Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE pipes and FI adjustments

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 12:12 PM
grsgt1
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE pipes and FI adjustments

Hi guys

I posted this in other areas of this web site. Just looking for as many thoughts asI can.

I a very new owner of a BONE STOCK 04 FXSTDI and i have a question on a little upgrade I want to do to make itNOT sound like a hair dryer. My buddy has some SE pipes off his 04 SE Deuce that the front of the baffles are drilled out on. I know that they will fit but will I have any problems with my FI ? do you think that I will have a LEAN problem ar any other problems? What are your thoughts?

Thanks
GRSGT1

Old 04-10-2008, 01:00 PM
Vikingnomad
Road Captain
Default RE: SE pipes and FI adjustments

I would think that if you change your back pressure by opening the exhaust it will have an effect on you efi, was the bike they came off a carb ?

Bone

Old 04-10-2008, 02:50 PM
grsgt1
Intermediate

No it was EFI.

Old 04-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Deluxechuck
Tourer

I wouldn't do it. If the exhauset has been modified, who knows what you are going to have to do to tune it. If you take it to the dealer, they are probably going to charge you and arm and a leg telling you that you need to have a sert and a stage 1 installed. Then they will charge you another arm and a leg to put it on the dyno.

Old 04-10-2008, 05:10 PM
XARAN
Stellar HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 32 Posts

You already have a lean bike. If you only change the pipes and not the AC you can probably get away without any ECM changes. But since the pipes have been altered you may not have enough back pressure and actually lose performance , only gaining volume.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:57 PM
Chief101
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Drilling the baffles.....punching a hole thru them, whatever, generally results in a crappy sound and loss of performance ( dont ask me how I know that ) ...........the sound, while louder, is usually "tinny" sounding, not the deep Harley sound you will want...( dont ask me how I know that either, lol ).....
Get on ebay or somewhere and find yourself a set that are made for your ride. By the way, you can probably get by with just a pipe ( slipon ) change, but I wouldnt risk it. depending on how lean your bike already is, its just asking for trouble. If you decide to do it, watch your oil temp and keep a check on your plugs. But in the long run, your better off to get the A/C and pipes and then something like PCIII to match your setup. Believe me......been there/done that....you will be a lot happier.
Just my experience, your may not be the same. Good luck!

Old 04-11-2008, 06:39 AM
grsgt1
Intermediate

Cool thank for that info.

Old 04-11-2008, 03:31 PM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If they are free, go ahead and put them on. Generally speaking, when you leave the AC stock you can get away with a muffler swap without requiring EFI tuning or other modifications. It won't be the best sound but it will give you more volume and be closer to what you want to hear than the stock mufflers. You will likely get some decel popping too but most deal with it in exchange for the volume.

If they will cost you anything, you decide if its worth it. How many more dollars would you need to get a new AC, some better (or unmodified) mufflers or exhaust, and a remapping of the EFI or dyno tuning? How long before you'll do that? I'd say buy them unless he's asking more than $50

Also consider the possibility of getting those mufflers and adding aftermarket baffles. The newer SE slip-ons have removable baffles. The older mufflers have rivets that can be popped out to remove the baffles. The point being, you can take those mufflers and replace the baffles. Could be cheaper than new ones and possibly give you as good as or better performance over stock baffles.

Most people will agree:
[ol][*]A Stage I (AC, EFI map, and mufflers/full exhaust) is the best way to go.[*]You can change the mufflers and leave the AC and map alone.[*]If you change the AC you must change the EFI map (regardless of what you do to the exhaust).[/ol]