Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

power commander install

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 08:35 AM
fatboyartie
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default power commander install

hey sisters and brothers,
i need some info. is it easy to install a power commander 3 and where is it located.your comments and help will be greatly appreciated!

thanks,ride hard and safe,
artie

Old 04-30-2008, 09:20 AM
King FLH
Road Captain
Received 38 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: power commander install

It's real easy. You take off the seat, undo a couple of tabs holding the relays, push em down. Take off the ECM and replace the "tray" ot sits in with the one that comes with the PC. Then you unplug the harness from the ECM, and plug the PC into the ECM. Then, plug the pigtail of the PC into the plug you pulled off the ECM. Secure everything down, and use the 9 volt battery adapter to power it while you download a canned map for the combination of pipe/intake you are running. You can do this even before you put it in the bike, but it's better if you do it in the bike cuz there are adjustments to make with the motor running. It's kind of a tight fit under the seat, but it all fits nicely. About a 2 beer job.

Old 04-30-2008, 09:46 AM
rsavage
Tourer

Depending on year of your softail, you may have to mount it in front of the rear splash shield (between the shield and behind the battery area) where the alarm is or goes, as it won't fit under the seat and the one for your model may not come with the deeper computer tray. It is easier to download the map at your home computer prior to installation, as long as you have a usb port and a cd drive. You will still need the 9 volt battery to power the unit while you download. The download takes seconds. You can check the powercommander (Dynojet) site for the latest maps if there is not a precisely matching one on the disc for your particular exhaust ac combination. Certainly a job that you can do. trickiest part is fitting the unit, plugs, and wiring carefully so that they don't get pinched or abraded.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:02 AM
aviator
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

+ 1 on the splash shield location. also, if you get it from FuelMoto, it comes with the MAP already loaded..... just plug & go!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:19 AM
fatboyartie
Intermediate

thanks,fuel moto is where i got it!

Old 04-30-2008, 10:22 AM
fatboyartie
Intermediate

sounds great,for me i think probably a 3 beer job as it will be my first.thanks again

Old 04-30-2008, 10:23 AM
fatboyartie
Intermediate

thanks for the info.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 AM
tk353
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ditto on behind the shield location but on 07 and newer you dont need to bend any tabs or remove the metal bracket as there is already a hole to run the cable thru and it will go between the relays and wiring bundle but removing the tie raps is needed. I saw some great pictures on this web site on how to. Also i left the usb cable on and under the seat so the dyno tuner could access it.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:35 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I put a slightly deeper tray (came with PCIII) for the ecm in my bike and piggybacked the pcIII on top of the ecm with velcro. My bike is an 02 with a non stock seat but it works great. No problems after a year and a half or so.

Old 04-30-2008, 10:56 AM
Simatank
Tourer

I put my PC111 behind the splash guard on my 07 nighttrain and it turned out good i got help on here to and it works great I think it took me 4 beers and it was all done

Quick Reply: power commander install