Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Deluxe Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
dolphdeluxe
Stage I
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deluxe Exhaust

I'm sure this subject has been done to death, but I'm a newbie to the forum and the HD ownership...so here goes.

I purchased my 07 deluxe this past October after wanting one for years. I liked this bike from the start because of it's retro look. Now I have the desire to get a better sound but without changing the look too much. I actually like the looks of the stock pipes, but would like a deeper note. Anyone out there that can recommend a different muffler slip on. I've even been considering the Big City Thunder Baffles but I don't know if I would have to alter the existing pipes to make them work. Any thoughts

Old 01-27-2008, 05:44 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Deluxe Exhaust

I put the SE II slip-ons on mine along with the stage 1 kit w/download...dealer did all the work. Made a very good improvement over stock I think, but not overkill. I talked to Big City about their baffles and while they don't make a kit (or didn't) specifically for the deluxe...they do make a universal bafflewhich will fitthe SE II (with some mods I think)....but since I still have the warranty I wanted something that was covered by HD as well, and I didn't want to chance doing mods on something like that on a new bike....guess it's each person's choice...BC said they were planning on making a baffle for the SE II series, but no date as to when it will come out. Their current baffle only fits the original SE slip-on which is no longer available due to EPA I believe.... all in all I do like the sound of the SE II's, but if I keep the bike long enough, I probably would like to something else with the exhaust after the warranty runs out.

Old 01-28-2008, 01:39 PM
spikehyre
Road Master

Look at Rush slipons in a 1.75 baffle. Many dealers are now carrying Rush. Price is under $250 and you can use your OEM heat shields.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:37 PM
dlrshort
Road Captain

I second the opinion on Rush Slip ons....especially if you're looking to retain the look and economize. Even the quietest set ups sound great.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:46 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

You should be able to just remove the factory baffles and it'll sound more like a Harley and less like a Yamahonda.

If the mufflers are like every other Harley muffler, the baffles are welded in around the end. If you get a hole saw the right size, you just cut the weld at the end and knock the baffle out with a long extension. It's free, easy and makes a huge difference. The mufflers will then basically be open glasspacks.

If you don't have the correct size holesaw, you can also just knock the weld with a sharp flat head screw driver and a hammer. Work all the way around and after you knock the baffle out you can clean the weld up with a round file.

Old 01-28-2008, 02:57 PM
The Baron
Banned
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Scratch that, I forgot that your bike more than likely has cats.

Old 01-28-2008, 06:34 PM
marty44
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you buy slipons ask yourself if you intend to have a passenger. If you do you'll quickly find out they will burn their right bootheels on the upper pipe. That's because the Deluxe stock pipes go over & under the rear footpegs. It's a real drag to ruin your passenger's boots, not to mention the mess it makes of the pipe. You can replace the pipes and fix this design problem with pipes that both go under the pegs (see V&H BSS in sig pic below). It's more money but you might want to think about it before spending $$ on slipons.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:32 PM
Dc78
Intermediate

I second the V&H Big shot Staggards.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:38 PM
SplinterMC
Advanced

aye the BSS are nice I went to the dealer today and looked at them and heard them they are extravagant good rumble and good note

Old 01-29-2008, 07:49 PM
exrodder
1st Gear

Just fired up my 06 Deluxe with Rush baloney cut slip on's with 2 inch baffles tonite. I too liked the look of the pipes on one side but couldn't stand the sound. It has the sound I want now! Also did the air cleaner and Power Commander from Fuel Moto in a package deal and it was around $150.00 cheaper than ordering it from the catalogs and came loaded with map for the mufflers and a/c.

Quick Reply: Deluxe Exhaust