Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Helmet

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2008, 08:02 AM
HaydenHeywoodHayes
Club Member
Received 102 Likes on 34 Posts
Default Helmet

Okay, I admit to being a Newbie with a Harley, so please take pity on me for asking this, and I would be much obliged if no one pointed out the stupidity of my question as it will probably jump out at everyone who rides. But I trust my Softail Brothers to keep me in the fold, if even with a somewhat questioning look in their eye...so here goes.

While riding, and it's virtually all the time alone, I like to stop and get a cup of coffee (or chocolate malt to tell the truth). When I go inside on those occasions that call for it, I put my helmet on the upside mirror, and tighten the strap to prevent it falling off. It makes me wonder if it'll be there when I come back out, with a mental notion that some smart-a&* will take it just to rankle some bad-a*& Biker (not casting aspersions on anyone here...as I am not a bad-a*& by any stretch of the imagination). Anyway, to keep on track here, do you guys (and women that ride as well...neither am I a sexist, and I use the term "guys" collectively) secure your helmet to your bike in some manner when inside a restaurant or other establishment? If so, what is it? Do you leave it just sitting on a mirror and trust it'll be there? Is there some kind of bad JuJu that Karma sics onanyone that messes with a helmet of a trusting Biker?

Thanks, Y'all. I'm getting much more comfortable on the "Beastess" and can't believe how much enjoyment even a short blast to the Sunoco station can be...and riding further and longer is what drives this question...don't want to come out of a Steak & Shake and find I have no helmet with which to ride home!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:10 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Helmet

I ALWAYS LEAVE MY HELMET DANGLING FROM MY UPSIDE HANDLEBAR...NO ONE HAS EVER TAKEN IT. i think most people who dont ride would even think of it and anyone who does ride would not want to wear someone elses helmet anyway. i know i wouldnt wear another persons helmet

Old 04-18-2008, 08:18 AM
TXFXSTB
Cruiser

I am new to the forum, so I don't have any built-up credibility to run my mouth, but I used to be worried about the same thing. Honestly, all of my riding buddies have never had their helmet stolen, and I've never had a problem with it either. I agree with screamn_eagle that nobody is gonna want to wear your helmet, anyway. Also, relax. This is a non-PC forum. Anybody who talks to you like you are stupid is just trying to sound bad and probably cover up their own flaws. The only thing that I've seen that hacks people off on here is when some joker runs his mouth, or if a question is repeatedly asked where the answer could have been found in the search of a previous thread. I like chocolate malts, too.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:33 AM
rockerhead
Road Captain

Let those who would steal my helmet have 10,000 fleas invade their armpits!

Old 04-18-2008, 08:39 AM
sethhobrin
Advanced

I guess I have always just locked it up in a saddle bag, got a helmet lock device or taken it with me. Maybe its me but I don't trust people to not **** with my ****.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:41 AM
HDTide
Tourer

I leave my piece of junk helmet on a mirror. Never had a problem. My wife has a pink full face and worries someone will steal it, but it's always there when we return.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:43 AM
Fightn_Tiger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've been to many rallies and have always left my helmet(when required by law to where it) sitting on my bike..couple of years ago in galveston left my leather coat on the seat of my bike while i walked around, got back a few hours later and everything was still there......

People that ride usually respects other riders ****...

Old 04-18-2008, 08:45 AM
Sarge4life
Road Captain

I've never had a problem with it. It would take some pretty big stones to swipe a helmet, especially when there are usually more than a few Hogs lined up together and you never know who might be watching.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:51 AM
John Little
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used to just sit mine over my sissy bar, but since I removed it I just hang it off my highway peg. If it gets knocked off or the wind catches it, it doesn't have far to fall.

Old 04-18-2008, 08:56 AM
deadeye
Road Warrior
Received 92 Likes on 57 Posts

I leave mine on my rear brake pedal. Leave it on a footpeg or brake pedal and it won't draw as much attention as a helmet on a handlebar. Also--if it falls off, the 6 inch drop won't hurt it much.

Quick Reply: Helmet