Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Cheap Mods

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2015, 09:35 AM
Scott Moore
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by T-Dub
For my 2" tank lift, I took a metal shelf bracket, cut it, and ground it to "Tombstone" shape with my angle grinder, drilled two holes in each 2" apart. Bought two bolts, two nylon lock nuts, and a bag of washers. Simple install. Remove original front tank bolt, lift tank, install lift brackets and bolts with lock nuts in the tank, use original bolt and nut for the bottom. Stacked the washers 1" high and added superglue. Used that for the rear lift.

less than 20.00 invested. Beats the hell out of 50-70.00 from ebay.

Do you have a picture? I'd like to see the front lift. I've been wanting to lift the front of my tank on my Heritage.

Old 10-29-2015, 10:50 AM
raggmann
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

One thing on the tank lifts, if you run a quick attach HD windshield the brackets may hit the tank on full turn. I spent the time and made a 1-1/2" lift for my Softail Deluxe and the windshield bracket would hit the tank so I threw the lift in the trash.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:14 PM
moraink
Intermediate
Default Repainted Inpsection Cover

Thought I'd share. I bought my bike used and my inspection cover had a huge scratch on it. After shopping around and not seeing anything I liked, I sanded mine down and repainted it. Just finished and haven't even put it on the bike yet. First time posting a pic, hope it works.

Attached Thumbnails DIY Cheap Mods-image.jpeg  
Old 01-21-2016, 07:16 PM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Down and dirty bright stealth front turn signals. cheap and effective.

I decided to mess around with creating "stealth" mini front turn signals using the newest type of ultra bright T10 LED bulbs found on amazon. I had an extra pair since I bought 4 of them for my Nissan Frontier.

Anyway, this took me a whole whopping 20 minutes to install (I had already removed the stock turn signals and tucked the wires back into the handlebars).

Parts needed: solder, 26 gauge wire scrap (about 16"), heat shrink, 3M automotive trim double stick tape, acrylic conformal coating. If you are removing your stock turn signals you'll need new bolts to hold the mirrors.

LED Bulbs used (comes as a pair for $11): www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RYT02WQ
Acrylic Conformal Coating (use this to waterproof any electronics- seriously excellent stuff with many uses, $11):
MG Chemicals 419C Acrylic Lacquer Conformal Coating, 55 ml Bottle, Clear: Epoxy Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific MG Chemicals 419C Acrylic Lacquer Conformal Coating, 55 ml Bottle, Clear: Epoxy Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The process is pretty easy. I first dipped the bulbs into the conformal coating and let them dry (using an alligator clip on a wire). I dip all of my led auto bulbs into that stuff and they never fail from moisture. this stuff makes them completely water proof. You dip the entire bulb, LEDs and all- the coating is clear and does not affect light output. hang the dipped bulbs and let them dry for a few hours.

Next, solder some thin wire scrap onto the left and right pads of the LED bulbs - make sure to scrape off any of the coating first if its on the pin pads- each piece of wire should be about 4" long. thin flexible 24/26 ga silicon wire is best like the kind used on RC quadcopters. You can use all black wires because these bulbs can be hooked up any direction, there is no set + and - direction. You'll connect the wires from the bulbs to the black and purple stock wires, solder, use heat shrink to cover the connection, then tuck the wires back into the wire channels under the handlebar controls. It is very self explanatory once you look at it. Use 3M body trim tape to stick the bulbs up under the handlebar controls. done.

Summary: $22 in parts if you also buy the coating dip, and 30 mins to 1hr to complete.

These LEDs are extremely bright and highly visible even in full sun- they will shine forward and directly downward once mounted.

From normal distance the led turn signal bulbs are pretty invisible:

Closer shot of the mounting locations- they just stick underneath on the flat areas of the handlebar controls and these locations are adjacent to the wiring outlet channels

Brightness of turn signal in daytime- sorry my headlight is washing out the photo- I have an 80w LED bulb retrofitted into the stock housing and it is stupid bright.

Last edited by LA_Dog; 01-22-2016 at 10:27 AM.
The following users liked this post:
drummin1 (01-27-2021)
Old 01-22-2016, 07:21 AM
RedRyderm
Novice
Default LED turns

Best stealth I have seen yet.

Thanks Dog

Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 PM
Valdemar
Tourer
Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by LA_Dog
Down and dirty bright stealth front turn signals. cheap and effective.

I decided to mess around with creating "stealth" mini front turn signals using the newest type of ultra bright T10 LED bulbs found on amazon. I had an extra pair since I bought 4 of them for my Nissan Frontier.

Anyway, this took me a whole whopping 20 minutes to install (I had already removed the stock turn signals and tucked the wires back into the handlebars).

Parts needed: solder, 26 gauge wire scrap (about 16"), heat shrink, 3M automotive trim double stick tape, acrylic conformal coating. If you are removing your stock turn signals you'll need new bolts to hold the mirrors.

LED Bulbs used (comes as a pair for $11): www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RYT02WQ
Acrylic Conformal Coating (use this to waterproof any electronics- seriously excellent stuff with many uses, $11): MG Chemicals 419C Acrylic Lacquer Conformal Coating, 55 ml Bottle, Clear: Epoxy Adhesives: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

The process is pretty easy. I first dipped the bulbs into the conformal coating and let them dry (using an alligator clip on a wire). I dip all of my led auto bulbs into that stuff and they never fail from moisture. this stuff makes them completely water proof. You dip the entire bulb, LEDs and all- the coating is clear and does not affect light output. hang the dipped bulbs and let them dry for a few hours.

Next, solder some thin wire scrap onto the left and right pads of the LED bulbs - make sure to scrape off any of the coating first if its on the pin pads- each piece of wire should be about 4" long. thin flexible 24/26 ga silicon wire is best like the kind used on RC quadcopters. You can use all black wires because these bulbs can be hooked up any direction, there is no set + and - direction. You'll connect the wires from the bulbs to the black and purple stock wires, solder, use heat shrink to cover the connection, then tuck the wires back into the wire channels under the handlebar controls. It is very self explanatory once you look at it. Use 3M body trim tape to stick the bulbs up under the handlebar controls. done.

Summary: $22 in parts if you also buy the coating dip, and 30 mins to 1hr to complete.

These LEDs are extremely bright and highly visible even in full sun- they will shine forward and directly downward once mounted.

From normal distance the led turn signal bulbs are pretty invisible:

Closer shot of the mounting locations- they just stick underneath on the flat areas of the handlebar controls and these locations are adjacent to the wiring outlet channels

Brightness of turn signal in daytime- sorry my headlight is washing out the photo- I have an 80w LED bulb retrofitted into the stock housing and it is stupid bright.

....I prefer the turn signal originals...

ALso...I hate the carbono viniyl of the upper fork, please, I dont understand elements of carbono in softail with chrome, black paint and polished elements.

Old 01-25-2016, 12:15 AM
LA_Dog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Valdemar

ALso...I hate the carbono viniyl of the upper fork, please, I dont understand elements of carbono in softail with chrome, black paint and polished elements.
Wow- Just what we need, a fashion critic. I'd say you should go with the pink and white "hello kitty" paint motif with chrome everywhere, plus matching jacket / helmet. That's always a popular one on softails.

(I'm just kidding with you- but really, you shouldn't be telling other members you hate their bike. If you don't like how someone's bike looks - that's totally cool as we all have different taste- but be polite and keep it to yourself.)

Last edited by LA_Dog; 01-25-2016 at 12:21 AM.
Old 01-25-2016, 08:26 AM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

who gives a **** what you like.

The following users liked this post:
FLYER (07-17-2016)
Old 01-25-2016, 01:17 PM
EagleRay
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 100 Likes on 96 Posts

Why don't you post a pic of your scoot so we can tell you what we hate about it!

Old 01-26-2016, 02:17 PM
stixman_576
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Love it! Small, sleek, stealth!
I may have to look into doing that.

Quick Reply: DIY Cheap Mods