Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TMAX/AT and Corbin seat fitment

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 06:43 AM
cagao
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TMAX/AT and Corbin seat fitment

hi guys, yesterday i received a Corbin Hollywood solo seat for my 2007 Night Train... i've got TMAX/AT, which is taller than the original ECU... so could not install the Corbin because the seat pan hits the TMAX... has anyone had this happened? any suggestions?

thanks in advance

Old 04-22-2008, 07:40 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts
Default RE: TMAX/AT and Corbin seat fitment

Are you sure its the TMax that's doing the hitting? I have one in my bike and don't remember it being any "taller" than the stock ECM. Yes its longer, but all of the extra length is at the bottom behind the fuse panel/block where the Auto tune module fits.
I believe that the threaded studsthat hold it in are actually the same size or taller than the unit itself, so I suspect you may have something else hitting. Do you have the security or siren module on top of the battery maybe?
Its hard to tell exactly what's hitting but one way you could try tofind out for sure would be to tape a piece of paper over where you suspect its hitting and tape a thin piece offoam to the bottom of the seat. Then when you install the seat it will rip the paper wherever it gts too close or touches. Pop the seat off and you'll have a better idea what's really hitting.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out. Might help someone else, like me,out later when I get round to maybe changing seats.

Old 04-22-2008, 05:56 PM
cagao
Advanced

thanks cito...i'm 90% sure its the tmax, the stock ecu has fins on top which don't start at the border of the unit, and a more important difference is that the two holesfor the bolts at the top arelike ears (they come out) see the pic (the red tape marks where the seat pan hits)... i'll have to wait until friday to remove the tmax and confirm that's the problem...

thanks again...take care...excuse my spelling and grammar...

[IMG]local://upfiles/49308/35ECDEB2BC5B4A87A0FA9EF977A83C19.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-22-2008, 10:32 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

OK, I think I see what you mean. Didn't realize that the units were that different.
BTW How the hell did you get all the nuts on the threaded studs? On mine there isn't enough room for the wide base/washer on the nuts to fit. I had to get some tube spacers, new nuts and lock washers to get the TMax bolted down.
As for the seat panif its made of metal you might be able to'dumple' it a little where its hitting with a wide blunt faced screwdriver or a piece of angle iron and a hammer to get theclearance you need. I can't tell youhow much clearance you need, but if its only something like a 1/4 to 1/2" that much of a dimple will be nearly impossible to feel when yoursitting on it.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:42 AM
cagao
Advanced

i wish i had thought of getting spacers for the bolts/nuts...the two nuts at the top (from the bolts) are not threaded all the way in...for the ones at the bottom managed to tighten them using thin nose plyers...the tmax is held in there quite snug (can't move it with my hands), so i didn't think nesessary to thread all of them...
the seat pan is made of a really hard plastic...doesn't bend...so far i think that i'll have to move those four bolts we are talking about a bit down, but keeping the metal base plate on the same place...
i'll post my findings on friday or saturday...it sucks that i waited five weeks for that really really really expensive seat to arrive, and doesn't fit because of another expensive mod i had made...
such is life!

Old 04-23-2008, 07:27 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

If its made of hard plastic and not a fiberglass type resin its an easy fix. All you need to do is hook the seat on and hold it up a bit. Then figure out exactly where its hitting and warm that sectionwith something like a heat gun or even a propane torch (use a low flame).
You should then be able toput the seat down and 'reform' the pan to match the top of the TMax.
The pan itself shouldkeep anyheat from bothering the foam behind it if you don't overdo it, but heating it upwill soften the plastic enoughso a little pressure (like you sitting on it) will make it change shape. Just put a couple of layers ofreal waxed paperbetween the two so it doesn't stick toanything under it if the plasticgets a little tacky.

Good luck and let us know how you make out.

BTW the spacers, nuts andlock washers were pieces I had laying around, but you can get them at any hardware store for a couple of bucks. If memory serves me you just need 10-32 hardware for it.

Old 04-27-2008, 01:54 PM
cagao
Advanced

solution was to move the tmax 1/4 down...turns out don't like it...

Old 04-27-2008, 03:13 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus

ORIGINAL: cagao
The stock seat does tend to 'spoil' your butt.

Old 04-27-2008, 07:46 PM
mojojones
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: cagao

Takes a Corbin a couple thousand miles to break in. That being said, the hollyood ain't gonna take the place of a gunfighter for long trips, but it's a good solo seat for trips 150 miles or so.

Old 04-27-2008, 08:11 PM
rbabos
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

CitoriplusI know what you mean about the nuts on the tmax. No way I could use the originals from the 07 Custom , so working in a machine shop, I just made barrel nuts with a slot at the top. Problem solved.
Ron