Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnout Cycles Kit on 07 Deuce...

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2008, 07:47 PM
Mother
Road Captain
Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Burnout Cycles Kit on 07 Deuce...

Alright, I'm tryin to put this **** on and I've run into a couple hurdles.All on the right side, the leftis no problem.

First of all, NO WAY was the right side shock going back on with the kit installed. There just was not enough clearance. The only way I could get it to go was to remove the kit, then reinstall it with the shock in place on the bike.

Now, the current problem is the rear shock mounting bolt on the right side. Because of the additional length of the shocks, even in the lowest position, there is no longer enoughclearance to get a wrench on there.

Has anyone else put this kit on a 2007 Deuce? I'm certainly not new to turning wrenches, and I thought it was gonna be no problem, butthis hasme pulling my hair out.

EDIT---->> I'm wondering if the fact the the 2007 Deuce is 1" lower than previous years has anything to do with it. Am I starting with longer shocks already, or was the lowering done somewhere else? Anyone have any idea?

Old 01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Burnout Cycles Kit on 07 Deuce...

Mother
I'm not familliar with this kit myself but, make sure your tire
is suported with a thick enough piece of wood or bricks to
tuck the tire as far into the fender as possible. Slide the shocks
in and slowly raise your lift to bring the swingarm back down
into place.

Old 01-08-2008, 09:25 PM
Mother
Road Captain

Well, praise the lowered, I got it done... that right rear shock bolt is a real **** without much clearance. I was able to half-assedly get a wrench on it and turn it a hair at a time.

Yeah, I know how it should go in there, Crazy, but even with that tire tucked that sucker wasn't going. I'mstill wondering if the problems were due to it being an 07.Maybe a combo of the 6 speed tranny (is it shapped different at all?) and the bike being lower already.

Anyway, here's a crappy cel phone pic!

[IMG]local://upfiles/32264/8CE18BCAB29540B68293C7807AF826CD.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Crazy Canuck
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Oh SNAP!!!!
The hole attitude of the bike just change man. Perfect
height. Fender is lined up with the lip of the rim. Glad to
hear you got them in. Way to go.

Old 01-08-2008, 10:51 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Glad you got it figured out. I have installed the Burnout cycles kit and I have installed a lowering kit on an 07 Deuce - just not both at the same time. I used lowering bolts on the 07 Deuce and the Burnout kit on my 06 Springer. I used the burnout kit first. Then I decided to try the bolts. On the Deuce, I pulled the shocks and had the bolts installed for about $20. Including the cost of the bolts (also $20) I spent half of the cost of the Burnout kit. Since you have to pull the shocks either way, labor for me was about the same.

I feel your pain with the available clearance on the rear shock bolts. Don't think you missed any simple fix. Also, its not specific to the 07 Deuce's either. I ran into the same thing on my Springer. It's just turning them a hair at a time like you said. As I recall the Burnout kit adjuster nuts are some giant wacky size too that no normal combo wrench set contains. That was fun trying to get an adjustable up there.

Only thing I found was that if I lowered the bike to get the tire in the fender I ended up with the ground being in the way. If I raised the bike to get the ground clearance, I ended up with the swingarm compressing the available space to et the shock aligned and bolted up. My solution was to max out the bike lift, stack wood under the rear tire, and then lower it until the tire was bottomed out in the fender. That gave me both shock and ground clearance. It was still only turning that damn bolt a tiny bit at a time but with patience I got it done.

There was no way I could get a torque wrench in there to get those to spec (unless you drop the swingarm and then attach the shocks). I did the grunt method to get it close and then I marked vertical lines on those bolts with nail polish so I could see if they move over time.

Anyway, glad you got it done. Looks good.

PS: Not sure if this was a fluke for me or not but you might double check your belt to see if it went loose on you. After I lowered the Deuce I found the belt was way loose and I tightened the axle adjusters 1/2 turn or so.

Old 01-08-2008, 11:33 PM
DrawDown
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

bike looks great, just put my burnout kit on a couple weeks ago

Old 01-09-2008, 05:56 AM
Mother
Road Captain

Thanks for the tip on the belt, benson. I'll make sure to check that before I ride it too far. And yeah, it's a challenge getting a wrench on the rear 24mm adjuster nuts. The way the frame extends below them you can't get the wrench straight on them, you have to get it on at an angle.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:46 AM
BoneCrusher
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow man that slammed look is awesome. Nice work.

Old 01-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Mother
Road Captain

Thanks, BoneCrusher. Time to bring yours down too!

Old 01-09-2008, 09:50 AM
TurtleRacing
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What's the burn out cycle'skit?

Quick Reply: Burnout Cycles Kit on 07 Deuce...