Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Adjusting an older rear shocks lowering kit. Please help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2008, 08:46 AM
Ngonyama
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Adjusting an older rear shocks lowering kit. Please help.

First I promise that I spend a considerable amount of time looking over the forums on this one and found no answer!
I just bought a 95 Softail Custom with a set of apparently adjustable lowering kits for the rear shocks. I want to adjust them to return to the stock riding height if possible.
My question is1) Can it be done without removing the shocks? and 2) How to do it? I have a lift and all kinds of tools, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
I'm including a pic below.

[IMG]local://upfiles/50395/CA449D05E257426A99FAD948EFC28C78.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-06-2008, 11:00 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter
Received 492 Likes on 343 Posts
Default RE: Adjusting an older rear shocks lowering kit. Please help.

1st thing to remember with a Softail. Everything with the rr susp is backwards from what you think.
Adjust them in (shortening them). That adjusts the swing arm down (raising the motorcycle)
If it works like "most" adjustable lwr'ing kits, you should be able to get it within 1/2 of stock.

Good luck!!!

Old 01-06-2008, 12:56 PM
byersmtrco
Supporter

I meant to say 1/2" of stock. The adj sleeves are a tad longer than whats on the stock ones.

Old 01-06-2008, 03:30 PM
Ngonyama
3rd Gear

Thanks very much for replying!
I just found out in the Arlen Ness website that this is the #17-101 Adjustable Kit for Softail 89-99 Bla, Bla... The have very clear installation instructions posted but do not address the question as to if it can be re-adjustedonce the shocks arein place.
Funny, that, while everybody is in a race to lower their bikes, whatI want is to raise it!!!
Let's see if somebody else has experience with this kit and tells me about it. I sent a question to the Arlen Ness technical support in this regard.
Thanks again!
JJC

Old 01-06-2008, 04:32 PM
barhpr
Road Captain

Why do you want to raise it, if you dont mind me asking? Im looking to lower mine..

Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 AM
byersmtrco
Supporter

I just put mine back to stock. I had forgotten how nice the stock ride was. Frickin Cadillac . . . Well ok, not quite a Cadillac (aka EG,RG,RK).

I had mine lowered for a few years. 1" in frt & 1 1/2-1 3/4 rr. I thought I could get used to that harder ride. Once you bottom the frame out on the ground, in a turn andit picks up the rear tire and moves you over . . . You'll consider raising it back up. It happened to me. I saw stars !!!!

I even put those Prog 422's on it. What a waste that was. I guess for a heavier person, or someone who packs the OL all the time, they would be good. But in my case, they're not worth it. While giving a very controlled ride (Excellent rebound and all that) It rode more like a Mack truck than ever. For me and the type of roads I ride (Mountain roads, back roads, and some freeway) the stock shocks are good. Better ground clearance too.

As soon as Northern Calif's little monsoon is over, I'll try to get out and put some miles on my new/old shocks and my new (to me) Mustang seat.