Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Ape issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2017, 07:59 PM
ProspectNY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ape issues

Ok so I received apes for Christmas for my 2012 SG. But they are the wrong ones. Now I went to Harley one day, and a used bike had a set of bars on them and I asked them if they knew which bars they were. The service guy told me they were drag specialties Part number 0601-1242. When you look at them on the website, they say they fit road glides and road kings not SG. But, I liked the feel, the height, the pullback, everything felt right. Now, the bars I received are 0601-2744. When you look at the stats for the two of them, they are completely different. Is it possible the service guy gave me the wrong part number considering they are only listed for road glide and road king? Would the 1242 still fit regardless? Or do I need to go with 2744? Also, I will be doing this myself, is there anything I need to know going into it? Will I need both clutch and brake lines? Looking for links to each of them if you know of lines that work. Also, same for the wiring. Is there anything else I would need? I'm going black bars, and would like black cables and whatnot. Already know about bleeding the brakes. Which I will do, but should/could I take it to the dealer after to have them purge the solenoids? Thanks

Old 01-17-2017, 05:30 AM
skydude426
Club Member
Received 385 Likes on 221 Posts

What I found as far as brake line and clutch cable is to leave the existing ones on the bike, just disconnect them from the bars so you can remove the bars. Mount the new bars where they are comfortable and then with the existing clutch cable and brake line still on the bike it's easy to see how much longer the new ones have to be.

The following users liked this post:
DanHappy (01-18-2017)
Old 01-17-2017, 05:40 AM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

If they're for a RG or a RK. They will not fit your SG. Not sure about the part numbers. Didn't have time to look them up.

Old 01-17-2017, 08:26 AM
ProspectNY
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RFG
If they're for a RG or a RK. They will not fit your SG. Not sure about the part numbers. Didn't have time to look them up.
I had the same feeling. If it doesn't say SG, then most likely it wouldn't fit

http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=06011242

http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=06012744

So I'll just go back and get the black bars.

Can anyone direct me on cables on the cheap?? I don't think that the quality/make is important because they are all doing the same job and one can't really do it better? Or am I wrong?

Also need a link for the wire extensions. I've seen namz, but can't really figure out from their website which ones I should purchase. I'll give them a call in the coming days as I want to get everything else squared away.

In regards to the size of the cables, the bars look like they are 13". So I guess we'll go with that estimate. Thanks for the help in advance!

Old 01-17-2017, 09:11 AM
Sturgis67
Road Master
Received 117 Likes on 94 Posts

In regargs to wires. Get a roll of the same gauge wire, color doesn't matter (in the middle of the wires). Cut, splice, solder, heat shrink repeat.
Tons of posts on here about putting on bars, just need to do a search.
Hill country customs is a good source for parts. lots of bar info there.
hillcountrycustomcycles.com

Last edited by Sturgis67; 01-17-2017 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-17-2017, 09:42 AM
glcash
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts

Roadglide bars have a smaller center length. They will not fit on a street glide. The bars won't make it outside of the inner fairing cap that sits under the ignition.

Street glide bars have a wider length. They will not fit on roadglide. They will hit the inner Fairing when the front will is turned left or right.

Pretty much sums it up!

Old 01-17-2017, 10:33 AM
Magnut1
Grand HDF Member
Received 1,682 Likes on 825 Posts

I seen a pic of someone put SG bars on a RK, didn't look right to me.

Old 01-17-2017, 12:55 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by Magnut1
I seen a pic of someone put SG bars on a RK, didn't look right to me.
I can imagine. It's gotta be ugly. But. If he likes it. Who are we to judge.

Old 01-18-2017, 01:54 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by ProspectNY
I had the same feeling. If it doesn't say SG, then most likely it wouldn't fit

http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=06011242

http://www.dragspecialties.com/produ...umber=06012744

So I'll just go back and get the black bars.

Can anyone direct me on cables on the cheap?? I don't think that the quality/make is important because they are all doing the same job and one can't really do it better? Or am I wrong?

Also need a link for the wire extensions. I've seen namz, but can't really figure out from their website which ones I should purchase. I'll give them a call in the coming days as I want to get everything else squared away.

In regards to the size of the cables, the bars look like they are 13". So I guess we'll go with that estimate. Thanks for the help in advance!
As far as cables go, get decent ones or later you will be changing the cheap ones to good ones. Its what I am doing now. I bought the Hill Country Custom 14" kit which included everything I needed to complete an install. The only problems I have had is with the included cables, which were Motion Pro (same as Drag Specialties, Bikers Choice, etc). The clutch cable leaked oil, as did the identical replacement. Switched to Magnum Shielding and no leak. The throttle cables never fit right and could not adjust out the too much play. Switched to Magnum Shielding and no problem. The brake line has been OK so far but eventually that will get changed too.

On my 14" bars, the clutch cable is 8" over stock and the throttle cables are 6" over stock. Stock Electra Glide bars are 8" (generally) so usually you add an inch for every inch you go up. Apparently I needed an 8" over clutch cable which fits perfect.