Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

your opinions please!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:59 PM
Jimmy The Human
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your opinions please!!

Hi I am going through the longggg process of looking at wheels for my 2007 FXSTC and living in a remote area I do not get a chance to see many mag/billet wheels only in photos. I intend to just stay with the standard size on the bike so 21 front and I am not considering having an extended front guard. so I have a couple of questions.

is it an optical illusion that makes some style of 21' mags look bigger than they really are?? I also notice that I have not seen anyone with any more than 5 spokes on a style of bike like mine? is this because of what I mentioned they tend to look to big??
I like 7 spoke mags and I am leaning towards Renegade Phoenix or the RC components Epic I did also like the RC Czar but I am now thinking they are to??full? or busy? I just want to balance the bike out not make the wheels the highlight I hope you get my drift.
any feed back would be appreciated on my questions and if anyone has some pics of simular of what I am asking that would be great.
oh and yeah I have already done my head in trolling through the many wheels sites and threads on here too.

cheers Jimmy

Old 10-30-2014, 06:49 AM
Sgt_Jim
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i dont have much input on different types of wheels and stuff, but to me 21's always look huge because they generally have a narrow tire on them, which makes it look bigger.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:49 PM
Jimmy The Human
Novice

hey thanks Sgt Jim yeah it seems to be an optical illusion and I figured that is why some people have gone for the bigger fender that wraps around the tyre a lot more than the standard fender,,or front guard.

cheers Jimmy

Old 10-31-2014, 05:36 AM
Echo6 Sierra
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

If you're going to drop the coin for new mags I'd step up the front to a 21x3.5 and mount a 120/70 on there. I went from a MH90 Dunlop to a 90/90 Metzeler recently and can feel a difference in handling; I don't get sucked into the grooves in the pavement like I use to. I'll be stepping up myself at some point, just don't have the cash for rims right now.

Old 10-31-2014, 05:52 AM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,786 Likes on 9,863 Posts

May I suggest getting a "simple" design when changing wheels? Some wheels are beautiful to look at, but cleaning them will be a pure PITA. JMHO.

Old 10-31-2014, 07:37 AM
Warp Factor
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 87 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Echo6 Sierra
If you're going to drop the coin for new mags I'd step up the front to a 21x3.5 and mount a 120/70 on there.
That's probably what I'd do to (if it's a wide-glide front end?), although it will require a wider front fender to cover the tire. If you want to get an idea what that width looks like, it's standard on the Breakout.

Old 10-31-2014, 10:24 AM
Hogpro
Former Sponsor
Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

If you go to a 21x3.5 you will need a different front fender as the wider 120/70/21 tire will rub on the fender brackets. As far as how they look in pics, it is hard to say but you are probably seeing wider 21" wheels which from an angle might make them look a little larger in some way.

I can provide you with all of those wheels or some of my own brand for a nice discount. Check out our HogPro wheels here.
http://www.hogpro.com/showsubcat2.ph...=1&subcatid=97

http://www.hogpro.com/showsubcat2.ph...=1&subcatid=77

http://www.hogpro.com/showsubcat2.ph...=1&subcatid=10

As far as what looks best, it really is a persoanl choice. Some guys like a classic looking 5 spoke, some guys want fat 50 spokes. For a 7 spoke our Apollo is a really nice choice as well. For my personal taste a 5 spoke without a split is too plain for my taste.

Here is the Apollo.

Old 10-31-2014, 08:16 PM
Jimmy The Human
Novice

Originally Posted by Echo6 Sierra
If you're going to drop the coin for new mags I'd step up the front to a 21x3.5 and mount a 120/70 on there. I went from a MH90 Dunlop to a 90/90 Metzeler recently and can feel a difference in handling; I don't get sucked into the grooves in the pavement like I use to. I'll be stepping up myself at some point, just don't have the cash for rims right now.
hey thanks Echo6 for your thoughts and I suppose tram tracking as we would call it picking up grooves or shoulder in the road with the narrower front tyre well I just deal with it we have some good roads and a lot of **** roads but I think I will stick to stock size and looks
cheers Jimmy

Old 11-01-2014, 01:41 AM
Jimmy The Human
Novice

Originally Posted by Hogpro
If you go to a 21x3.5 you will need a different front fender as the wider 120/70/21 tire will rub on the fender brackets. As far as how they look in pics, it is hard to say but you are probably seeing wider 21" wheels which from an angle might make them look a little larger in some way.

I can provide you with all of those wheels or some of my own brand for a nice discount. Check out our HogPro wheels here.
http://www.hogpro.com/showsubcat2.ph...=1&subcatid=97

http://www.hogpro.com/showsubcat2.ph...=1&subcatid=77

http://www.hogpro.com/showsubcat2.ph...=1&subcatid=10

As far as what looks best, it really is a persoanl choice. Some guys like a classic looking 5 spoke, some guys want fat 50 spokes. For a 7 spoke our Apollo is a really nice choice as well. For my personal taste a 5 spoke without a split is too plain for my taste.

Here is the Apollo.

thank you I will keep you in mind when I am concrete with a decision
cheers Jimmy.

Old 11-02-2014, 01:39 PM
Jimmy The Human
Novice

thanks Hogpro I have emailed you.
cheers Jimmy

Quick Reply: your opinions please!!