Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil check hot cold? kistand up??

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 07:03 PM
cheftail
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil check hot cold? kistand up??

I just purchased a 98 heritage. I am not sure how to check the oil. Should I let the bike warm up or check it cold? Do I need have the bike level or check it with the stand down?
Thanks

Old 02-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Ridedeluxehd
Road Captain
Default RE: Oil check hot cold? kistand up??

I just start my up, then shut it off, leaning on the stand I check it that way. you just want to make sure the oil is just below the Flange. It is a oil resevor not a crankcase so thats it

Old 02-04-2008, 07:31 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 55 Likes on 42 Posts

I check my oil a little warm. (If you check it
while getting fuel....what do you think!?)
You are supposed to check the oil with the bike "level".
So....what did I do? I checked the bike while level. THEN....
I checked it while on the jiffy stand and then made a mark on
the dip stick at the oil level while 'leaned'. It wasn't off much.

Chuck

Old 02-04-2008, 07:43 PM
DCS
Advanced

I don't know about a 98 and where the line is at on it's dip stick but on the 07 I have, the manual says if you check it on a cold motor pull dip stick and check to see there is oil at least on the bottom part of the dip stick with bike on kick stand. After bike has warmed up the oil level should read on the full line around the middle of the stick again from the kickstand position.

I would bet that onlater models the dip stick is calibrated to be read from the leaned over kick stand positionas well, easier than reaching down & behind youto grab the stick and then wipe for accurate read while balancing bike with your feet??

Later,
Dan

Old 02-04-2008, 08:57 PM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member

Received 208 Likes on 129 Posts

Always check your oil hot on an EVO. Bike should be on the sidestand on a level surface. When hot, it shouldn't go above the full mark. If it reads at the bottom edge of the stick, it's time to add some. EVOs drink more oil than the TCs do, especially if you're running hard.

Gotta watch overfilling it. Not good for the engine. The boiling point of water is 212 degrees farenheit. So, the oil should be getting at least that hot. On an oil cooler, the thermostat may open at 185, but the oil should run about 220 degrees to boil oout the water. Oil and water don't mix, and the viscous nature of oil, plus the specific gravity, means it boils at a much higher temp.

Also, always let the EVO warm. Most of the time, you can use the throttle wheel to keep it at about 200 rpms for about a minute, then back it down to about 1500. When the bike is warm enough to ride, the heads should be really warm to the touch. Otherwise, you put a lot of pressure on the engine before the seals have had a chance to seat properly. I don't recommend using the choke, as you can easily foul out the plugs, especially if youhave had a stage one kit installed.

EVos run best after about 20 miles or so to wake them up. If you know you are going to run hard with someone, you might want to putt it around the block for about a half hour, and take it real easy, until it gets warmed up. They rev quicker than a lot of the newer motors, but the gearing is different too.

They are a great motor, really sound, if you take care of them right. Plus, they have a personality all their own. You either love them or hate them. No in between.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Stretchman got it. What he said.

Old 02-04-2008, 09:51 PM
pistole
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

- fully warmed up.

- engine off.

- bike level (NOT ON KICKSTAND).

- pull out dipstick. There should be oil somewhere
between the top and bottom of the stick.

cheers