Softail Models Standard, Custom, Night Train, Deuce, Springer, Heritage, Fatboy, Deluxe, Rocker and Cross Bones.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Thundermax MPG?

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 11:05 AM
jtmurph00
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thundermax MPG?

Just wondering what kinda mileage anyone with a thundermax w/ auto tune is getting?
Right now Im happier than hell with my SERT, Ive got it set up kinda lean to squeeze out a few extra MPG. I added an HD oil cooler and am running all synthetics to compensate for any heat issues with being lean.
The appeal of the thundermax is I cant seem to keep an exhaust & a/c set up for more than a few months so it would more than pay for itself with the avoided dyno time. Plus the auto tune part is just really interesting to me.
I figured Id ask here to see if any body else with a softail had specific experience instead of in the engine threads. thanks

-jt

Old 05-19-2008, 06:36 AM
indigoblue2001
Advanced
Default RE: Thundermax MPG?

Good question.

I just installed the Samsons True Duals 28.5 inch Longtails with a HD Stage 1 and a ThunderMax on my 2007 Deluxe. First 100 miles weren't to smooth and some "chatter & popping" from the pipes but after that, the miles have all been smooth as glass and a measureable performance boostand better mileage.

NOTE: With the ThunderMax, the unit continously "tunes" the bike, regulates the mixture and provides the smoothest ride I'vehad on the bike, even better than it was when it was new.

With the TunderMax, the bike runs more efficiently, shifts easier/smoother, has better throttle response and runs effortlessy.Even at 80mph, the bike doesn't seem to be working hard at all.

THUNDERMAX ROCKS!!

COMPLETLY happy with the Thundermax.

Next year I am planning on adding new Heads, Cylinders, Cam, etc and the ThunderMAx will once again, pay for itself.

Thundermax is the way to go.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:46 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: indigoblue2001
First 100 miles weren't to smooth and some "chatter & popping" from the pipes but after that, the miles have all been smooth as glass and a measureable performance boostand better mileage.
COMPLETLY happy with the Thundermax.
Not sure about the mileage thing, haven't bothered to check it yet.
But otherwise I have to agree, its made a nice ride even better.
Just for grins I would like to waita couple of thousand miles for it to have things completely dialed in and strap it down to a dyno. Just to see what its done to the HP/Torque performance.
But I'm a cheap SOB so I don't think I'll be spending the bucks just to confirmwhat my azz has already told me.

BTW indegoblue, have you noticed that the engine accelerates a lot more smoothlywhen you roll on the power from tooslow a speed in6th gear than before? Mine doesn't seem to want to jump out of the frame the way itdid before I installed it.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:38 AM
indigoblue2001
Advanced

Citoriplus:

Exactly, I noticed the same thing, nice "solid" acceleration from the bottom of 6th and up.

I have to admit, I had my doubts at first about the cost of the ThunderMAx, then after doing the math, I would have spent the same thing for a HD Race Tuner and Dyno time.

Very happy with my decision to go with the ThunderMax. Can't wait to get home from the office and RIDE.

Ride safe.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:11 AM
airheads
Former Sponsor

Hey I'm interested in getting a Thundermax for my Rocker C - are there any mounting issues? I haven't seen anyone posting about putting one on the Rocker.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2008, 10:44 AM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

ORIGINAL: indigoblue2001
I have to admit, I had my doubts at first about the cost of the ThunderMAx, then after doing the math, I would have spent the same thing for a HD Race Tuner and Dyno time.
I was the same way until someone posted a note about a place (can't remember who/where now) that was trying to get rid ofthe ones they hadin stock.Zippers had told them that they were not going to allow them todiscount the units anymore, so they were dumping the ones they had.
I managed to pick a Tmax w/Autotune from them for just under $600 delivered to my house. So it was a near no brainer at that price.

Airheads,
I don't know of anyone who has one on a Rocker yet. But there was a guy who had a little problem putting one under an aftermarket seat because its about 1/4" taller than a stock unit. With that plastic cover over the battery and electronics on the Rockers and X-Bones you "may" have similar issues. It was only a week or so ago but I can't remember exactly how he fixed it. I don't think it was all that complicated, but if you do asearch for Tmax info you should be able to find the thread about it.

BTW did you know that "airheads" is a nickname use to describe older BMW Boxer engines? The newer ones are called "Oilheads".

Old 05-19-2008, 01:20 PM
airheads
Former Sponsor

ORIGINAL: Citoriplus

BTW did you know that "airheads" is a nickname use to describe older BMW Boxer engines? The newer ones are called "Oilheads".
Thanks Citoriplus -

No, I didn't know that about the name 'airheads' - interesting though. I have that name because I used to do airbrush work. Now, too busy to do much of it.

Thanks