Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

This Bothers me

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 07:51 AM
whitebread_30
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Bothers me

Down the street from me a guy has a 06 FXST. He leaves it parkedoutside anduncovered. I have seen this bike move maybe 3 times in the last 8 months.Last week winter has set in and it has snowed twice, I can see the weather just beating this bike down, I fell so bad for the bike I want to just stop and put my extra cover on it. It is really none of my buisness but, it just downright bothers me. I waited so long to get my bike I cant imagine just leaving it outside to rust. Anyone out there feel me?

Old 02-05-2008, 08:02 AM
Nightrider2
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: This Bothers me

Your not alone in your feelings, I drive by a V-Rod some kid leaves outside 24-7, it rains here in Orygun, and it's been snowing a lot as well. He's got a old rag on the bars, and down the tank, otherwise, it's all bare. Now, this spring when he goes out to start it, he'll cuss it out because it won't run, or won't run right. I'm like you, I've almost stopped and asked if he'd like to put it in my shop, but, with my 2 bikes, and my 57, it would be tight. I've worked my butt off to get these things i enjoy, and hate to see someone abuse them like that, none of my business though it's his money.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:14 AM
RACKnRAIL
Road Master

Geez...I even went to the extent that my garage was too damp in the winter. I store mine in my friends heated, bone dry garage for $10 p/mon, which imo is very cheap, considering my investment.

Some people just don't look after anything. They are usually the ones with the wheat field in the backyard cause they're too lazy to mow.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:18 AM
PoorBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Yea that is sad. I would be a good neighbor and try to help too. It is nice of you to offer an extra cover.

Reading your story gave me goose bumps and a flashback to my first neighborhood (shared) Harley. The year was 1967 and the family's son (living right next door to me) was a Marine whowas killedin Vietnam. The Marine had left his bike leaning against the house (jiffy-stand was broken) when he left home for the service (1965-1966?).

After some non-remembered amount of time the neighborhood kids were invited to "play" with the Harley. It was weather-beaten, tire rot, rusted here and there, and needed all sorts of attention. We could get it running and would order parts from J.C. Whitney that would keep the bike "down" till the parts came in. There were like five of us kids who would ride it in the woods and on occasion, have to push it back home again. We always kept it leaning in the same spot. The Marine's parents liked watching us all "tinker" in their backyard.

I never kept track of that old bike after my family moved away in 1969, I was twelve and can't even tell you (now) what kind of Harley it was. (I think it was a dyna-class, it had a noisy shock on the right side).

Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I understand what you mean. However, maybe he doesn't have room for the bike either, but he really wanted a bike so he got one. I think it's better to have a bike that's got some weathering on it, than no bike at all.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:25 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Got the same thing around the corner from me. Guy and I assume his wife, brother, or whatever keep a pair of V-Starsin front of the house rain or shine all spring, summer, and fall. They don't put them in the garage or cover themuntil the snow fly's. Then they dissapear till the snow and ice goes away.
Really odd part is that EVERY time I go by there, which is nearly anytime I go anywhere the bike's are out there, I have NEVER seen them being ridden,they are ALWAYS parked out front. Its like the're using bike's instead of Gnomes or some other kind oflawn jocky.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:29 AM
Live2Ride
Banned Camp
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Got the same thing around the corner from me. Guy and I assume his wife, brother, or whatever keep a pair of V-Starsin front of the house rain or shine all spring, summer, and fall. They don't put them in the garage or cover themuntil the snow fly's. Then they dissapear till the snow and ice goes away.
Really odd part is that EVERY time I go by there, which is nearly anytime I go anywhere the bike's are out there, I have NEVER seen them being ridden,they are ALWAYS parked out front. Its like the're using bike's instead of Gnomes or some other kind oflawn jocky.
If I could afford it, I'd have Harleys as lawn ornaments too!

Old 02-05-2008, 08:31 AM
Trapskelly
Cruiser

There's a 2005 RoadKing I've seen not too far from me
that is uncovered andchained to a pole like a bad dog
and from what I can see hasn't moved in the last 6 or 7
months. Just goes to show you, some folks buy the toys
and never play with them. Makes ya wanna turn'em into
the scooter patrol[sm=sigh.gif]What a waste.

Old 02-05-2008, 08:33 AM
Pooh AKA Bear
Road Captain

Somebody better call HPS (Harley Protective Services)!![sm=smiley2.gif]

Old 02-05-2008, 08:36 AM
farns
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I enjoy my Harley and can't tell you what ownership means to me.

But, it's nuts and bolts - if he wants to let the weather beat it to a pulp, that's his business.

Look on the bright side - you may be able to buy it in a couple of years with "factory oil" in it. lol.

Quick Reply: This Bothers me