Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Sprocket offset question

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2016, 08:53 AM
bartek2405
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sprocket offset question

Hi everyone!

Kind of weird, but here’s my question.
I’m planning to build a bobber based on Night Train.
Hard to explain, but long story short, I have almost all parts needed for that rebuild - except bike.
I have exactly the same wheels as follows:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2000-2016-Ha...dWjIHY&vxp=mtr

I’m going to put HHI Sprocket Brake Kit and 150 tire on rear.
Assuming that basis for that project will be 00-05 Night Train with 5-speed tranny, standard wheels and standard 150 rear tire, is it possible to figure out what offset transmission sprocket I need??

I was considering 0” offset (assuming that tire width stays the same), but I’m not sure about hub width between stock FXSTB and my wheel. What is more, I found only PBI offering 0” offset sprocket for chain conversions, other manufacturers offer .500” as a standard offset.
Let me clear that issue up.

Like I wrote at the beginning, it can seem to be weird, but I’m from Poland, it’s hard to get some custom HD parts here, once you get them they’re much more expensive than in US. I’ll be in the States in March and would like to pick up some parts, including transmission sprocket.

Thanks,
Bartek.

Old 01-15-2016, 01:40 AM
Ink83
Road Warrior
Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

Hi Bartek, due to using sporty wheels, it would be anyone's guess as to what offset you may need. Though I've seen a few trains with these wheels on them, they aren't on here to ask. It's really one of those things you'll have to wait until you have the wheel mounted in position and measure it yourself. With a 150 you can get that dead center, though if your order the wrong offset, it's going to sit off to one side.

I'm in Australia, nothing's cheap for bikes either here. More the reason you should buy the bike and wheels and measure it first hand so you're no wasting money on wrong parts

Old 01-16-2016, 10:31 AM
bartek2405
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, after some deeper research in that I will simply have to go along with that and wait.
No other option which would be as good!

Old 07-27-2016, 05:08 PM
fastman614
Novice
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It has been my experience with swapping big twin wheels on to Sportsters that the rear wheels are the same offsets and widths as dynas and most softails - The exceptions are Fatboy and Heritage wheels which, on the front, for sure, are about 5mm (IIRC) different than other wide hubbed wheels. The problem with fitment shows up when in a non-correctable with when trying to fit a NON Heritage/Fatboy wheel to the front end of same.

The Sportie/Narrowglide front wheel will give you some grief with the fact that the hub width is about 4 incles instead of 6 inches....the wideglide front end AXLES are under cut by about .010" for about 4 1/2 inches in the middle of the axle. Therefore, you will have about .010" too much clearance on the I.Ds. of the bearings. There is NO EASY WAY (that I have found yet) to correct this. Some ideas for correcting this include machining the axle to the smaller diameter and finding a bearing with factory O.D. & width and that smaller I.D.....or using a larger OEM wheel bearing (1 inch or 25mm I.D.) with a sleeve/spacer assembly that is bored to the smaller axle diameter....or making a new axle with no middle under sized section...

Personally, the sprocket spacing is probably the easy and cheap thinf to deal with - there is at least one discount seller online who has spacers for fairly low prices.

good luck!