Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NEED ADVICE...shock adjustments..updated

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:41 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NEED ADVICE...shock adjustments..updated

i am sure this has been asked before, and i read thru the DIY posts on progressive shocks, and still dont understand. i was reading a post on an unrelated subject when the rear shocks came up. many of us who own softail models have "progressive shocks" in the rear. my owners manual says my shocks are adjustable but i never messed with them. can anyone shed some light on the difference between the two and the cost of the progressives? also, has anyone adjusted their stock shocks

Old 04-22-2008, 10:57 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: progressive shocks

Stock shocks are "free" (i.e. no additional expense since they come with the bike. Progressive 422's are +/- $350.

Stock shocks are ok for most. They have a preload adjustment to stiffen them up or soften them depending on how much weight you are carrying or if you ride 2-up a lot. Stock shocks are not adjustable for ride height without a modification kit installed.

Progressives have the same preload adjustment capability as stock shocks plus they have a progressive operation (hence their name) that reportedly gives a better ride over the stock shocks. Additionally, Progressives offer the ability to adjust the ride height.

It's a personal taste and individual comfort thing. Some people think the stock shocks are ok. Others have back problems, are heavier riders, or are just extremely sensitive to the ride characterisitics and prefer the Progressives. Of course there are also a select few who buy what everyone else does, want bragging rights for having swapped parts out, or simply can't leave well enough alone.

If you have the dollars, go for it. Consider getting the Progressive shock for the springer front end too. Every little bit helps.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:11 AM
bensonjv
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I did adjust my stock shocks. I bought lowering kit for the rear. It allowed me to lower the rear end using the stock shocks. I personally don't notice any difference in ride performance except for the bike being lower to the ground and ocassionally scraping pavement when aggressively leaning in turns.

However, many have reported a rough and hard ride when lowering their bikes. It's a combination of rider preference and how low they go. The lower the shocks are set, the less travel they have available before they bottom out. That creates the rough ride they describe. Progressives can help with that but only to a point. There is a trade off of ride comfort and performance in exchange for lowering. There is no way around that. You just have to decide how much of each you are willing to live with or without.

Old 04-22-2008, 11:12 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

cool thanks...i didnt know the front springs can be adjusted either... my thought was to be able to lower the bike an inch or two, with out compromising the ride too much. can that be attained or am i way off base

Old 04-22-2008, 11:14 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

how hard is it to put a lowering kit on a bike, keeping in mind im an idiot when it comes to mechanics....is it something best left for the dealer or an indy to do, and any guess on parts and labor cost?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:43 AM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

man it's not a tough job at all. just a few nuts and bolts. I'd buy those progressives and just lower it to the height you want. just study the way the stock ones are on there, study the manual to install new ones and you should be set. you'll need to buy some loctite, red and blue I think. also if I remember right theres metric and english both. you'll need a jack, and it's easier to have somebody help hold the rear tire.
if money is not an object, I'd go with an air system. raise and lower with the push of a button, but I think those go for like 800 bucks.

ORIGINAL: screamn_eagle

how hard is it to put a lowering kit on a bike, keeping in mind im an idiot when it comes to mechanics....is it something best left for the dealer or an indy to do, and any guess on parts and labor cost?

Old 04-22-2008, 11:58 AM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

THANKS FOR THE INPUT, BUT 800 IS TOO MUCH, i think ill look into regular progessives
thanks

Old 04-22-2008, 12:03 PM
imboden
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 57 Posts

lol, I hear ya man, I did the progressive route too, I couldn't drop 800 on air. seriously though its not too tough, and if ya get stuck just hop and here and ask. no question is dumb

Old 04-22-2008, 02:07 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: imboden

lol, I hear ya man, I did the progressive route too, I couldn't drop 800 on air. seriously though its not too tough, and if ya get stuck just hop and here and ask. no question is dumb
you got to understand....I DONT EVEN KNOW WHERE THE F'N SHOCKS ARE...ROFLMAO

Old 04-22-2008, 02:34 PM
jumporjerkoff
Tourer

SE... why dont you try the burnout cycles lowering kit, very easy, all you have to do is remove your stock shocks (try saying that after a few beers) and screw on the lowering kit, got mine from JPcycles 100bucks.......

Quick Reply: NEED ADVICE...shock adjustments..updated