Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Minor Wreck - Insurance Advice Needed

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:52 PM
Apostle
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Minor Wreck - Insurance Advice Needed

Long story short, a lady cut across my lane to do a u-turn. Fortunately, we were at low speeds, and I managed to get the bike almost to a stop. The bad news is, I couldn't keep the bike up as I hit her rear quarter panel. Her car is undamaged. The Deuce has some damaged chrome...

I contend that it's her fault as she cut across my lane to do the u-turn. She disagrees. Here's the bad part - her husband is a cop. Although he wasn't there at the time of the accident, he'd already shown up by the time the local cops arrived. As you can imagine, they start talking their talk, and nobody is sited (blue forms exchanged.) After telling my side of the story, they called him. He contested (again, he wasn't there) and they're sending an adjuster to investigate. Should this be ruled my fault, I'm out $500 for the deductible. I'm trying to tally the cost of damages up to determine if a claim is worth it should that be the case. The damaged parts are below. Can anyone give me a swag at the cost of labor?

50370-04 – Skull Series Pegs $59.95
42710-04 – Skull Series Brake Pad $50.95
17211 – Vance and Hines Short Shots $349
69306-02 – Smoked Turn Signal Covers $37.95
58742-05 – Turn Signal Relocation Kit $44.95
45075-08 - Hand Lever Kit $99.95
68005-99 - Rear Turn Signal $147.95
Rear Brake Lever (no part number needed - can this be purchased seperate from a kit?)

Old 02-05-2008, 12:11 AM
Waltman
Tourer
Default RE: Minor Wreck - Insurance Advice Needed

Count your blessings, you were not hurt. If it was her fault as you state, stick to it. The husband is a cop? big deal, anything he might say has no merit in this case. If you have a witness more power to you. Your insurance will investigate and most likely will find the other party is at fault at least 51%and you at 50%, if so, they will have the other insurance pay for your deductible as well as any aftermarket part damaged. If you are claimingaround $800.00(plus tax) I would add another $400.00 for labor, but most likely the adjustor will have it all figured it out for you. Let's hope it is that way. Don't ask me how I know, I just do. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 04:38 AM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

File a claim with your insurance. They will fix the bike then go after her ins co durring the subrogation process. I had a guy make a right turn on a red while I had a green left turn arrow. My insurance supplied a rental car and fix my car. (I paid the deductablle) then after 3 months I got a check for all but $15 of the deductible. The insurance company will not hold you responsible if you were traveling in your lane and someone crossed into it. No need for a ticket to be issued for her to pay. I just means that the city/ctate doesn't get court costs.

AFTER you get the settlement and she is found liable file a professional misconduct complaint with not only his dept but the juristiction of the accident. Hthe husband used his postion to interfere with a police investigation no doubt Joe Citizen would have been told to leave the scene.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:30 AM
Branner
Road Warrior
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Agree with Buddha and would like to add one more thing. In doing her u-turn (legal or illegal) she was guilty in failing to yield right of way of an on-coming vehicle (you).

I'll be honest, if you had a police report it would be a lot easier, but an insurance company will determine liability basedon points of impact and traffic law. And witnesses, got any??? The company will not want to speak with the cop, they'll want to speak with ther driver.

Definately report this toyour carrier, that way they'll have your statement about how the accident happened.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:37 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

+ 1 with what Buddha4 said.

Insurance companies don't need a citation to explain the degree of blame. The insurance folks may or may not chase down your deductible for you. Somewhere in the fine print it is stated that it is THEIR choice on how to proceed. The more you squawk when filing, the more they know what you know, the better.

Most of your list is easy bolt-on stuff. Your bike will be as good as new.

I may ignor complaining to the Police about the misconduct. All of it seems within professional courtesy of contacting LEO when family members are involved in an incident. Some things are better left alone. (for example- if the whole thing got turned around and YOU got a citation after hubby showed up, then you'd have a better case to complain). JMHO.

Old 02-05-2008, 09:34 AM
DrawDown
Road Master

Thats exactly what it is, professional courtesy of contacting him because his wife was in a wreck. I'd hope they would do the same for me. I'm also not the type to ask for favors if my wife was at fault either, and who knows, he may not have either, so forget the complaint. Remember, the same one you bitch about now may be the same one you call when your robbed at gun point or someones breaking into your house. I will give you a piece of advice and im not being a smart ***, ALWAYS get an accident report. Theres no way to argue it, and IF there was a little bit of favortism to the cops wife on the scene, there would have been no way to show it on an accident report. Whoever is at fault is at fault, no if's and's or but's.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:16 AM
Apostle
Advanced

Big fan of Police officers. However, I'm not a fan of her husband showing up (she called him) and doing all of the talking. Also, not overly fond of them allowing him to tell them what happened when he wasn't there...

Old 02-05-2008, 10:30 AM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: Apostle

Long story short, a lady cut across my lane to do a u-turn. Fortunately, we were at low speeds, and I managed to get the bike almost to a stop. The bad news is, I couldn't keep the bike up as I hit her rear quarter panel. Her car is undamaged. The Deuce has some damaged chrome...

I contend that it's her fault as she cut across my lane to do the u-turn. She disagrees. Here's the bad part - her husband is a cop. Although he wasn't there at the time of the accident, he'd already shown up by the time the local cops arrived. As you can imagine, they start talking their talk, and nobody is sited (blue forms exchanged.) After telling my side of the story, they called him. He contested (again, he wasn't there) and they're sending an adjuster to investigate. Should this be ruled my fault, I'm out $500 for the deductible. I'm trying to tally the cost of damages up to determine if a claim is worth it should that be the case. The damaged parts are below. Can anyone give me a swag at the cost of labor?

50370-04 – Skull Series Pegs $59.95
42710-04 – Skull Series Brake Pad $50.95
17211 – Vance and Hines Short Shots $349
69306-02 – Smoked Turn Signal Covers $37.95
58742-05 – Turn Signal Relocation Kit $44.95
45075-08 - Hand Lever Kit $99.95
68005-99 - Rear Turn Signal $147.95
Rear Brake Lever (no part number needed - can this be purchased seperate from a kit?)

I would just submit this to your insurance company. I have never been able to win the "he said, she said" argument. Is this fair, hell no!! It seems like most insurance companies will repair their clients vehicle and leave it at that.They will offset this type of claim in the backgroud(like a IOU from insurance company to another company)The onlything I can say is the future you may want to get a $100 deduciable for this type of scenario.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:32 AM
DrawDown
Road Master

Oh trust me, i dont agree with them letting him tell the story either. Anyways, always insist on an accident report. Coming from an officer, it's the only way an insurance company cant argue fault.

Old 02-05-2008, 10:40 AM
FGC
Cruiser

you need to stick to your guns.she is at fault for failing to yield to oncoming traffic.a vehicle traveling straight almost always has the right of way and thats true certainly given your facts. also the citation would help but is not necessary.citations are criminal in nature therefor require proof beyond a reasonable doubt,the liability(fault) issue is civil and only needs a preponderance of the evidence standard.the ins co will try to proportin fault dont accept that-i also agree that if your ins.pays they most likly will not reimburse your deductable too much hassel for them to recover too little.ifher adjuster doesnt want to do the right thing file in small claims their legal fees will be more than it would cost to fix your bike so at that point they may step up.

Quick Reply: Minor Wreck - Insurance Advice Needed