Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question from a happy newbie

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2008, 05:07 PM
FLSTC08
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question from a happy newbie

Hello All, I've been lurking for a couple of months but 1st post. New to riding, wife thinks it's time for the mid life crisis and would rather have me in the garage polishing chrome than have me out having something else polished so she suggested a bike. Her reasoning is faulty but the result works for me.Occasionally they do something to make you think D*&% I'm glad I married that women. Bought a '08 Heritage Classic and am very pleased. Sorry no pics yet. Coming up on the 1K serviceand figured I'd do the stage 1 upgrade at that point. First post sale visit to the dealer today to discuss and was surprised by several things. I told him which pipes and air cleaner I was thinking of, first thing he said was OK but illegal, then he said Stage 1 download if I wasn't happy with how the bike ran then SERT. I said warranty, he said void. Up to this point it's going exactly like I expected having looked at this issue in some detail on this site. I cry BS and he calls the service manager who says if I'm not happy with the bike after the Stage 1 download,don't use the SERT, use the PCIII and he'd refund half the cost of the download, no warranty issues. I was somewhat surprised to have him offer that advice but was pleased to hear it. He didn't however say you could buy the PCIII with the proper setup, he suggested a dyno. He then quoted list price for the V&H pipes I was talking about, when I told him I could buy them on line for $100 less he looked up the web site to verify then said he'd match it. That surprised me 1st that they would sell aftermarket pipes, 2nd that they would cut 16% at the drop of a hat. Think I'd rather buy from the guy who offers his best price first not after being called on it.

After all that and after reading umpteen post on this subject I'm still unclear, so this is what I think I know and what I'm not sure off:
The Stage 1 download works if your using HD Stage I parts (exhaust, AC)
I'm probably never going to do any serious engine work so don't need the SERT. I've read the arguments about SERT vs. PCIII and understand that the SERT has more functionality but being a new bike with warranty to worry about it seems like PCIII is the way to go.
PCIII is 'tunable' for installed components do I still need the SE download to get a closer starting point or not?
For future service do I remove the PCIII prior to taking to the dealer? What's the consensus here.

Regards,
Mark

Old 03-11-2008, 05:21 PM
deadman77
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 138 Likes on 89 Posts
Default RE: Question from a happy newbie

Welcome to the forum.

You have asked the bazillion dollar question.
Everyone has an opinion on what to do and what to use. Warranty, no warranty.
Use the search feature and you will find more reading than you can stand.
I decided to go with a PCIII and a K&N air cleaner. Cost and no more mods are what made me go this way.
Read and research. You will find that you are more confused than you are now.
Its a tough deal. I would see if you can find someone that has the same year bike and the combination you are looking at and see whatworked for them.
Let us know how it all works out.

If you decide to go with the PCIII, check out Fuelmoto. They can preload a map for your combination and you may get by without dyno time. Just a thought.
MikeM

Old 03-11-2008, 05:53 PM
Waltman
Tourer

I went for the PCIII (premapped by Fuel Moto), K&N air filter and Rush slipons. Bike runs better, sounds louderand it's more responsive to throttle input. No need to have it dynoed with this setup. Should you decide to "upgrade" your engine components, then you can upload a new map to your PCIIIwith your computer.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:03 PM
voodoochild
Cruiser

Hey Mark,
what deadman said holds true.
What i can tell you is that i have a 2006 softail standard with vance and hines big radius pipes, hi flow air filterand the simple harley download. When my gf decided to change out the exhaust on her recently bought 2007 softail deluxe, we did a fair bit of research on where to buy and what to buy.
Eventually it boiled down to buying VH big long shots, harley race tuner, k and n air filter. Everything was installed at a dealer who also did several hours of dyno tuning. Dealer service was excellent and price was very good also.

To make a short story long, I cant find any fault in the way my bike performs with the simple download and although i expected her bike to run likea house on fire, it really doesnt seem to have that much more get up and go than mine. Her fuel mileage also is not as good as mine.

Just my 2 cents worth i 'spose. Either way havea blast with your new bike.
cheers
Ian.

[IMG]local://upfiles/54653/8F7A5C6F6644467481C9B29D8BC6499C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 03-12-2008, 05:55 PM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

IMO, I wouldn't waste my time with the Stage 1 download. The maps they use are crap. If they try to make you believe that it will be tuned precisely for your bike, they are lying. Stage 1 maps are the most generic there are. If you want to upgrade later to a PCIII or other fuel management system you will have to take your bike back to the dealer to have it un-downloaded (returned to stock map) before you install the new fuel management. Unless you plan on spending your time bouncing your throttle off the backstop, you don't really need a SERT. The best bang for the buck for the everyday rider is the PCIII. You can install and tweak it yourself. If you're not comfortable doing it yourself, you can take it to a local wrench and have them do it for probably half the price the stealership would charge you. I am putting Hooker Darksides ($270 on eBay) on my Bones and I am using a Dobeck TFI ($150 with military discount). The stealership wanted over $1600 for the same pipes and a SERT (with Dynotune). I don't plan on racing my bike, I just want it to run properly. I'll do it myself and use the extra cash for my trip to Myrtle Beach Bike Week.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:11 PM
FLSTC08
4th Gear

Good info guys thank you.
Being new to this the shear volume of options and information/misinformation is a little overwhelming.
Do I understand correctly regardless of which 'tuner' I go with I want to stay with them stock download and work from there?
The stock download with stage 1 upgrades and no 'tuner' won't hurt the bike it just won't run well, right?

Next question: Exhaust, on the Heritage the look of duals really appeal to me. I've read and heard you lose HP/torque with the duals and best case is a 2-1 exhaust.
Any ideas what numbers we are talking about with 2-2 as a base line vs. duals vs. 2-1

Thanks,
Mark