Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need advice on upgrade project

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 06:19 PM
jmorris42
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need advice on upgrade project

I have a 2007 FXST and I am getting ready to put Vance and Hines Short Shot Staggered pipes on it. I know I need the Stage 1 air filter kit and at the very least the fuel pak. But I'm wondering about the Thundermax module. Is it better to get the V&H Fuel Pak or the Thundermax auto-tuner so I can skip the tuning at the dealership which would save me labor costs? And would it be better to get the Stage 1 from Harley or try another air filter kit? Please help.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:18 PM
DCS
Advanced
Default RE: Need advice on upgrade project

I have the HD SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit on my 07 FLSTC, I have around 12,500 miles on the bike & filter & have not had any issues with the filter, I know there is a kit made by K&N that is very simular that requires you to clean & re-oil the filter for service, the HD SE kit I have does not require you to re-oil, just clean. If it were up to me, I would go with wich ever oneyou can get at the best price since they are simular.

I have done a little research in the past on the V&H Fuel Pak & seems to be very user friendly & easy to install & program, only draw back might be if you do some serious up-grades to the motor it might not do you any good. Not sure if the Thunder Max can handle serious motor upgrades but for sure someone might chime in on that subject. If you plan on leaving the motor stock & just doing pipes & air cleaner I would go with V&H due to it's simplicity.

Later,
Dan

Old 04-09-2008, 08:50 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer

ORIGINAL: DCS

I have the HD SE Stage 1 Air Cleaner Kit on my 07 FLSTC, I have around 12,500 miles on the bike & filter & have not had any issues with the filter, I know there is a kit made by K&N that is very simular that requires you to clean & re-oil the filter for service, the HD SE kit I have does not require you to re-oil, just clean. If it were up to me, I would go with wich ever oneyou can get at the best price since they are simular.

I have done a little research in the past on the V&H Fuel Pak & seems to be very user friendly & easy to install & program, only draw back might be if you do some serious up-grades to the motor it might not do you any good. Not sure if the Thunder Max can handle serious motor upgrades but for sure someone might chime in on that subject. If you plan on leaving the motor stock & just doing pipes & air cleaner I would go with V&H due to it's simplicity.

Later,
Dan
+1 on the Fuel Pak. I put it on my 07 deluxe. It was easy to install, I have had great luck with it, and V&H are quick with the answers if you email them a question. If you are wanting to do more than a stage 1 upgrade, I would talk to a tech at V&H. You may want to go with a PCIII or a SERT.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:16 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

If your just going to leave the base engine alone and don't have any future plans for it. Then the Fuel Pac or the PCIII will do you fine. If you have ANY thoughts for future upgrades, cams, head work and the like your better off going the extra buck for a system that will 'grow' with the upgrades. That means at the minimum a PCIII and I wouldn't recommend it.
Better off with a SERT, Thundermax w/Autotune or a Daytona Twin Tech. I don't know much about the Daytona system but its supposed to be good. The SERT will easily accommodate nearly anything you can dream up for the bike, but the down side is that its going to HAVE to be dynoed to make sure the maps match any installed goodies. The Thundermax w/AT is setup to operate and program very similarly to the SERT but it has the advantage of adjusting or fine tuning any map that's put in. So dynoing is not manditory, but could help get you a decent starting map. Where it really shines is in that it will constantly fine tune the map based on the conditions of the day. Major changes in altitude, humidity,and air tempratureare dealt with on a second by second basis.
The down side is that its not cheap and its not a simple plug in like the SERT or add-on like the PCIII. Its a complete replacement system with new wide band O2 sensors (Autotune only) that have to be installed and wired. Its not really hard to do, but you do need to take some thingsapart to install the O2 sensors and their cables.

Good luck and ride safe.

Old 04-10-2008, 01:24 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thundermax so then you dont have to rely on whether the dyno tuner was any good and also you can change pipes as your moods change

Old 04-10-2008, 09:17 PM
jmorris42
Novice

Hey thanks everyone. I decided to go with the Thundermax w/AT. I do plan on upgrading as time goes on and this will save time and money. Thanks again.