Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2013 Fat Boy Lo Full Exhaust Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:47 PM
DocBarrantes
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2013 Fat Boy Lo Full Exhaust Replacement

Hey all,

I am considering replacing the stock exhausts that came with my 13 FLSTFB, currently I am thinking to get the Bassani Radial Sweepers
I was wondering if anyone has done that to their bike and if so, will I have to install an EFI system as well, or have it remapped? I am not thinking of replacing the air cleaner just the exhausts. Any and all advise is greatly appreciated...

Pic of the exhaust:

Old 04-28-2016, 09:02 PM
ILMFBL
Road Warrior
Received 132 Likes on 114 Posts

Why wouldn't you go with a high flow air intake and tuner too? By changing out the pipes you're more than half way there to doing your stage 1, so go for it and let the bike run and breath like it should, you'll be glad you did. Like the pipes by the way, don't have any info on em though.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:13 AM
Antonio Balls
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,654 Likes on 796 Posts

General rule of thumb is you can replace either the exhaust OR the breather without remapping. Replacing both will require remap. This is known as Stage 1.
Lots of options available regarding available high flow intakes and remapping products available. A popular and simple system to consider if you aren't considering future engine modifications is the Vance and Hines FP3.
The bike will benefit greatly by a Stage 1 in that the air/fuel ratio will be modified allowing for more efficient (and cooler) operation. The stock setup is designed to run lean for emissions reasons which produces a lot of heat.
The difference in performance after a Stage 1 is noticeable.
DK Custom Products is a GREAT source. www.dkcustomproducts.com

One last thing: Take your time choosing an exhaust. A two into one system will generally produce more power and there are lots of options. They also produce a very deep exhaust tone that some people like. Lots of manufacturers and systems. Bassani has plenty of options. Vance and Hines Pro Pipes are great too and happen to look good on your bike. Rinehart too! YouTube has samples of nearly every system. Check out www.jpcycles.com. They carry most.
Sorry for the long post. Just sharing. Enjoy the search!

Last edited by Antonio Balls; 04-30-2016 at 06:37 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ILMFBL (04-30-2016)
Old 04-30-2016, 09:42 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

do those pipes go with the overall look of the bike, i mean unless you have other items on the bike the that edge cut look, they will stick out like a sore thumb

Old 05-01-2016, 09:07 AM
mswing1234
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A couple of other considerations...have you heard the Bassani Radial Sweepers on a bike with a 103? They look pretty cool but they also look like they might be crazy loud. The business end of the upper pipe is also pretty close to the passenger peg of the Breakout in the pic. I don't know how closely that location compares to your FB but if you like your passengers to be comfortable, you might consider this as well.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:50 PM
DocBarrantes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by ILMFBL
Why wouldn't you go with a high flow air intake and tuner too? By changing out the pipes you're more than half way there to doing your stage 1, so go for it and let the bike run and breath like it should, you'll be glad you did. Like the pipes by the way, don't have any info on em though.
To be honest with you, I'd say that budget is the reason why... It seems like $700 +/- is more doable then say $1500

Old 05-02-2016, 07:52 PM
DocBarrantes
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Antonio *****
General rule of thumb is you can replace either the exhaust OR the breather without remapping. Replacing both will require remap. This is known as Stage 1.
Lots of options available regarding available high flow intakes and remapping products available. A popular and simple system to consider if you aren't considering future engine modifications is the Vance and Hines FP3.
The bike will benefit greatly by a Stage 1 in that the air/fuel ratio will be modified allowing for more efficient (and cooler) operation. The stock setup is designed to run lean for emissions reasons which produces a lot of heat.
The difference in performance after a Stage 1 is noticeable.
DK Custom Products is a GREAT source. www.dkcustomproducts.com

One last thing: Take your time choosing an exhaust. A two into one system will generally produce more power and there are lots of options. They also produce a very deep exhaust tone that some people like. Lots of manufacturers and systems. Bassani has plenty of options. Vance and Hines Pro Pipes are great too and happen to look good on your bike. Rinehart too! YouTube has samples of nearly every system. Check out www.jpcycles.com. They carry most.
Sorry for the long post. Just sharing. Enjoy the search!
Great! Thank you for the advise, that is kind of what I was looking for.

Old 05-02-2016, 11:36 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Lots of choices out there. Take some time, stand back and stare at it for a while. Have a beer, scratch a few things. Don't be in too big of rush.

Search the forum, go through the Fat Boy Lo thread. Get some ideas. You don't have to blow a wad on mods all at once.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:42 AM
Freak Show
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 510 Likes on 448 Posts

everything is a work in progress and as my buddy tells me, you'll always find something to do. He's right!

Old 05-05-2016, 11:56 PM
Gommee
Devil's Advocate
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Freak Show
everything is a work in progress and as my buddy tells me, you'll always find something to do. He's right!
Hey Dan, it's an addiction, it is like crack, keeps drawing you in deeper and deeper and deeper...

Did you make your air cleaner blue yet? lol

Last edited by Gommee; 05-06-2016 at 12:07 AM.

Quick Reply: 2013 Fat Boy Lo Full Exhaust Replacement