, 06:19 PM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain

What am I trying to ask now is what do I set head unit to for channel I want to control with amps, ie for rear I don't remember option for off on rear in head unit only freq to choose from so if I do nothing it will read 80hz when looking at rear hpf .

I bet I am confused and missing something

Old 12-02-2016, 08:02 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

what deck you using?

Old 12-02-2016, 08:08 AM
Bunker
Stellar HDF Member

here's the 998, you can choose "Through" as an option (that's also the default)

Old 12-02-2016, 11:45 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain

The Alpine hd149bt, yes you are following me there is no through or off for any given channel that I can remember. I will check again .

Thanks again.

Old 12-06-2016, 11:52 AM
FLYINGBROKE
Road Captain

So come to find out setting all frq in hpf mode to flat is same as pass through. Makes sense now that I think about it.