Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance and Hines quiet baffle... a warning!

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2015, 04:40 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Vance and Hines quiet baffle... a warning!

Hi folks,

So I recently bought some quiet baffles to put in the V&H slip-ons that came with my Slim.

These ones...

The original baffles were a pain to get out (which should have warned me), but once in I felt the quiet baffles 'muffled' the sound too much so I tried to then remove them.

Basically, once in, those suckers don't want to come out.

So I removed the mufflers and tried to tap them out from the other end.

Well, needless to say it doesn't work. Here's the results...

The 'front' of the baffle has a slopped lip, so you can't get any purchase on it to tap it out, so I was tapping directly on the baffle's central insert (basically the actual cylindrical inner 'baffle' bit on any 'normal' exhaust). It worked for a while, gently, slowly, cutting away the material as it came out, but as you can see eventually the weld that joins the inner baffle to the outer 'mesh' eventually failed and this was what I was stuck with. No amount of vice/grips/twisting/tapping was gonna shift it.

The upshot is, it's just cost me a new pair of slip ons.

So folks, beware. If you want to insert the quiet baffles, be REALLY sure it's what you want as you won't get them out! Or, strip off the material first, knowing you can always then pull the baffle out and re-wrap them if you're not happy with the 'bare metal' baffles alone.

Actually, there is a happy ending... the inner part of the baffles (that snapped free) are actually perfect on their own, for me. They're welded to the outer flange that you use to secure the baffles in (with the allen bolt) and give just enough 'baffling' without making the pipes to quiet.

So I eventually got what I wanted, just at a cost!

Old 08-26-2015, 05:33 AM
Innigray
Intermediate
Received 11 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the same problem. I fitted them into my Freedom Amendment pipes (yes they do fit) I removed them because they were to quiet. I used a hook to pull mine out, then removed the packing (what was left of it) I also cut off the end caps. The sound is just right for me.

Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member
Received 753 Likes on 461 Posts

Mine were also tight and I to had a hard time pulling them out.
I heated up the pipes (ran the bike) and then was able to get them out with a little effort.

Old 08-26-2015, 01:10 PM
FFeric
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I there a noticeable difference with the quiet baffles? I was thinking about going with some Vance and Hines but I rather have a quiet deeper tone. Thanks

Old 08-27-2015, 02:45 PM
dynaken
Cruiser
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FFeric
Is there a noticeable difference with the quiet baffles? I was thinking about going with some Vance and Hines but I rather have a quiet deeper tone. Thanks
I just put the quite baffles in my Vance & Hines Big Shots. It made them a little more quite when just cruising but still roar on acceleration. What I like about them is they definitely eliminated the harsh snapping/ear piercing tone under load !!!

Old 08-29-2015, 01:55 AM
stinkerbill
Road Captain
Received 171 Likes on 82 Posts

Yeah, as Dynaken says, they take the 'edge' off, add a touch of the classic Harley 'wet-fart' sound ...but for me they also made it too quiet.

Ironically, the baffle as it is now (without the wadding and mesh outer 'tube' is actually perfect for me.

It keeps the sound deep and 'rumbling' but just knocks off a touch of the volume and the 'headache-enducing' edge

Old 08-29-2015, 02:26 AM
Next In Line
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 160 Likes on 126 Posts

The fiberglass matting will deteriorate over time making the exhaust louder over time.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:25 AM
cocky
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 152 Likes on 124 Posts

The defiantly take the tinny out and sound great to me.

Old 08-29-2015, 08:02 PM
RandallJ
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The glass mat slides between the edge of the baffle and the pipe wall.. (massive wedgie)
You likely noticed this when you slid them in..

I got mine out for testing by just working them in and out about 30 times.. A real PITA..

FIX: at 4 points on the mat material I simply wrapped with stainless safety wire and snugged the matting to the baffle itself.. (paying attention to the ends especially)

Pulling the baffles is a bit of a hassle as they fit the pipe shell pretty snug.. I use my "Silver Slapper" slide hammer with the seal hook on it.. pretty painless..

Old 08-30-2015, 09:53 AM
fcsallan
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I use a belt sander around the metal edge of the baffles to make them slide in and out easier. You just have to make sure that the screw to keep them in is always tight or you may shoot it out the pipe at the cage behind you on the highway. Oh and I"m with Randall, slide hammer for the win in removing stubborn baffles.

Quick Reply: Vance and Hines quiet baffle... a warning!