Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2016, 05:17 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

I don't have the stock pulley either but the chromed turbine pulley. So actually it's the same situation as yours.

I simply don't have anyone to turn down the pulley neither do I do my own wrenching. My bike is still under warranty and anything done to the bike will be done by my dealer. Where I live no dealer will install an OEM pulley that has been machined to non-OEM specs. Plus doing so isn't allowed anyway around here.

That's why I am looking for a direct bolt-on solution w/o having to machine parts, use of aftermarket spacers (that might not be available here) etc.

I would not expect the front pulley outer lip to align the belt to the center of the rear pulley. I would expect the belt wandering to the outside lip of the rear pulley. The resulting misalignment of rear and front pulley would then cause the belt to run skew. This might eat up the belt on the outside lip of the front pulley.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:41 PM
bodgie1307
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

i see no reason why you couldnt just bolt the 40447 without spacers or machining as its only 1.4 mm wider in belt track @ (30mm) and has a negative 1.5mm offset however to prevent belt walk on backspin rather than use large spacers im thinking to machine belt track down to 26mm for the 24mm belt and use a 1.5mm spacer to correct offset to stock

here are the pics of inside face of pulley showing where you could machine

Last edited by bodgie1307; 11-15-2016 at 04:04 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 01:57 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

Thx for the clarification and the pics! Please keep us posted as you progress...

Old 11-29-2016, 05:26 PM
theojkett
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default My head is going to explode

Thanks for all the info but I'm more confused than I was before.

Here's the deal. I have to replace the belt and rear pulley on my '03 Heritage 100th Anniversary. The previous owner made a lot of upgrades to the bike and I know he replaced the rear pulley. To what, I don't know. But by reading through your post I suspect that he went for a different ratio to improve performance. Did it? I don't know, but I can tell you that the belt squeals enough to drive everyone around me crazy. I can hear it with a full helmet on.

So I've decided to replace the belt and the rear pulley, but now I'm wondering if I have to replace the inner pulley as well. I just want it to be stock, I don't need anything fancy or "improved performance parts". Just stock.

So before I can buy parts... I need to know what to buy. Belt and rear pulley is all I hope I need.

Old 11-29-2016, 06:03 PM
bodgie1307
Cruiser

[QUOTE=theojkett;15718152]Thanks for all the info but I'm more confused than I was before.

Here's the deal. I have to replace the belt and rear pulley on my '03 Heritage 100th Anniversary. The previous owner made a lot of upgrades to the bike and I know he replaced the rear pulley. To what, I don't know. But by reading through your post I suspect that he went for a different ratio to improve performance. Did it? I don't know, but I can tell you that the belt squeals enough to drive everyone around me crazy. I can hear it with a full helmet on.

hey mate check out this site http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=12&make=hdmc&a=1020&vehicleid=2 014-Harley-Davidson-Street-Bike-FXSB-SOFTAIL%AE-BREAKOUT-103B-(BFV)

look for your bike in drop down list and then the pulleys and belt it will list teeth count and part numbers

Old 11-29-2016, 06:25 PM
bodgie1307
Cruiser

If this is your bike you have stock
64T rear
32T frt
132T belt

http://partsfinder.onlinemicrofiche.com/ronnies/showmodel.asp?Type=13&make=hdmc&a=649&b=21&c=0&d=2 007%20FLSTC%20HERITAGE%20SOFTAIL%AE%20CLASSIC%20(B W)%20BELTS%20W/%20CHAINS%20AND%20SPROCKETS

Old 12-15-2016, 12:41 AM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member

My bike has been updated with the front pulley. For the time being I will call it done. Anyway bike is stored now until March.....only then I can try what difference the front pulley swap makes. My HD mech was quite impressed with only the 6.x % increase in torque etc. when test riding the bike after the install.

For all who are interested in this pulley upgrade I can confirm that the 30T Tri-Glide pulley 83595-011 works fine with the stock belt on '14 Breakouts. Maybe LA_Dog can update that on the summarizing post....

Old 12-15-2016, 01:27 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by EagleRay
My bike has been updated with the front pulley. For the time being I will call it done. Anyway bike is stored now until March.....only then I can try what difference the front pulley swap makes. My HD mech was quite impressed with only the 6.x % increase in torque etc. when test riding the bike after the install.

For all who are interested in this pulley upgrade I can confirm that the 30T Tri-Glide pulley 83595-011 works fine with the stock belt on '14 Breakouts. Maybe LA_Dog can update that on the summarizing post....
That's awesome EagleRay, glad you got that done. So the 30t/66t fit the stock belt? Good to know. You'll definitely want to go 68 or 70 on the rear, if you are able to, and get the full benefit. I know you have stiffer regs to deal with there though.

Tell your HD mechanic it should not be so surprising. All we are doing is "removing the speed governor" put on the bikes by HD in 2007 and up, when they imposed the taller belt pulley drive ratios for epa / noise compliance. It's amazing how many mechanics forget what the overall drive ratios on HD's used to be prior to 2007. We're just taking our bikes back to that speedier era

Old 12-15-2016, 01:46 AM
splattttttt
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 430 Likes on 379 Posts

It's no wonder why this is the most common first modification at any track. There is no bigger bang for your buck out there and for minimal amount of work.

Old 12-16-2016, 02:01 AM
Rocker B
Road Warrior
Received 308 Likes on 210 Posts

That's interesting Ray, I thought the Rocker and Breakout options would be the same, but.....I can report that the 30/66 will NOT work on the Rocker, I tried after installing the 30t sprocket, but before receiving my 70t pulley. The stock position of the axle is almost all the way to the rear, so you would need a shorter belt to run a 30/66 combo....BUT, for the Rocker, this also opens up the option to use a 72t pulley (custom, like Southern Motorcycle Works) either with the stock belt and stock 32t sprocket, which I think would be about a 9% torque increase with a simple pulley swap,......OR go with a 30/72 combo for a 15%+ increase!!

Last edited by Rocker B; 12-16-2016 at 02:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Drive ratio upgrade HOW TO: Belt Pulleys, Primary sprockets, improve TQ up to 13%