Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installing Bob Tail Fender Rack on 08 Custom

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2008, 07:49 AM
harley_nova
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Installing Bob Tail Fender Rack on 08 Custom

Hi All, Was going to get the dealer to install the fender rack for my Custom but am having a hard time justifying the $72 an hour for labour.
I bought the Tri Bar LED light so I now need some bracket to make it fit properly.
So my question is, how hard is it to install. Rack and bracket.
I only have basic tools and basic knowledge, but I figure I could give it a shot.

Thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 04:29 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: Installing Bob Tail Fender Rack on 08 Custom

Its not brain surgery, you just need to be careful of the painted fender cause you have to remove or loosen most of the bolts.
Where it gets sticky is putting them back in without scratching things up. Don't ask how I know that. If you can get a friend to hold the fender for you while you start the bolts back in it makes it a lot easier. And make sure you use the correct sized Torx bit on the bolts or you WILL tear them up. They are in with a thread locker so they are very tight, but the bolt heads are often soft. I didn't like thaem at all and replaced them with new one's I made from chrome bungee nuts and polished stainless steel acorn nuts jammed on to the ends of threaded stainless steel rod with a bit of JB Weld in the nuts to make sure they stayed on permenently.

Here's a pic of what the racklooks like on top of the Tri-Bar light when its done.

Old 04-21-2008, 06:44 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

this might sound like a really stupis question, but..where the f'k does the thing bolt on

Old 04-21-2008, 08:24 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

That's not a stupid question. A stupid question would be the one you DIDN'T ask.
The tailight and the bracket both attach to the rear bolts in the strut under the fender. The bracket and tailight are three parts (if I remember right) with the bracket running across just under the light itself. The Rack attaches to that with two bolts and to a hole that's plugged in the middle of the fender just under the rear edge of the seat. They give you the fittings and bolt for the fender and the bracket.

Old 04-22-2008, 08:06 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah guys, I've found the need to have the bob-tail rack installed. Wanting to have it installed by the dealership- only because I don't want to scratch things up. I am not dough-heavy either, just getting extremely lazy in the middle age years. If they were to install one and THEY scratched it up, I'd be p!ssed. But, I doubt they'd fix it either. I'm running HD bags "permanently" mounted, but still think the ability to add another small bag of some sort would be quite handy.

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

Its not brain surgery, you just need to be careful of the painted fender cause you have to remove or loosen most of the bolts.
Where it gets sticky is putting them back in without scratching things up. Don't ask how I know that. If you can get a friend to hold the fender for you while you start the bolts back in it makes it a lot easier. And make sure you use the correct sized Torx bit on the bolts or you WILL tear them up. They are in with a thread locker so they are very tight, but the bolt heads are often soft. I didn't like thaem at all and replaced them with new one's I made from chrome bungee nuts and polished stainless steel acorn nuts jammed on to the ends of threaded stainless steel rod with a bit of JB Weld in the nuts to make sure they stayed on permenently.

Here's a pic of what the racklooks like on top of the Tri-Bar light when its done.

Old 04-22-2008, 12:32 PM
harley_nova
Tourer

Hey Korbenw7p3c,

if you don't mind me asking, do you know how long the Dealership is going to charge you in labour? 1 hour, 2 hours? I got robbed when they installed my Tri Bar light. Wanted to do it myself but they went and did it anyways. Told me the week before they had no time. Wish they didn't have time. Charged me 2 hours/ $144 for a F'ing tri bar light install.
Don't want to get robbed again, so if I know what to expect, then I can make sure they do it in that time frame.

Thanks

Old 04-23-2008, 06:30 AM
Korbenw7p3c
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I've not done it yet. Citoriplus has as well as the tri-lights. His looks very good. I'm really having a tough time covering up that fat fender. Still feel the need and necessity to have it put on soon for transporting goodies.

ORIGINAL: harley_nova

Hey Korbenw7p3c,

if you don't mind me asking, do you know how long the Dealership is going to charge you in labour? 1 hour, 2 hours? I got robbed when they installed my Tri Bar light. Wanted to do it myself but they went and did it anyways. Told me the week before they had no time. Wish they didn't have time. Charged me 2 hours/ $144 for a F'ing tri bar light install.
Don't want to get robbed again, so if I know what to expect, then I can make sure they do it in that time frame.

Thanks