Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Headlight questions!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 05:54 PM
GPC
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight questions!

How much better is the head light on a fatboy vs softail custom? The fatboy has a physically bigger shell, but if you were to add special after market bulbs to both these models how much difference is there? I have lousy vision at night and need all the help I can get. IfI go with the fatboy I know I can add passing lamps for extra lighting but they just don't look good on a softail custom. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 03-27-2008, 05:59 PM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: Headlight questions!

I think it is a matter of size and aim. went from sportster to fatboy, I can see fine if the headlamp is aimed.

Old 03-27-2008, 09:04 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

There is no rule that says you have to keep either the stock bulb or the entire headlight assembly on a Custom. You can put in a Sylvania Silverstar, like I did and get a better brighter light in the stock housing. You can add an HID system, I'm sorry I don't remember who it is but there's a guy on the forums who can set you up with one that will fit the stock housing.
Or you can replace the housing with a completeHID setup.
THe Fatboy on the other hand has that "built in" style housing and I'm not sure you can do more than change the bulb or use the HD conversion setup.

Here's a link to the HID conversion kit for stock housings http://motorcyclemetal.com/gpage7.html

Old 03-28-2008, 08:16 AM
SCJE8
Club Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

GPC...what citoriplus said...the SilverStars are very good lamps and provide a marked improvement over the stock bulb. I like the HID setups that I have seen, but I am not familiar with the unit citoriplus was talking about in his response. I am personallyusing the HD dual bulb setup on my Fat Boy and am very pleased with the light pattern and output. It also draws a lot of attention...but as an HD rider you get used to that!

Good luck...

Steve