Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08 ETC Hot Restart Fast Idle

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2008, 04:54 PM
DrBob81
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 08 ETC Hot Restart Fast Idle

Several times now, I have shut my bike off hot and restarted it within 5 or 10 minutes and the thing wants to idle at 1500 rpm or higher. I can bring it down by pushing the throttle in the closed direction. It only slows down after I ride it awhile. I can leave it parked for three days and the thing starts with the high idle until I ride it. Itdid this before and after the PC. There is no idle adjustment and the dealer is clueless. I saw 1 thread awhile ago about a fast idle. Anybody else seen this? This last time it took about15 miles of riding to come back down to 1050 rpm idle. My factory sevice manual doesn't cover the ETC.

Old 03-08-2008, 05:29 PM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Default RE: 08 ETC Hot Restart Fast Idle

I wish you a lot of luck. I,ve had that problem on my 06 Ultra since 5/06. They have replaced the induction module seals 2 times, Idle air speed motor, they reprogramed it many,many times. I finally called HD customer service and filed a complaint. They think there is a problem with the ECM being bad. I can shut the bike off and restart it and it will idle like it is supposed to. Now it's wait till spring and see if it does it again. Dan

Old 03-08-2008, 05:38 PM
XTrooper3936
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

dgriffith is on the right track. Your engine's idle speed is controlled by your PCM. I seriously doubt this problem has anything to do with your throttle.

Old 03-09-2008, 09:54 AM
Forget About It
Banned

i have had 3 brand new 08s 2 streetglides and now my 08oadglide they all do the same thing they idle high for about 2 minutes then come back down

Old 03-09-2008, 11:20 AM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: XTrooper3936

dgriffith is on the right track. Your engine's idle speed is controlled by your PCM. I seriously doubt this problem has anything to do with your throttle.
Then why does it come down when he turns the throttle in the closed position.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:28 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

ORIGINAL: DrBob81

Several times now, I have shut my bike off hot and restarted it within 5 or 10 minutes and the thing wants to idle at 1500 rpm or higher.
My '07 SG does that while moving, but will return to 900 rpm's when the bike is stationary. It's only when I've let it sit for 5-30 min., enough for it to cool down somewhat, and only lasts a minute or two. For example, I frequently ride it to the health club and when I'm finished it will usually idle at 1500 or so after I take off while moving, but will return to normal when at a stop. I don't consider this a problem or a manfunction, as my car sometimes will idle fast under similar conditions. I haven't tried nudging the throttle down to see if idle goes back to normal.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 AM
ratcat
Tourer

Mine did the samething, by the way...Great looking bike!!!,
I had a sticky throttal when it had only 20 miles on my 08 ultra, so I put a drop of Armor All between the grip and switch housing, That cured that. I just installed some new grips and no problems.
I did have an issue on my fatboy a few years ago, fast idle, 1500 for about a mile or so, also the fatboy would not idle at all. Dealer had no idea, the problem was not there when I would take it in. I did clean and lube the idle servo, the little plunger you see when you take the aircleaner off. Plus I always us the kill switch, And have not had a problem in 3 years.

Old 03-09-2008, 11:55 AM
ratcat
Tourer

Turning the throttle back, or forward, passed the closed podition, does a few things. It cancels the cruise control,and switchs on or off the heat management system when the engineis not running and the ignition switch is on. I have not played withit myself. anyone else?

Old 03-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Scootr
Road Master

Mine has had a high idle 2 or 3 times in 9000 miles on a hot restart. So far it is not enough to bother me.

Old 03-09-2008, 01:04 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I HAVE A 2006 ROAD KING, MINE ALSO STARTS WITH A HIGH IDLE FOR ABOUT 30 SECONDS EVERY SINGLE TIME BUT ONLY DOES IT WHEN THE PC III IS INSTALLED ON THE BIKE. THERE IS ALSO A DELAYED START UP IF YOU LET IT CYCLE ALL THE WAY THRU THE FUEL INJECTION CYCLE WHEN YOU FIRST PUSH THE RUN SWITCH. JAMIE AT FUEL MOTO ADVISED ME THIS IS THE SAME WITH ALL THE 06'S AS HD CHANGED THE WAY THE ECM WAS NOW PROGRAMED 06 AND UP. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH A PC III INSTALLED. IT'S JUST SOMETHING I GOT USED TO DOING AT START UP AND THE HIGH IDLE FOR 30 SEC IS ALSO SOMETHING I GOT USED TO.

Quick Reply: 08 ETC Hot Restart Fast Idle